The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-14-2023, 01:08 PM

Default PRS guitar prices

Perusing Sweetwater today, I was surprised.
My 1st PRS in '97, a new goldtop McCarty: $1900

Today the McCarty lists between $5000 to $8000!
I really don't understand why. I admire Mr. Smith for his innovation and passion for quality and sound.

All I can say is wow....... I love the PRS guitars built overseas, I ordered a
DGT SE sunburst......
Old 09-14-2023, 02:00 PM

Phil McKnight discussed this on one of his recent YouTube live streams. It's market bifurcation. According to Phil, guitar manufacturers build guitars in the US to establish the brand. They sell them to the small segment of the public who feels they have to have the best of everything, and who believe that high cost equates to quality. What the company sells and makes money on comes from oversees.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure how things were back when you bought your first. Now, PRS sells guitars in three lines: Core, S2, and SE. Core is the top of the line, S2 is made in America but not the top tier, and SE is made overseas. The S2 and SE are definitely the biggest sellers for PRS where the Core is considered a premium line. The prices, to me at least, seem a bit over the top for the Core line. The SE and S2 lines appear quite competitive. I would call the Core line semi-custom.
Old 09-14-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Phil McKnight discussed this on one of his recent YouTube live streams. It's market bifurcation. According to Phil, guitar manufacturers build guitars in the US to establish the brand. They sell them to the small segment of the public who feels they have to have the best of everything, and who believe that high cost equates to quality. What the company sells and makes money on comes from oversees.
I've been buying guitars since the 1960's and I don't agree with Mr. McKnight. Guitars are built and bought all over the world. There is no reason other than lack of stock or blockage from shipping and outrageous shipping costs, to raise the prices that much. Someone told the marketers, CEO's that there was a pandemic, a supply chain problem, and inflation, so they collectively decided to jack up prices. Same thing w/ food, supply controlled by only 5 corporations. In the case of PRS, they've been announcing new guitars for 3 years, w/ little availability. What is up with that?
Old 09-14-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I'm not sure how things were back when you bought your first. Now, PRS sells guitars in three lines: Core, S2, and SE. Core is the top of the line, S2 is made in America but not the top tier, and SE is made overseas. The S2 and SE are definitely the biggest sellers for PRS where the Core is considered a premium line. The prices, to me at least, seem a bit over the top for the Core line. The SE and S2 lines appear quite competitive. I would call the Core line semi-custom.
When I bought my 1st, there was only Core, though it wasn't referred to as such. I think I've bought about 20 of them since the late '90's. The SE's, and the S-2's are outstanding. For about 10 years, until about 2011, I wasn't exactly wowed with Paul's pickups. But they've improved a lot. When I discovered them, outside of a Dragon, their guitars were about $1,000-$1500 used, and $1500-$2500 new. Not now.
Old 09-14-2023, 05:06 PM

I was looking at se’s this summer, but found a used s2 McCarty 594 single cut for $1200 and jumped on it…just an exceptional guitar! The S2’s and the CE’s are both great values…SE’s aren’t bad either…
Old 09-14-2023, 06:48 PM

They hold their value pretty well to. Per my Reverb research, my 2001 Custom 22 is still worth about what I paid for it, albeit in 2023 dollars (so, about half overall). Not bad!
Old 09-14-2023, 06:57 PM

Wow I had no idea the Core model prices had gone up that much.
My PRSi are all from the old days when there was just a Santana SE model as the only import…
Old 09-18-2023, 02:51 AM

Used holds value better than new it seems.
I looked for one of these for years:
https://reverb.com/p/prs-mccarty-1994-2007
The local shop had one for years. At $3750 new, I passed.
I found mine for $1,700 in 2018.
I guess I could get 10-20% more than I paid.

Last edited by Matthew Sarad; 09-18-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:39 PM

I snagged my used but mint 2014 PRS S2 Custom 22 off the local Craigslist for $700 - although this was 5-6 years ago. But I felt I got a great deal even back then.

(The original owner had swapped out the stock #7 pickups for a Seymour Duncan Jazz and JB set.)

But yeah - PRS prices have definitely shot up recently...

Old 09-19-2023, 04:05 PM

That is a killer deal on that PRS!
Congratulations!!
Old 09-19-2023, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
That is a killer deal on that PRS!
Congratulations!!
Yes, I really lucked out finding this one at that great price!
Old 09-19-2023, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

McCarty Gold Top available new at Musicians Friend for $3900.

Inflation calculator shows that $1900 1997 money is worth $3700 in 2023 money, so not that far off.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-20-2023, 07:18 AM

Late to the PRS party, but I ordered a Hollowbody SE Piezo yesterday from a main dealer in the UK.

I've obviously been aware of the brand for many years but always put off by their price. Whilst I appreciate quality of course, the law of diminishing returns of guitars over a 1,000 (insert £ or $ or €) has made me admire, but not seriously consider, guitars of that price.

That was until I saw some excellent deals being offered in the UK on the SE range. This was sometimes around 60% of the previous street price. I sat up and took notice, tried one out and was hooked.

Played it a lot in the shop, came back home and after a little research I decided that a peizo model was the one for me but they weren't due to arrive for a few weeks.

This week, they had a Black Gold burst in stock and after a closer look at the photos on their website, I could clearly see my name imprinted on the headstock...!!

I can't collect it for another 4 weeks, which will be torture.

It's been many years since I have been so excited about a NGD.

So I suppose that my experince is the exact opposite of the thread title's meaning.

I hope I'm not going to be disappointed.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
Late to the PRS party, but I ordered a Hollowbody SE Piezo yesterday from a main dealer in the UK.
I can't collect it for another 4 weeks, which will be torture.
I hope I'm not going to be disappointed.

I think you will be pleased, as I know I am with mine (a blue one). Some thoughts and ideas for you to ponder as you wait:
  1. I taped two cables together, allowing enough slack to take out the piezo jack independently and easily, to save battery when you're not playing if you leave it out on a stand.
  2. I run the piezo line direct to my PA (no preamp needed, of course) and the humbucker line though my effects pedal then to the PA (I don't have a traditional amplifier).
  3. With most effects, I use the volume knobs to blend the two outputs, always having a little effect on the "acoustic" piezo tone or a modicum of underlying piezo on the electric tones.
  4. The stock tuners are not very good, so I bought some (slightly) better locking ones (PRS branded).
...and Have Fun!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars