The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 09:40 AM

Default GS Mini

Hi,
Would a GS Mini be a good guitar for everyday playing? I am still in the learning stage, but I am looking for a smaller body guitar for strumming, picking and fingerpicking. The Mini is about at my money limit, and I see a lot of good things about them on the forums here.
Thanks,
David
Old 12-04-2019, 09:46 AM

In a word ,YES .A great guitar, I love mine
Dan
Old 12-04-2019, 09:47 AM

I just bought a GS Mini-E, spruce top, walnut back and sides. I love it. A very nice couch guitar. I had it strung Nashville (high) tuning. Fun for fingerstyle, though I'm just a hack.
~Bob
Old 12-04-2019, 09:48 AM

Our of the 6 guitars I own, I arguably play it the most.

Great guitar
Old 12-04-2019, 10:24 AM

It 100% can be used 100% of the time. It sounds amazing but there is no doubt it's amazing sound gets diminished some when played next to a full sized acoustic but not enough to cause concern. Many times it still sounds better than the full size next to it-depending on the quality of the full sized guitar.

I installed a K&K pickup on mine so when I plug it in, you'd never notice the difference over the PA.

I have the original model with spruce and would be curios to know how it's performance is when compared to the other topped GS Mini's such as the Koa or Hog ones.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:24 AM

I have a GS Mini Koa and love it! It is great for playing all the time. Also, some like the Martin Dreadnought Jr, although I haven't played one myself. It has a 1 3/4" nut width, which is my preferred width, but my koa mini sounds great and looks even better. Either of those would be great small body guitars.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 12-04-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I've had the mahogany version for a few weeks and it sounds great with DR rare mediums. Could totally be an only guitar and maybe the perfect one to start out on.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 12-04-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramsey View Post
Hi,
The Mini is about at my money limit, and I see a lot of good things about them on the forums here.
Everybody loves them, even those of us who don't play them. There's nothing better than sitting next to A GS Mini in a jam. Not only can you hear your own guitar better in that situation, but you can actually hear guitars across the room.

(Unless of course the guitar across the room is a GS Mini.)
Old 12-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
I have a GS Mini Koa and love it! It is great for playing all the time. Also, some like the Martin Dreadnought Jr, although I haven't played one myself. It has a 1 3/4" nut width, which is my preferred width, but my koa mini sounds great and looks even better. Either of those would be great small body guitars.
Haha...I was just about to say the ONLY thing I dislike about the mini is the nut width. I prefer mine just a tad wider at 1 3/4 (the mini is actually 1 11/16 as seen here https://www.guitarspecsheet.com/?s=Taylor+gs+mini). Other than that it's a great guitar for home or travel.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:11 AM

Definitely! I used mine as an everyday guitar all the time. Plus it's my travel guitar too.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 AM

I'm going to chime in with an opinion that runs contrary to what's been said already. I've had the GS Mini ever since it first came out, and it's been my travel and camping guitar ever since. Except I've noticed I play it less and less as time goes by, and that's because it becomes more and more difficult to play the more I get used to playing my daily go-to guitars, which have a long scale, higher string tension and a wider nut. Because I flatpick on a full-size Martin dreadnaught most of the time, the Mini's shorter fret span and lower string tension totally messes me up.

If you plan on playing your Mini exclusively, yes, it's a great guitar and can hold its own, but if you plan on using it alongside "regular-sized" guitars, you may experience the same phenomenon. You'll get so used to one or the other that you may find it very difficult to switch back and forth.

In fact, I would have long sold my Mini had I not started a habit of collecting signatures on it when I first bought it. If i were to buy another compact guitar for travel, the Martin Dreadnaught Jr. would be my first choice because it, too, has the wide nut that my big guitars have.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 12-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have played a number of mini's and owned one for a while. I A/B'd them with some other similar size guitars and found that I preferred the tone and feel of the Alvarez parlor to the mini. More room on the fretboard and more nuanced and fuller tone to my ears. Some folks love the mini's but if I wanted a smaller Taylor, I would take a Big Baby over a mini any day of the week. You might want to A/B them and see what your ears and hands like best.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-04-2019, 12:03 PM

I've had mine about 2 weeks and I love it. The shoulder pain I was experiencing from a full size guitar is gone. I got the Spruce top since it seemed to fit my limited budget better. It also comes with a very nice bag so you don't need to buy a case. Eventually I plan to add a pickup.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:14 PM

Love mine. Travels great and I could see it being a one and only. I have the mahogany top version and prefer it's slightly warmer sound to the others.

Have fun!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

yep. I love mine and use it to learn fingerstyle arrangements as it's easier. I'm careful to rotate full and short scale guitars into my playing though due to some of the concerns expressed above. You might find a deal on a used one as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion