The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-08-2023, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Shipping Video 12/8/2023

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-08-2023 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Shipping Video 12/15/2023

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-22-2023, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Shipping Video 12/22/2023

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-01-2024, 09:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty new to Emerald guitars but I’ve already got a couple from stock and a couple custom orders I recently placed — and that was *before* I discovered the shipping videos

I tend to obsess over veneer vs. plain carbon, standard vs. vibrant weave, etc. The renderings in the 3D builder and still photos aren’t nearly as useful as seeing motion video with lots of different guitars side-by-side. Big thanks to Alistair and the Emerald team for doing the videos!

I was a little bored over the long holiday weekend and found myself watching lots of the shipping videos and then forgetting which guitars appeared in which videos when I wanted to see something specific. So I figured while I was watching, why not jot down the guitars that were in each video?

I ended up populating a spreadsheet with all the videos from 2023 (I watched at 1.5x speed and skipped over repetitive stuff so it went pretty quickly). Then I added some cool features so it would link to the exact moment in each video where a particular guitar appears, plus have the ability to filter on things like body style, veneer, or carbon color. If you’re super nerdy, there’s even a "Stats for Nerds" tab that will let you see the busiest weeks, the most popular body styles, veneers, carbon colors, etc.

Here’s the link if you want to check it out:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...-u8cMwedrAUUFQ

It seems to work fine on Mac and Windows laptops and desktops running the most popular browsers. It’s almost useless on mobile phones as far as I can tell (even with the Google Sheets app), but if there’s a lot of interest I could see if there are some workarounds for that short of having to develop a whole mobile-friendly UI.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Shipping Video 1/5/2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanefsky View Post
Hi everyone,

I’m pretty new to Emerald guitars but I’ve already got a couple from stock and a couple custom orders I recently placed — and that was *before* I discovered the shipping videos

I tend to obsess over veneer vs. plain carbon, standard vs. vibrant weave, etc. The renderings in the 3D builder and still photos aren’t nearly as useful as seeing motion video with lots of different guitars side-by-side. Big thanks to Alistair and the Emerald team for doing the videos!

I was a little bored over the long holiday weekend and found myself watching lots of the shipping videos and then forgetting which guitars appeared in which videos when I wanted to see something specific. So I figured while I was watching, why not jot down the guitars that were in each video?

I ended up populating a spreadsheet with all the videos from 2023 (I watched at 1.5x speed and skipped over repetitive stuff so it went pretty quickly). Then I added some cool features so it would link to the exact moment in each video where a particular guitar appears, plus have the ability to filter on things like body style, veneer, or carbon color. If you’re super nerdy, there’s even a "Stats for Nerds" tab that will let you see the busiest weeks, the most popular body styles, veneers, carbon colors, etc.

Here’s the link if you want to check it out:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...-u8cMwedrAUUFQ

It seems to work fine on Mac and Windows laptops and desktops running the most popular browsers. It’s almost useless on mobile phones as far as I can tell (even with the Google Sheets app), but if there’s a lot of interest I could see if there are some workarounds for that short of having to develop a whole mobile-friendly UI.
NOTE: kanefsky got a shoutout from Alistair at the beginning of today's shipping video....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-05-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:23 PM

Way to go Kanefsky!! That had to take a lot of time!

Maybe Alistair will send you an appreciation gift? Shirt, Strap or 6 pack of Mugs??
Old 01-05-2024, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2
Way to go Kanefsky!! That had to take a lot of time!
Thanks!

I've actually got an even better version coming very soon. Stay tuned
Old 01-05-2024, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Keep this up and Alistair will soon have you on speed-dial. Not bad for three AGF posts...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-05-2024, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks!

This is an extraordinary achievement. I was able to find my purple X20 from last year in a handful of clicks - and straight to the video. Brilliant!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-05-2024, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Shipping Video 1/5/2024

At 8:40 in this video, I am the 'David from Florida'.

I will also be going to NAMM in a few weeks to demo some things although my X-10 Slim will probably show up at home when I am gone. Hopefully will run into Alistair there.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:54 AM

Just got to play with this spreadsheet a little. Very easy to sort and locate based on the available filters, making it quick to find what you are looking for.

Well done! Thank you for creating a very useful tool!!
Old 01-06-2024, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks!

This appears to be a great innovation and is the kind of thing that might benefit both Emerald Guitars and their customers. It's the kind of thing that I hoped to generate in this https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=679783 thread...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-06-2024, 06:00 PM

ok, the next generation of the "spreadsheet" is ready to try out: https://datamagic.com/emerald/. It has the data from this weeks's video added of course

I figured the massive spreadsheet format might be a little overwhelming for some people, and more importantly it was pretty useless on mobile. It was also a little annoying having to click on links and open up new tabs for every video.

So using the same data, I wrote a little app to display it that works on mobile as well as desktop/laptop browsers. The results are a lot easier to read, you can play the video right on the page, and you can even mark guitars as favorites and display just your favorites if you want (your favorites should be preserved indefinitely).

For now you can't filter by multiple different veneers at the same time (similarly for colors, models, etc.) and there's no equivalent for the "stats for nerds" tab in the spreadsheet yet but that could potentially be addressed in a future version
Old 01-06-2024, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
ok, the next generation of the "spreadsheet" is ready to try out: https://datamagic.com/emerald/. It has the data from this weeks's video added of course

I figured the massive spreadsheet format might be a little overwhelming for some people, and more importantly it was pretty useless on mobile. It was also a little annoying having to click on links and open up new tabs for every video.

So using the same data, I wrote a little app to display it that works on mobile as well as desktop/laptop browsers. The results are a lot easier to read, you can play the video right on the page, and you can even mark guitars as favorites and display just your favorites if you want (your favorites should be preserved indefinitely).

For now you can't filter by multiple different veneers at the same time (similarly for colors, models, etc.) and there's no equivalent for the "stats for nerds" tab in the spreadsheet yet but that could potentially be addressed in a future version
This is terrific! Any plans to add data from years prior to 2023 - or to keep it updated for 2024, for that matter?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-06-2024, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
This is terrific! Any plans to add data from years prior to 2023 - or to keep it updated for 2024, for that matter?
I'll backfill older data and data from other videos (e.g. "pick of the week" videos) if I get time, and I'll definitely try to keep up with the new videos as they come out. I can't promise that I'll do it forever though

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber