The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-10-2020, 04:54 PM

Like many people, I have had to reconsider my guitar playing when I developed arthritis about six years ago. I used to play classical, mainly for my own pleasure, never professionally. After about a year of ever increasing struggles I returned my guitar to the friend who had given it to me. But the urge to play stayed with me. So about two months ago I bit the bullet and bought a used squareneck Dobro. Several things had to be overcome. Learning the neck in an open tuning is one. Holding a tone bar comfortably with a left hand that is becoming more like that of some weird animal is another. Using a flat pick rather than classical finger style picking is yet another, as my right hand is slowly becoming almost as twisted as my left. Not small things to overcome. Plus it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks (I am 72). But in a masochistic way I love it. I like the challenge, the new way of doing things, discovering excellent performers and their music I would normally never have heard about. As for cost, your range of $2000 to $3000 should get you a very good new instrument. I paid $1000 Canadian (about $750-800 US) for my 1976 OMI Dobro Model 27 in very good condition. Hope this helps. I wish you all the best whichever way you go.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Short Scale helps me a bunch. It just seems easier these days.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
You say,
I loved that guitar!
I think you should consider getting the same model. I mean what could be better than the relationship you had with the Taylor? I don't ask as a rhetorical question, I wonder what could be better than what you have described?
I kept thinking the same thing. Last time I went into a guitar store I played something I absolutely loved. I bonded with everything about that instrument so I bought it. This guitar is now my favorite although I own a Taylor at three times the price.

Why in the world look at anything else. I understand the concept of maybe the grass is greener else where, but when have already found something you love.........??
Old 12-11-2020, 09:11 PM

ims
If you don't own already, get yourself a well made hand exerciser preferably the rack type with the 3-4 springs and 2 wooden handles..
At first it may seem impossible. But over time your hand(s) will get stronger and stronger and the rack will seem softer and softer..
Hopefully this will lead to more ease on the fingerboard..

Mark Harris
Los Angeles
Old 12-12-2020, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
Well, I would also like for it to have electronics installed although again, not a deal breaker. Would a budget from $2,000-3,000 be enough? Should I look to a manufacturer or are their independent luthiers that would be a better bet? Although maybe not in that price range.

Direction, help, and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
I suspect that you could find a hobby luthier, or a luthier just starting, within 50 miles of your home. You could get a guitar built to your specs.

About 10 years ago, a hobbyist built a great guitar for me, for a price of, about half of, your budget. I have played the guitar in concert halls, small clubs, and a recording studio, as well as, my practice room. The guitar's look (kind of Old World, rustic), and sound, almost always, draws a complement.

A Google search will return a few data bases of luthiers. If a local college offers a guitar program, you might want to contact that department for information. You can get in touch with a local classical guitar society for information. Most major cities have a society.

I enjoyed the experience of having a guitar built just for me. You might also enjoy that experience. Plus, you get a guitar the fits you.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, as more candles appear on my birthday cake the unfortunate reality is starting to set in that my hands are failing me. It has recently gotten to the point that I cannot play my steel string guitars for any extended amount of time. I had the opportunity to play my brothers Taylor NS32-ce recently for a few months and it was completely night and day! I loved that guitar! I could play all day and no problems. I mic'd it and it sounded great. That guitar simply inspired me to play more. It responded to both finger picking and using a flat pick. Then he took it back. I offered to buy it. Doesn't want to sell. So now I am on the hunt for a replacement. Not being educated in nylon string guitars, I always went to Taylor or Martin first. I know there is better out there and that is where I could really use the help! I am guessing I am really looking for a crossover. I would like a cutaway, but not a deal breaker. I also prefer lower action. I don't really have a heavy hand or strum so I can usually get away with lower action. I play a cross between pop and jazz with a fairly even distribution of finger picking and using a pick. I would also like for it to have electronics installed although again, not a deal breaker. Would a budget from $2,000-3,000 be enough? Should I look to a manufacturer or are their independent luthiers that would be a better bet? Although maybe not in that price range.

A Taylor NS32-ce seems to fulfill all you're looking for in a nylon-string guitar. You had success with your brother's so I'd recommend buying a new or good-condition used one.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-12-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Well, as more candles appear on my birthday cake the unfortunate reality is starting to set in that my hands are failing me. It has recently gotten to the point that I cannot play my steel string guitars for any extended amount of time. I had the opportunity to play my brothers Taylor NS32-ce recently for a few months and it was completely night and day! I loved that guitar! I could play all day and no problems. I mic'd it and it sounded great. That guitar simply inspired me to play more. It responded to both finger picking and using a flat pick. Then he took it back. I offered to buy it. Doesn't want to sell. So now I am on the hunt for a replacement. Not being educated in nylon string guitars, I always went to Taylor or Martin first. I know there is better out there and that is where I could really use the help! I am guessing I am really looking for a crossover. I would like a cutaway, but not a deal breaker. I also prefer lower action. I don't really have a heavy hand or strum so I can usually get away with lower action. I play a cross between pop and jazz with a fairly even distribution of finger picking and using a pick. I would also like for it to have electronics installed although again, not a deal breaker. Would a budget from $2,000-3,000 be enough? Should I look to a manufacturer or are their independent luthiers that would be a better bet? Although maybe not in that price range.

Cordoba Orchestra Fusion 12 or 14 would be my recommendation. This is a fantastic crossover, plays easily, sounds great, and has all the high points of a good crossover like the narrower neck and radiused fret board. I own the 14 fret version and it's a super nice nylon strung guitar.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:16 AM

Default Hybrid classical FYI

Another Hybrid classical type Guitar to consider:
Martin 000c-16SGTNE. They can be a bit tough to find, - Cedar top; 1-7/8",
Mahogany Back and sides, built in great sounding Fishman...
Made only a few years. $1400-1500.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:23 AM

Sweetwater has several different Taylor nylon models in stock. Not sure where you live, but might warrant a road trip to play them. There are two other dealers I would recommend who specialize in classical. One in Texas and one in North Carolina. Is either of those locations close to you. Feel free to PM me.
2013 Taylor 214
2013 Martin D-17M
2014 Taylor 516e
2014 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2015 Taylor 324e
2015 Taylor 414ce-N
2015 Taylor Custom GA 12 fret
2015 Taylor 612ce 12 fret
2016 Taylor T5 Custom AA koa
2017 Taylor 712ce 12 fret LTD
2018 Taylor K22ce 12 fret LTD AA Koa
2019 Cordoba Master Series Hauser Ltd.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:09 PM

Default Thumb issue

on 12/2 just had LRTI basal thumb surgery on my fretting hand, been through the shots, braces etc.. continue to wear the brace even if i feels unnecessary. The brace will help prevent further degradation. I wont be playing the guitar for awhile but so far so good, any questions feel free to message me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
As an aside if your hands are suffering from advancing age arthritis (which we all have to deal with in varying degrees), I started to experience tendon like pain in my left wrist and I thought it was DeQuervain’s Syndrome. I went to a hand doctor and it’s actually Basal joint thumb arthritis which can be mostly corrected now with a proven surgery. However, the doctor wanted to do that only as a last resort so he advised I visit a hand therapist. She set me up with a brace and some hand exercises I do 3-4 times a week and I’ve gotten very proactive with hand stretches. In addition I started applying CBD oil (anti-inflammatory) 2-3 times daily to the affected area. I can honestly say the therapy, stretching, and CBD anti-inflammatory has arrested the progression and I pretty much found I don’t need the brace anymore. I’m sure the degradation of the joint is not going to stop but I believe I’ve slowed it down so for now I’m fully functional to play all my guitars.

Good luck and enjoy the search for a new and different guitar.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Here's one.

https://reverb.com/item/37497403-tay...hoCYEQQAvD_BwE

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical