The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-29-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Current System :
Avid HD Omni , Mid 2010 MP 3.33 6-core Westmere, Apple 27" Cinema Display.... RAM 24 GB.
Radeon Plus RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI GPU, PTHDN 2020.5 on OS 10.14.6 Mojave. boot drive SSD PCIe 512 GB Samsung SM951 ACHI, PT sessions EVO 970 PCIe NVMe 1TB SSD--FCPX file EVO 970 PCIe 1 TB NVMe SSD.
Ought to be able to rule the world with that!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 11-29-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Ought to be able to rule the world with that!
No doubt I may have the Computer and Display sans Omni,,, available for sale (if the deal I am working does not pan out). Interested?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-29-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

A well chosen machine that should certainly do a great job for you. I too chose the 27" iMac for my 'work from home' computer-in part because I could upgrade the RAM myself. Enjoy the new machine!
Old 11-30-2020, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Just learned an interesting fact that I did not know ,,,that iMacs are made in Ireland.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 11-30-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just learned an interesting fact that I did not know ,,,that iMacs are made in Ireland.
Now we know what the "i" stands for.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-30-2020, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Kev, I just purchased the new iMac for my wife, when it came out and maxed it out with 3rd party RAM. We decided not to wait for the next generation b/c this current iMac is the last model that supports 3rd party RAM upgrade. It replaced our 2013 iMac, which works fine... mostly concerned that the Fusion drive is getting old and don't want it to fail (we use Time Machine and BackBlaze cloud backup, but it was still time to upgrade).
Old 12-01-2020, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Kev, I just purchased the new iMac for my wife, when it came out and maxed it out with 3rd party RAM. We decided not to wait for the next generation b/c this current iMac is the last model that supports 3rd party RAM upgrade. It replaced our 2013 iMac, which works fine... mostly concerned that the Fusion drive is getting old and don't want it to fail (we use Time Machine and BackBlaze cloud backup, but it was still time to upgrade).
Yes my thoughts also , curious what brand RAM did you get ?? I am looking at OWC which I know are higher priced but I used them for my 2010 Mac Pro with great success and it is still going strong

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes my thoughts also , curious what brand RAM did you get ?? I am looking at OWC which I know are higher priced but I used them for my 2010 Mac Pro with great success and it is still going strong
I bought a 27” iMac about a year ago. I added 32Gb of Crucial RAM, and it’s been just fine. I’ve used both Crucial and Kingston before with no problems - IIRC, this time around Crucial was a tad less expensive.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-01-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I bought a 27” iMac about a year ago. I added 32Gb of Crucial RAM, and it’s been just fine. I’ve used both Crucial and Kingston before with no problems - IIRC, this time around Crucial was a tad less expensive.
Thanks for the info

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-01-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I got "A-Tech" on Amazon - it was probably the cheapest at the time, and had good reviews. My refurb is a bit older, but it's been working absolutely fine.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've always orders my RAM from Crucial, but understand that OWC is highly regarded, as well. This time, I decided to order from A-Tech, which was a lower price and had decent reviews. It was Prime, so I knew it would be no problem to return, if it didn't work.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Well I went and done er' I just shipped off my two Avid Omni interfaces , and the Avid HD Native PCIe card , to my Pro Audio guy I always deal with. He has a buyer waiting so that's good . But now waiting for the Avid Carbon to arrive (first time I have been without an interface to record with since 2003.)
I still have my Mac Pro that I will be trying to sell when my new computer arrives , and now UPS is saying the new iMac will be here tomorrow. So that's good also... So weird to not have a recording system at my beck and call

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-02-2020, 02:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well I went and done er' I just shipped off my two Avid Omni interfaces , and the Avid HD Native PCIe card , to my Pro Audio guy I always deal with. He has a buyer waiting so that's good . But now waiting for the Avid Carbon to arrive (first time I have been without an interface to record with since 2003.)
I still have my Mac Pro that I will be trying to sell when my new computer arrives , and now UPS is saying the new iMac will be here tomorrow. So that's good also... So weird to not have a recording system at my beck and call
That's exciting news. Any idea on when the Carbon will land? Are you going to downgrade to the cheaper Pro Tools version?

