The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

A large part of the beauty of the many Hoffee cases I have acquired for my customers is that they are custom fit to each guitar uniquely. So far, there is only one made to fit my L00 design, and it is unlikely Bob will be willing to part with it!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
A large part of the beauty of the many Hoffee cases I have acquired for my customers is that they are custom fit to each guitar uniquely. So far, there is only one made to fit my L00 design, and it is unlikely Bob will be willing to part with it!
Affirmative...
Old 03-05-2015, 08:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have raised my prices on my website as of May 15th. It is my first increase since 2011, and it is substantial. I will honor my previous prices till then . . . if you can remember what they were.

If you order one of my guitars before then, it will go up in price enough to cover normal dealer margins before you've taken delivery.

All of the finish is now applied to all of the guitars I've been showing you as I built them, and I am about to get into building Tom's L00 pernambuco/German WRX in earnest. In a couple of week, approximately as Tom's guitar enters the finishing process, I will assemble and string the all-walnut and the JZ/2 carved back.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 03-06-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Here are the GrandTune Gold/Galaith tuners, evidence of the frets, and the latest rendition of my ubiquitous birds.

Bruce, this is my absolute favorite of your various takes on the bird inlays I've seen over the years on your instruments. As you spoke about earlier in this thread, I was one of your customers that w/o concern left certain aspects of the build in your hands. The bird inlays on my build happen to be one of those decisions you made, and I'm sure glad it was!

Here is a pic of the bird inlays on my JB-15-L that Bruce built nearly 3 years ago. Even though the bird layout is similar to the one above, you can see how each bird is uniquely its own. Simply elegant!!!

Last edited by Leftyprs; 03-07-2015 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have been using variation on these birds since about 1975, and they have come quite a long way. That would be in the Darwinian sense, not the migratory sense.

Today I started in earnest on the next L00. I also got new glasses and a haircut. Not much to say about the haircut as I have been having the same cutter for quite a few years now. She is young and I hope she will remain healthy for the rest of my life as she has never screwed it up. The glasses are a new interpretation of a virtually unchanged prescription, and they are fantastic. I will keep the optometrists name on file as well. They are no more all the same than luthiers are, it seems.

This rosette has a pernambuco core, which is steppin' out for a WRX:
Old 03-12-2015, 09:40 AM

I don't watch much TV anymore but I've been following the JZ/2 build here since I came across it at the beginning of this thread, like some kind of TV series. I find that I am jonesing for the next installment in a bad way and can't wait to see the JZ/2 come to completion. I wish I could make it to Memphis to see all the guitars that Bruce has for perusal...and to meet Bruce also. This has been, for me, a thoroughly enjoyable posting.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

It is still early out in California, so I will tell you what I know. but I believe that it is hanging in his spray booth and the varnish finish to "curing" over the next one to two weeks. I suspect we have another week or two ahead of us before assembly, inlay and bridge work updates will occur, but one never knows so stay tuned to the "Sexauer Channel"!

Post Note Edit: I spoke too soon, the elves are up in CA

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 03-12-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrummed View Post
I don't watch much TV anymore but I've been following the JZ/2 build here since I came across it at the beginning of this thread, like some kind of TV series. I find that I am jonesing for the next installment in a bad way and can't wait to see the JZ/2 come to completion. I wish I could make it to Memphis to see all the guitars that Bruce has for perusal...and to meet Bruce also. This has been, for me, a thoroughly enjoyable posting.
It was very kind of you to take the time to make this warm/ fuzzy post. The JZ/2 continues to sit in the front window of my workshop absorbing UV Rays as it cures prior to being sanded flat with 1500 grit and then buffed follwed by assembly. At that point I will pick up its story line again. Probably that is a week or ten days away.

Meanwhile, the all walnut got the 1500 and the buff yesterday, and I expect to glue the neck onto the body today. That will be followed shortly thereafter with pictures. It's not the JZ/2, but it too is a decent story, I think. Stay tuned!
Old 03-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Patiently? waiting . . . . .
Old 03-12-2015, 04:27 PM

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that there is a ton of time spent sanding a guitar in the course of construction and I was wondering how much of the total construction time does it take in this day and age?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrummed View Post
I remember reading or hearing somewhere that there is a ton of time spent sanding a guitar in the course of construction and I was wondering how much of the total construction time does it take in this day and age?
One of the advantages of being a self employed luthier is that time can be tracked in week instead of hours, if it's tracked at all. I know that my average guitar takes just over 3 weeks of my time over a 5 to 6 week period, and that's all I need to know. I do believe I work between 50 and 60 hours a week, but that includes some time testing the instruments . . . probably something over an hour a day on average! I used to do much more testing than currently.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default All-Walnut w/strings

Today I inlaid and fretted the all-walnut, then I made a bridge and glued it on with the HHG. Then I strung it and did most of a set up. What I cannot yet do is tune it up, so I've got it down to B and sounding like a floppy Baritone. I believe it is going to sound fantastic though, and I have amused myself for an hour with it already for it is quite interesting as it is.

Here are some preliminary photos:

Old 03-13-2015, 07:07 PM

That is a nice looking guitar. Can't wait to hear it.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:16 PM

Oh
My
Word!!!!

That is spectacular Bruce!!! Good grief that's some amazing looking wood! Well done!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:27 PM

That open headstock turned out to be beautiful...very nice.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop