The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-03-2020, 11:20 AM

Default L.R. Baggs Voiceprint EQ and blend interaction

I use the Aura (sparingly) on one guitar and have the anthem in 2 others.

I have tried the Tonedexter. Incredible idea and execution. Ultimately wasn't for me.

The Voiceprint has me intrigued yet again with IR and I think the EQ is what may help me bond better with this over some others.

My understanding is that the EQ in the app is a master EQ applied to whatever blend of direct signal and voiceprint you have set.
If that is correct, adjusting the blend on the pedal in real-time to adjust for the room and band dynamic will ultimately affect what EQ might be desired or necessary.
It seems to me that best practice would be to save several presets for one guitar with different amounts of the voicepeint blend and then EQ each preset to taste. Then rather than turning the blend down, you could advance to a new preset that has both the blend and EQ adjusted.

This would be fantastic!

To do this, would one have to re-create new voiceprints each time, or can a voiceprint be copied or simply adjusted and then saved as a new preset?
Old 12-03-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post
I use the Aura (sparingly) on one guitar and have the anthem in 2 others.

I have tried the Tonedexter. Incredible idea and execution. Ultimately wasn't for me.

The Voiceprint has me intrigued yet again with IR and I think the EQ is what may help me bond better with this over some others.

My understanding is that the EQ in the app is a master EQ applied to whatever blend of direct signal and voiceprint you have set.
If that is correct, adjusting the blend on the pedal in real-time to adjust for the room and band dynamic will ultimately affect what EQ might be desired or necessary.
It seems to me that best practice would be to save several presets for one guitar with different amounts of the voicepeint blend and then EQ each preset to taste. Then rather than turning the blend down, you could advance to a new preset that has both the blend and EQ adjusted.

This would be fantastic!

To do this, would one have to re-create new voiceprints each time, or can a voiceprint be copied or simply adjusted and then saved as a new preset?
A Voiceprint can be saved and reused.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:01 AM

Can't the "Voice" knob be used to adjust the amount of voiceprint in any preset patch?

To my way of thinking, the only thing the Voiceprint pedal is missing are basic tone controls which can be used for "quick and dirty" tone adjustments at the gig. ToneDexter, with its bass and treble knobs, has a bit of an advantage in that area.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Can't the "Voice" knob be used to adjust the amount of voiceprint in any preset patch?
This is correct. I am imagining that a preset with a voiceprint at 50% will warrant different eq than one at 80% or 100%. Thus saving multiple options for multiple scenarios. But that’s all speculation as I haven’t used one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
To my way of thinking, the only thing the Voiceprint pedal is missing are basic tone controls which can be used for "quick and dirty" tone adjustments at the
I completely agree. That would be a welcome addition. I suppose one could always have another simple eq pedal on the board for this, but it’s not as all in one as if it were integrated.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post
This is correct. I am imagining that a preset with a voiceprint at 50% will warrant different eq than one at 80% or 100%. Thus saving multiple options for multiple scenarios. But that’s all speculation as I haven’t used one yet.

I completely agree. That would be a welcome addition. I suppose one could always have another simple eq pedal on the board for this, but it’s not as all in one as if it were integrated.
The app does have some pretty extensive tweakability, including EQ for that particular voiceprint, and also a master EQ which I believe you can save/adjust for multiple presets per scenario (up to 99) in real time at your gig. I've just ordered one myself.

Aaron did a nice initial review here, he talks about EQ adjusting your created voiceprint at 1:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8SNP89T3AY
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------

Last edited by Akousticplyr; 12-04-2020 at 06:06 PM. Reason: you tube link

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification