The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-23-2013, 09:06 PM

It's starting to make more sense now. It looks like I have a cord issue. In hindsight I should have realized this. I started having the phase issues after I bought two LIVE WIRE ADVANTAGE xlr cables with Neutrik ends.

I really should have joined here last year and asked for help. I had to cancel a project last fall after investing much time into it. Sabotage I tell ya!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:39 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed View Post
It's starting to make more sense now. It looks like I have a cord issue. In hindsight I should have realized this. I started having the phase issues after I bought two LIVE WIRE ADVANTAGE xlr cables with Neutrik ends.

I really should have joined here last year and asked for help. I had to cancel a project last fall after investing much time into it. Sabotage I tell ya!
Does your preamp have a phase switch? Can you fix the phase in your DAW?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed View Post
P.S. For those who asked

Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs. I wish I would have grabbed the AThm-50's but my local shop wanted $200+ for them.

Guitar: Dreadnought cutaway, Spruce Top, Rosewood back & Sides
Do you have nearfield monitors or are you listening exclusively through the headphones?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpullen View Post
Does your preamp have a phase switch? Can you fix the phase in your DAW?
The preamp is part of the Tascam US-800 (no polarity switch). I came very close to spending a lot more in the interface-preamp dept. but ultimately wanted to learn first and figured I could start with this unit and get decent results.

This thread was my first foray into the world of fixing phase issues. I was confused since no matter where I placed my mics I had problems and wasn’t sure what it was. I own Cubase 5 but I'm not well versed enough in the software or this whole topic to be able to apply a fix to anything.

I don't have monitors yet – I know I need them. I'm using medium grade headphones and think it’s difficult to discern what's going on using them. After mixing down a track and listening to it on my Bose system in my vehicle I knew something was wrong.

My equipment might be mickey-mouse to some of you but I’ll be happy if I could just get near its potential before I start upgrading. I'll be doing some troubleshooting to verify I do indeed have a cable problem. I have four xlr cables hopefully I can pair up two with better results.

The feedback has been educational. Additional thoughts? Troubleshooting advice?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:51 PM
.tom the übergeek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgcIICdc8lc zoom into about 1:45
Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 PM

each channel in the daw should have a phase switch. It's commonly indicated by a circle with a diagonal line through it toward the bottom near the fader. Is this active on one of the two channels ? That would be a more likely culprit than your cables.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD