The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-30-2020, 07:48 PM

Default Microphone for my specific style of acoustic playing?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for custom-fit microphone recommendation:

I have a Seagull cedar folk guitar
I play with D'Addario flat tops, warm tone and less squeak
I typically fingerpick without using fingernails
When I do pick, I often enjoy using a Wedgie rubber pick.

I guess the takeaway is that I like soft, smooth, round, warm sound. I'm looking for a good microphone that will compliment these characteristics. I've been interested in ribbon mics, but still doing research. I'd like to spend $1000 or less. Thanks for any input that anyone has for me!
Old 11-30-2020, 08:37 PM
Eric Skye

I'm lately getting into using a ribbon (though always with a condenser too) so that was my first thought if you're wanting "warm." Though since you're already going pretty far in that direction at the source with flatwounds, rubber picks, etc, I guess I'd be lookout for going from "warm" to "dull."

I'm sure others will have more thoughtful responses, but off the top of my head I'd say the Royer R-10 is a nice ribbon for $500. You could pair that with a nice detailed small diaphragm condenser and have options for a nice mismatched pair or a mid/side setup, as ribbons are almost always figure eight mics. That would give a lot of flexibility and come in at budget no problem.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 PM

The R10 is on my list of wants. Another affordable ribbon to check out would be the Samar AL95. It just came out. I never thought I'd be able to afford one of Mark Fouxman's ribbons, but these are listed at $400.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

There are usually two features that can be problematic with Ribbon Mics:
They require more power and usually only come in Figure 8
AEA came out with a new type of Ribbon that is hypercardiod and doesn't require a lot of power. It has been gaining lots of interest. It is called the AEA KU5a. It also has an extended frequency response I believe.
Take a listen to this demo where he plays acoustic and sings into this lovely sounding mic. Or at least....I think it sounds quite lovely.
It does list for $1200, However If you ask, some places are giving discounted price at $1000. Or at least they were. This is the time of year when deals are made.
While I have many other things to purchase right now...I am considering this mic in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6R1Dn_wJo
Old 11-30-2020, 11:42 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
There are usually two features that can be problematic with Ribbon Mics: They require more power and usually only come in Figure 8
Very true. For me, because I like playing around with mid/side, the figure eight thing is a big plus. But because my room at home is not ideal it’s not so good for other things. But the power thing is easily solved with a “pre preamp” like the $150 Cloudlifter.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

You never know until you try, but I'm with Eric. No nails, flatwound strings, rubber pick, etc, you have a dark sound already I imagine. A ribbon may just sound like mud. I'd just go for a flat-response condenser mic and have it capture the sound you are getting from the guitar.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:25 AM

I use the DPA 4099G Core, a small condenser microphone. Last year I've been invited tovshowcase the 4099 for DPA at a fair in Cologne, Germany and I've been using the 4099 at shows I did for Taylor Guitars 2017/2018 in Germany. A lot of classical musicians use it with their instruments. There are a lot of vids on YouTube about the mic. I think Doug Young did a video on the DPA 4099.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:32 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I reviewed that mic when it first came out, and I have one. I'm not sure I'd suggest it for recording, tho it's certainly possible. Your placement options are limited, and it's not any better than many stand-mounted mics at a similar price point. Depending on your style (solo, or as part of a band mix?), you may want to record in stereo, as well - I guess you could attach 2 4099s, but you lose the benefit of all the various mic placements that are possible with external mics, which can be key to dialing in the sound you want. Mic placement matters more than the specific mic.

The 4099's a nice choice for playing live when people want to close-mic and be able to move around a bit. It does have the benefit of staying in a fixed position relative to the guitar, tho that's also a potential downside as well.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:41 AM

Sorry, I've found the thread in the "Today at the AGF" section while sitting in the train and din't notice that the question was about a mic for recording. A lot of traditional players and bands use ribbon mics on stage. Wanted to delete my post, but noticed that Doug had answered my comment.

Last edited by stringbound; 12-01-2020 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I’ve been looking at the sE Electronics VR2 lately. It’s an active ribbon with a response that doesn’t roll off. Saw it in a recent video (Joshua Lee Turner - Peace Like a River) in a MS configuration and sounded good to me. (He does use a thumb pick, however.)

Last edited by keith.rogers; 12-01-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: add video link
Old 12-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I'm lately getting into using a ribbon (though always with a condenser too) so that was my first thought if you're wanting "warm." Though since you're already going pretty far in that direction at the source with flatwounds, rubber picks, etc, I guess I'd be lookout for going from "warm" to "dull."

...[snip]....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You never know until you try, but I'm with Eric. No nails, flatwound strings, rubber pick, etc, you have a dark sound already I imagine. A ribbon may just sound like mud. I'd just go for a flat-response condenser mic and have it capture the sound you are getting from the guitar.
This is my thought as well. If you're getting the acoustic tone you want from your guitar/setup/playing style why not use an sdc condenser mic with a flat and natural response to capture it as realistically as practical?

I picked up a pair of used, but nearly new, Sennheiser MKH40 mics recently (for $600 each) that I'd recommend.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-01-2020, 10:59 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I’ve been looking at the sE Electronics VR2 lately. It’s an active ribbon with a response that doesn’t roll off. Saw it in a recent video (Joshua Lee Turner - Peace Like a River) in a MS configuration and sounded good to me. (He does use a thumb pick, however.)
Thanks for sharing this link. I agree sounds sounds really good. I’ve noticed this active ribbon, and others in nice sounding videos of late. As I said above, if you already have a passive ribbon, before you run out and get an active model, something like the $150 Cloudlifter or similar is going to be just about the same thing.

A little off topic, but also thanks for sharing this video because it kind of answered a question I had in another thread about mid/side for a solo singer-songwriter. I think this worked great here. Fairly wide guitar, vocals up the middle.. but all tied together nicely, because well, it is together. I just shot a ninety-minute lesson for Homespun that because of Covid times was essentially the world’s most elaborate selfie. I made the mistake of using a lapel mic for my voice and a spaced pair for the guitar, but I was too deep into it to turn back when I realized just how much that was gonna suck in posed -oh man.. Seeing this video totally confirms for me next time I’m going to use this set up -though likely with lower profile mics visually for a video lesson.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this link. I agree sounds sounds really good. I’ve noticed this active ribbon, and others in nice sounding videos of late. ... Seeing this video totally confirms for me next time I’m going to use this set up -though likely with lower profile mics visually for a video lesson.
I don't know if you can get much lower profile than that VR2 - it even comes with a non-suspension clip. Those tube condensers though are hard to ignore though

N.B. If you have a good space that just works or has good treatment, you don't have to have the mics right in front of your face. I tinkered with that a fair bit these past several months, and even used a large tube condenser just out of frame and it was (IMO) better than the phone mic. Past about 3' though it's hard to keep the room out, even with some treatment.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
TI just shot a ninety-minute lesson for Homespun that because of Covid times was essentially the world’s most elaborate selfie. I made the mistake of using a lapel mic for my voice and a spaced pair for the guitar, but I was too deep into it to turn back when I realized just how much that was gonna suck in posed -oh man.. Seeing this video totally confirms for me next time I’m going to use this set up -though likely with lower profile mics visually for a video lesson.
Off topic, but what I have usually done for video lessons etc, is have a vocal mic just out of camera over my head, aimed down at my mouth. I imagine a shotgun would work even better (as long as it wasn't too directional), but just a normal cardiod seems to do the job of lifting my vocal enough to stand out. It's also not too bad to have a spaced pair low enough that they are out of frame on the bottom of the camera as well.

That SE ribbon is something I just recently noticed, and it'd be interesting to check out. It's a little odd to see an SE mic for $2K (if I remember right), tho.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:06 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
. It's a little odd to see an SE mic for $2K (if I remember right), tho.
Ah - it's only 499

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't have the recording experience most of you have, but I've got a pretty darn good ear and have LOVED all the SE mics I've owned. I use an SE5 on my guitars now and it's as good as anything I've owned previously!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD