The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-09-2009, 06:12 AM

Default Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine back to stay?

I received this email last week from Fingerstyle.Ca group:

Well, this is good news. Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine has a new owner and will be back on Newsstands, or in your mailbox, shortly. I highly recommend you subscribe to this magazine as it is easily the most important print media for the genre - connecting and giving a voice to players, fans, and enthusiasts from around the globe.

I have spoken with the new owner several times and I can tell you that he is not only committed to maintaining the integrity of the magazine - evidenced by the fact that he is keeping Bill Piburn at the editorial helm - but also plans to enhance both the magazine and the website with many new and relevent features.

The upcoming issue (#69), will feature, among many others, Andy McKee, Tim Sparks, and Brad Richter.
Issue #70 will feature Tommy Emmanuel, Steve Wariner, John Knowles, have a review of this year's CAAS Convention, and detail the new initiatives in store for Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine Subscribers.

As fingerstyleguitar.ca and Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine's goal is essentially the same - to bring together and strengthen the Fingerstyle Guitar Community - I am happy to report that we have begun to work together on this goal and hope to continue working together in the future.

Let's hope the new owner can pull this off.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Great. I think my subscription was running out, not sure. I'll have to check the mailing label of the last issue I received. Too bad it doesn't come out monthly, I think that would greatly increase circulation, but it would be hard to maintain the high quality of the issues.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 AM

Personally, I feel a bit leery about engaging once again with this magazine given the atrocious lack of professionalism, integrity and just basic decency they displayed in the past.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:49 AM

ewalling...

Quote:
"Personally, I feel a bit leery about engaging once again with this magazine given the atrocious lack of professionalism, integrity and just basic decency they displayed in the past."
Could you elaborate on that? I've never been a subscriber but I've read a couple that a friend had, and enjoyed some of the articles.

What are the issues regarding their past?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 PM

I subscribed to 6 issues around two years back. On two occasions months passed before they delivered an issue. I emailed them several times on both occasions and never received an answer. One issue, the one featuring Alex de Grassi was simply missed out. One or two threads appeared here on the forum around a year ago and I learned that my experience was the norm. Around four months ago I decided to buy one back issue because it contained a version of Walkin My Baby Back Home; I thought there couldn't be a problem with a back issue...It never arrived and there was never any word as to why not. Yes, the magazine was fine, but the people running it...a disaster!
Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 PM

HOORAY! Thanks, Ron, for sharing the good news.

Will

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write