The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM

Default Is there a simple device for connecting existing XLR mic to iPad 2?

Don't wanna buy an apogee mic, already own several quality large and small diaphragm mics. Been looking around a bit and it would seem one could find an xlr to ipad conversion cable. No luck so far. Looks like the need for phantom power makes this a problem necessitating some kind of box or expensive interface or camera kit usb conversion kludge with one ending up with a daisy chain of several little devices. Ugh.

Would think such a conversion cable would be out there. Oh, and using the headphone jack on the iPad just seems wrong. Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:31 PM

i didn't check them all out but here is a google search of xlr to ipad. perhaps one will work for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=xlr+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregEL View Post
Don't wanna buy an apogee mic, already own several quality large and small diaphragm mics. Been looking around a bit and it would seem one could find an xlr to ipad conversion cable. No luck so far. Looks like the need for phantom power makes this a problem necessitating some kind of box or expensive interface or camera kit usb conversion kludge with one ending up with a daisy chain of several little devices. Ugh.

Would think such a conversion cable would be out there. Oh, and using the headphone jack on the iPad just seems wrong. Any ideas?
Studio Six Digital iAudioInterface2. I just ordered one to use an iPad for acoustical measurements but it supports recording apps as well.

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/iaudiointerface2/

Torturer of quality instruments by Benedetto, Fender, Gibson, Guild, Martin, PRS and Taylor
Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregEL View Post
...Any ideas?
Hi Greg...

Make sure you check the compatibility with the new lightning interface on the iPad (unless you never plan to upgrade in the future). All my devices are generic USB and I use the USB adapter on the iPad to connect to, so in the future when I get a new iPad or iPhone, I'll be ready to roll with a simple USB interface adapter (from Apple).

Several devices on the market are confined to the old 31 pin technology.

I use a simple small UBB device called the ART USB Pre which has dual XLR or 1/4'' input and both USB and 1/4'' output. It was $79, can be powered by a 9 volt battery (and still provide full 48volt phantom power)

I stuck my Snark on top of it for size comparison, and shot front/back pics.

There are lots of interfaces, some very expensive. This one is very practical, and in fact I can use it to expand a single channel input on an amp or board to two channels with other equipment besides an iOS device.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the replies!

The LineSix device looks cool but too pricey. Got a MacBook pro with all the works, don't wanna spend much for my iPad jones.

The ART box looks like the way to go, not expensive and versatile. Guess there's no choice but to get a camera kit (sigh).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD