The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-16-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
I don't know what instructional material is covered in these series. I know one thing for sure, nobody has, does or will master the guitar. Playing is a learning process that will never end until the day you die.
While I acknowledge the sentiment of your statement, the word "master," among a plethora of other meanings, in this context means "an artist or performer of great and exemplary skill" and "highly skilled or proficient," not to have "total domination" or "absolutely perfect understanding and proficiency," IMO.

So the publisher decided to call one series, not one book, "Mastering the Guitar," indicating to me that this is a road to travel in the becoming of a proficient guitarist. If one completes the series, from what I see in the last volume, one will be well on one's way.

Regards,
Bill
Old 08-16-2009, 06:19 AM

You mean I won't have the guitar mastered after I finish book 1A????
What a ripoff!!! I want my money back!
just kidding
I think Broadus pretty much sums it up. I'm going to use this book as a path to learning and improving various technique and also branch off into learning songs in these different styles.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
While I acknowledge the sentiment of your statement, the word "master," among a plethora of other meanings, in this context means "an artist or performer of great and exemplary skill" and "highly skilled or proficient," not to have "total domination" or "absolutely perfect understanding and proficiency," IMO.

So the publisher decided to call one series, not one book, "Mastering the Guitar," indicating to me that this is a road to travel in the becoming of a proficient guitarist. If one completes the series, from what I see in the last volume, one will be well on one's way.

Regards,
Bill
Bill, I agree with you...I guess, it's a marketing ploy.
Anyway, my statement was more directed to those who are very impressionable and/or mislead by the material that is available out there.
It reminds me of a comment Jimmy Bruno once made in one of his videos. He talked about scale exercises that are available, which are not in the best interest in playing efficiently. Anybody can publish instructional books with all sort of scales and fingerings, but if there is no logical explanation for why and how it relates to other things, it's probably better to stay away from them. Technique, IMO, is one those things that has to make sense deep in your own mind, otherwise it will always a struggle to apply it and to develop any kind muscle memory along with one's musical development.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write