I went through a bit of hell getting the X16 up and running. After re-cabling the entire rack, I turned everything on and nothing. Not a peep out of the monitors. I tried reversing some connections thinking I must have made some stupid mistake and made a backwards connection somewhere, but none of that worked.

After all the work of putting it all back together again, I figured the only way I was going to figure this out was to pull the whole thing apart again and try to get the X16 working on it's own, without being connected to the Dangerous ST. So I did that, powered everything up, and... nothing. Luckily, I have a good friend who's a bit of a guru when it comes this stuff. We hooked up via Skype and phone (needed the phone because I was getting no audio) and it was another case of Apollo and Pro Tools not playing nice with each other (I hate that UA Console software). He got me sorted and the X16 working. But at that point I had nothing else connected, so I figured the next move should be to get the Dangerous ST and Apollo working together. Pulled what I needed to off the X16 and reconnected the Dangerous, turned everything on and... nothing.

Now I felt truly incompetent. The Dangerous ST isn't that hard to wire in. I check all the connections and they all look right. I take a look at the remote thinking maybe it's muted. It's not. But I mute and unmute it hoping that might help. It didn't. Then I turned the volume knob on the remote... EUREKA! I didn't have the Apollo volume maxed out so the Dangerous was able to go full silent. I maxed the Apollo and everything was working as it should.

Quite the adventure. I feel as beat up as Frodo was at the end.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-02-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
That's exciting news. Any idea on when the Carbon will land? Are you going to downgrade to the cheaper Pro Tools version?

I went through a bit of hell getting the X16 up and running. After re-cabling the entire rack, I turned everything on and nothing. Not a peep out of the monitors. I tried reversing some connections thinking I must have made some stupid mistake and made a backwards connection somewhere, but none of that worked.

After all the work of putting it all back together again, I figured the only way I was going to figure this out was to pull the whole thing apart again and try to get the X16 working on it's own, without being connected to the Dangerous ST. So I did that, powered everything up, and... nothing. Luckily, I have a good friend who's a bit of a guru when it comes this stuff. We hooked up via Skype and phone (needed the phone because I was getting no audio) and it was another case of Apollo and Pro Tools not playing nice with each other (I hate that UA Console software). He got me sorted and the X16 working. But at that point I had nothing else connected, so I figured the next move should be to get the Dangerous ST and Apollo working together. Pulled what I needed to off the X16 and reconnected the Dangerous, turned everything on and... nothing.

Now I felt truly incompetent. The Dangerous ST isn't that hard to wire in. I check all the connections and they all look right. I take a look at the remote thinking maybe it's muted. It's not. But I mute and unmute it hoping that might help. It didn't. Then I turned the volume knob on the remote... EUREKA! I didn't have the Apollo volume maxed out so the Dangerous was able to go full silent. I maxed the Apollo and everything was working as it should.

Quite the adventure. I feel as beat up as Frodo was at the end.
Wow glad you got it sorted, I too have found, most of the time my issues have indeed been simple pilot error, or overlooking something ,,, this switch, that knob, routing in the software etc. I am hoping this will be like my HD Native/Avid hardware,, and be a seamless plug and play experience .

Not sure when the Carbon will arrive.
As far as PT version I am not sure .... I still have until Jan 30 2021 on my current Ultimate upgrade/support plan. I am thinking I will take the dual license option for now (which allows both versions to be in my Avid account) , and see how the regular version compares to Ultimate in my real world use, So I have until then to make a decision.

I don't really don't need surround sound mixing , but there are other mixing
& automation features of Ultimate as well. And my Pro Audio guy is a licensed Avid dealer and gives me the max discount he can, on renewal pricing ( like $325 or something) , so we will see

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 12-02-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:04 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Congrats! I’m curious about you thinking on the iMac vs iMac Pro?

JR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD