The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-12-2023, 03:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I think I was in my own head within my own career when I chose that word. Sorry to paint such a mediocre picture. I really like joyously skipping! This is what pops in my head...

Haha! That's much better- only I wish i had a shirt that cool.
Old 04-13-2023, 04:20 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
The happiness is catching!
Old 04-14-2023, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

So here I am trying to conceptualize what Ben is doing here, as I'm plagiarizing some of what he had written me.

First, Ben says that Mahogany is his favorite for necks. He starts off by measuring the break angles that accommodate the angle of the nut that is skewed due to the multiscale.

With that scale, the nut is rotated 8.7 degrees off square. This results in the plane of the headstock being rotated several degrees to the right of the plane of the neck shaft.

This last picture, you can really see the different plane angles from the fretboard to the headstock.

Old 04-14-2023, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...With that scale, the nut is rotated 8.7 degrees off square...
What a great summary of the attention to detail needed for a fine guitar. When I tried woodwork (and gave up quickly) getting an angle within a few degrees was my goal. Ben's goal is getting it spot on at a tenth of a degree!

Nice to see this guitar moving forward.

Last edited by colins; 04-14-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the comments Kevin, Dennis and Colins. Warp speed ahead!

Ben has the box closed, but was able to allow me (us) to look under the hood. He pre-carves and bends his braces and everything fits absolutely perfect...

In case you were wondering, the P.U. does not refer to the smell of Ben's shop (as I'm sure it smells marvelous). It is a reminder that we will be putting a K&K pickup with a mini jack.

Here are things before closing things up...

This is where warp speed comes in... Just imagine Ben being one of those Mandalorians on one of those cool recommissioned Death Stars traveling through the galaxy at light speed. On board would be Ben in a workshop that looks just like his garage. These photos are additional proof that Einstein's Theory of Relativity is valid. This is the way!

Some more awe-inspiring silking...

Last, but not least, the end graft getting prepped...

Last edited by nootis; 04-17-2023 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

I think I’m going to forever think of Dan and Ben holding hands joyously skipping from now on. That picture of the spruce coming to that sharp point across grain is inspiring. Having recently being able to enjoy hearing a Brazilian nautilus, I know how much of a treat you’re in for. I’m loving the updates.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 04-17-2023, 12:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ryan and I are sitting here in the BWI airport on the return leg home to the shop.
And this pops up to inspire us luthieristically. It makes the return trip one of glad anticipation (Ben’s work always spires me) of getting back to it.
Thanks for providing the stimulus!
And of course—Ben’s work is flawless. Thanks for the depression…

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-18-2023, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your comments Steve and Ryan. I hope you had success at Artisan, and I too marveled at how that last tiny little point on the comma cutout didn't get ripped out. Ben definitely isn't afraid to walk the tightrope. His work is indeed inspiring and is as clean and precise as anything I've ever seen.

I don't have any new updates to show, but I'm "joyously skipping" ahead. A couple of weeks ago, Ben and I had an email conversation where he jolted my memory of what we had initially discussed with this build. I'm always a sucker for cool and unique inlays, but I'm also cognizant that there's a time and place for them. It really depends on the guitar, the builder and what is going on with the whole vibe, IMHO.

When it comes to bling, Ben prefers to be a minimalist. With most of his guitars, he lets his woodworking skills and the wood itself do the talking. When he does incorporate a little bling, it is usually done using his trademark diamonds. I've elected to have him put a diamond on the 12th fret as well as the headstock. Ben's friends Gail and Kevin at Gurian instruments make empty little gewgah doohickeys that he fills with the material of his choosing. In our case, we are going with reconstituted turquoise. It will give the guitar a touch of color, scratch my inlay itch and I think it will be a classy touch to what is shaping up to be a stellar instrument...

Old 04-18-2023, 12:16 PM

Everything is looking just fantastic. Enjoy the ride as at warp speed it ends quickly.

I hope Frog does not hear of the tales of you and Ben frollicking joyfully through the fields hand in hand, as Frog can get jealous very quickly and nothing is worse then an angry, jealous, heart broken frog! The thought is heartbreaking to say the least.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:52 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Gotta say, love the inlays. Really classy! And not unexpected, but it is really coming together quickly! Yikes.
Old 04-19-2023, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Very cool--the stone elements definitely up the awesomeness factor!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-21-2023, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Everything is looking just fantastic. Enjoy the ride as at warp speed it ends quickly.

I hope Frog does not hear of the tales of you and Ben frollicking joyfully through the fields hand in hand, as Frog can get jealous very quickly and nothing is worse then an angry, jealous, heart broken frog! The thought is heartbreaking to say the least.
Thanks for the comment Tom. You are right: Based on this update, we are getting closer than I could have imagined. I told Ben I'm heading up to Reno in a couple of weeks to pick up my son, but maybe he thinks I was referring to the guitar? BTW, Mr. Frog, AKA Brad, AKA BJ Ice will hopefully be cool about all this, but just in case, please don't tell him. If he does find out, maybe I can get him and Ben out for dinner or lunch while I'm there and we can work it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Gotta say, love the inlays. Really classy! And not unexpected, but it is really coming together quickly! Yikes.
Thanks Dennis. Just like Ben, this is turning out to be a class act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Very cool--the stone elements definitely up the awesomeness factor!
Thanks Kevin. I think so too.
Old 04-21-2023, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

As we are still in some sort of time warp, Ben has sent me his latest update and titled the email as "The Kit".

From the looks of it, I think he's built me a kit, and now I'm scared to death he's going to make me finish it!

Some of you may know that I spent a week in Nacogdoches with Kinnaird West as a student builder. This experience was right up my alley, and I have added buckets to my list. In fact 10 of them... my new goal is to build 10 guitars in my lifetime, not counting the student guitar. I've embarked on this quest by building a workshop behind my garage. That alone took me about a year. I've started my first build just recently and shared a picture with Ben of me joining my Myrtle back together. Maybe that's why Ben is building me a kit? I've since joined the top (a lovely "Lost Tunnell" top that I got from Butch Boswell), but with travelling and work, I foresee it taking a year or longer just to close the box. Needless to say, I spend more time reading and trying to figure out basic build concepts and what measurements to use than I do in my shop. Ben, if you are reading this, no thanks, I'm sticking to the original plan and will let you finish what you started.

So back to the real Luthier in the room and the progress he's made. Here is the guitar ready for assembly (and maybe a little carving)...

To my surprise, bevels and bindings are all in place, cleaned up and looking snazzy...

Again, the silking and the ever so cool beveled comma sound hole....

Lastly, the backside...

Old 04-21-2023, 11:29 PM

That is sensational. You must be beyond excited about this.
Old 04-22-2023, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful looking wood and beautiful design!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop