The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Default XY two different mics

Is it possible or worthwhile to use an XY set up with an LDC and SDC? I know it won't create a true stereo image as such but I'm thinking of eliminating any phasing due to movement which I've been experiencing very slightly and I understand is more problematic with spaced pairings. I have a Rode NT1a and an Oktava MK012. Or should I just get another MK012 for a proper XY?
Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I will avoid discussing the terminology and just say if it sounds good, however you get there, then you are set - experiment. As far as small movements changing the sound, a little more distance out helps.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-21-2013, 02:21 PM

You're overthinking it. It's common practice to record acoustic guitar either with one mic, or with two mics with one in front of the 12th fret and the other facing across the bottom of the body. Phase problems do not exist in the former and are rare in the latter.

Only on the internet is true stereo micing of acoustic guitar considered essential, and you don't have the mics for that anyway, so there's no need to worry about it nor to buy anything else when you can do perfectly good work with what you have.

By learning more, you'll be in a better position to know what you really need for your next purchase.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombudsman View Post
You're overthinking it. It's common practice to record acoustic guitar either with one mic, or with two mics with one in front of the 12th fret and the other facing across the bottom of the body. Phase problems do not exist in the former and are rare in the latter.

Only on the internet is true stereo micing of acoustic guitar considered essential, and you don't have the mics for that anyway, so there's no need to worry about it nor to buy anything else when you can do perfectly good work with what you have.

By learning more, you'll be in a better position to know what you really need for your next purchase.
I agree! Sell both mics and buy a Schoeps cmc641. Granted, I have a nice sounding guitar, but here's a sample of me fiddlin' around with one CMC641.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq5dnsptii...hoepsHyper.wav

Regards,

Ty Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD