The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 PM

Default "The Men Who Built America..Frontiersmen" on History

Just watched the first episode of "The Men Who Built America..Frontiersmen" and it was quite good. Dramatic reenactments combined with commentary by historians. This episode concerned Daniel Boone and the establishment of the first settlements west of the Appalachians. As the land was already occupied by the Shawnee, conflict would be inevitable. Boone was profiled as was his Shawnee counterpart, Blackfish.

Pretty interesting episode with a focus I hadn't thought much about and that was the significance of the fighting on the frontier to the American Revolution as a whole. With the British attempt to open a western front in the war failing, it was within a year that the war was lost.

Future episodes will cover Tecumseh, Lewis and Clark, Andrew Jackson, Fremont, Kit Carson and others.

This is my favorite period of American history so I'll be watching the whole series for sure.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:07 AM

Yeah, I was impressed and after buying the first DVD episodes from a couple years back, I was expecting no less than the first run was. So far I'm delighted to see it come through with flying colors. The whole battle for the Fort at Boonesboro, KY was very interesting.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:11 AM

I too enjoyed it.

I live on the Ohio River, on the Illinois side, and we have Shawnee National Forest, Shawnee Community College, and the list goes on. I own 30 acres of woods with a small hunting cabin on it and we often think about the Native Americans who used to roam our land when we are out there camping and such.

I wonder if the Generations to follow will continue to fight for the Freedoms those men and women were willing to die for.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Just watched the first episode of "The Men Who Built America..Frontiersmen" and it was quite good. Dramatic reenactments combined with commentary by historians. This episode concerned Daniel Boone and the establishment of the first settlements west of the Appalachians. As the land was already occupied by the Shawnee, conflict would be inevitable. Boone was profiled as was his Shawnee counterpart, Blackfish.

Pretty interesting episode with a focus I hadn't thought much about and that was the significance of the fighting on the frontier to the American Revolution as a whole. With the British attempt to open a western front in the war failing, it was within a year that the war was lost.

Future episodes will cover Tecumseh, Lewis and Clark, Andrew Jackson, Fremont, Kit Carson and others.

This is my favorite period of American history so I'll be watching the whole series for sure.
yes great series, I watched it on Netflix awhile back

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-08-2018, 12:38 PM

I will have to check it out. Regarding Lewis and Clark "Undaunted Courage" is a great book.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

There's a funny thing about Danial Boone that most people don't want to focus on. He left the United States because he was fed up with being taken advantage of by the one sided land laws. That was after he lost his farm in an area he had brought civilization to. Kings had given away land in America to people to pay debts etc. But the land was worthless as only Indians lived there. So two things came together. One was they wanted to get rid of the scots irish from leased land in the United Kingdom. The other was they needed some tough people to go over the Appalachian mountains and take on the Indians to make the land worth something. The people that owned the land did not lose it when they became part of the United States. Once Boone and others had started farms and backed off the Indians they had to buy their land. Boone went back east to pay for his land along with the money from other farmers in the area. He got robbed in his sleep along the way. Sometime after that he moved out of the United States to Missouri. Booneville I think it's called.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-09-2018, 05:39 PM

Luckily it aired a second time as I missed the beginning the first time. Very well done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic