The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-28-2023, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Macassar Ebony tonal properties

All things being equal, how would you describe the tonal properties of a Macassar Ebony B&S, paired with Italian Spruce. I know the builder is everything, but just generally speaking, how would you describe the tonal combination, especially in terms of the ratio of fundamentals to overtones (tending to be dry and fundamental prominent, or more resonant with strong overtones)? - Also (and relatedly) sustain? Responsiveness? Thanks much.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I recently finished a Sitka and macassar ebony OM guitar. The first thing I noticed was a deep, extended, smooth bass, with the attack gaining a bit of percussiveness as you move into the midrange of the guitar. Nice treble, with a little bit of chime. Real nice sustain. Definitely in the rosewood side of things. Hopefully others will comment on the effect that the Italian spruce may lend, I've only built with Italian spruce once, and it was paired with north eastern black walnut on an OM style.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:43 PM

I own and enjoy a big bodied guitar made of Macassar that’s topped with Adirondack. The top plays a huge part of course but I can say that the notes slowly decay in a lovely blanket of overtones and “reverby” depth. The back and side materials certainly play a part there. If you like rosewood I think you’ll likely be pleased with what ebony adds to the mix. It’s heavy - please keep that in mind - but it’s also beautiful stuff to behold.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 11-28-2023, 09:51 PM

My Bamburg FSC guitar is Macassar Ebony/Carpathian Spruce. (15" lower bout). It is one of the most resonant guitars I own.....definitely on the rosewood side of things.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-28-2023, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Macassar ebony so I have read (and true with my Blanchard Mascassar Ebony/Swiss Spurce Bristlecone guitar) has a nicely defined and focused
lower frequency range. Even in this dropped tuning tune of mine that comes through https://dcoombsguitar.com/Temp/WhereTo.wav.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 11-29-2023 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-29-2023, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Macassar ebony so I have read (and true with my Blanchard Mascassar Ebony/Swiss Spurce Bristlecone guitar) has a nicely defined and focused
lower frequency range. Even in this dropped tuning tune of mind that comes through https://dcoombsguitar.com/Temp/WhereTo.wav.
That’s a wonderful song Derek, and as always great playing and recording. A person can’t give a better answer to the OPs question than what you’ve provided! Was that recorded with your Gefell mics?

From a more technical side (which I think is consistent with the experiences posted), ebony has higher damping than rosewoods, which may explain its focus and definition. I’ve also heard that the higher damping may have a greater effect on guitars designed with an active back vs more of a reflective back.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-29-2023, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
That’s a wonderful song Derek, and as always great playing and recording. A person can’t give a better answer to the OPs question than what you’ve provided! Was that recorded with your Gefell mics?

From a more technical side (which I think is consistent with the experiences posted), ebony has higher damping than rosewoods, which may explain its focus and definition. I’ve also heard that the higher damping may have a greater effect on guitars designed with an active back vs more of a reflective back.
Thanks Chuck. Recorded on a pair of Gefell M295 mikes.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-07-2023, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
lower frequency range. Even in this dropped tuning tune of mine that comes through https://dcoombsguitar.com/Temp/WhereTo.wav.
Beautiful Derek. Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop