The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-31-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I like separate pedals.

I had one of those Zoom or Boss multi-effects pedals for (acoustic guitar) for awhile. Funny - my spellchecker turned "pedals" into "puzzles," which seems fitting. What a PITA.

The biggest drawback for me was that each button had more than one function, depending upon the order in which they were activated. I didn't enjoy cycling through a long series of 2-3 dozen effects (some really loud/startling/bizarre ones too) just to make my way back to the one I accidentally missed. Aggravating. Got rid of it.

The only thing more annoying is trying to jam with someone else who's struggling with their own similar multi-gadget. Dude, I came here to play music, not to wait with my arms dangling while you goof around with that noisy Fisher Price-sounding plaything!

Solution? (This is my electric set-up BTW.) Separate pedals, each with a distinct function. The final one is an A/B switch that routes to the amp/board or to a highly visible tuner (also useful just to silence the guitar). One-Spot power supply. Heavy-duty velcro tape under each pedal. Whole thing works great when I'm busy thinking about music, and not counting clicks on a flimsy digital toy.

Rant over. YMMV
Do you need an amp sim pedal/Preamp pedal to go to the board?
Old 08-31-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Strymon Iridium, UA Dream 65 or the very underrated Walrus ACS1. I saw an Anderton's video comparing these three and I thought the ACS1 was just as good, if not better than, the others. The reverb is a little weak on the ACS1, but everybody's already got a reverb pedal anyway.
I agree with you and Pete the Walrus sounded the best to me also..It had more presence and clarity..Note definition was better also..
It was more like an SF Twin than a BF DR like the other ones..
Old 08-31-2023, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Do you need an amp sim pedal/Preamp pedal to go to the board?
I've never gone direct to the board, but my comment about routing (to amp/board) allowed for those who do. Strictly tube amps for me - in the 15-30w range.

If I did go to the board, I figure some sort of preamp would probably be needed to warm the sound up a bit - less sterile. Even just using the amp, I use as little preamp in my amplifier as possible since a tiny bit of 12AX7 goes a long way and can be harsh.

For club gigs, a lower powered EL84 amp forced to holler a bit has a nicer, warmer sound compared to a beefier EL34 just loafing along. Depending on the size of a venue, there is indeed such a thing as too much available power.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-03-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for the unintentional double-post - please delete this one. Thanks.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-01-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:37 AM

I'm bouncing back and forth...
Since my Holloween gig coming up is a low-volume gig..I can get away with low volume..equipment, in fact think coffee house volume where people still want to talk.
Ideas:
Zoom G1Four into the PA...the limitations are the PA trying to be a guitar amp.. but I like the ease of having the Zoom close at hand to change patches/effects as needed.

another idea:
Just use the PA for Vocals and use my Line6 Spider V20 MK2 for guitar.. It's plenty loud and I'll check that this weekend outside... the problem is there isn't an easy way to change patches or effects..you have to reach down and do it on the amp or have a 6-10ft USB cord to your cell or Ipad(no way)

Running the Spider's headphones out to the PA to get louder...Still patch/effect problem

Just buy a better multi-effects...but it's still a limited PA?

Buy a better Preamp pedal like the Walrus-TC Electronics 65 or ?? but I need some basic effects for certain songs..Trem-Chourus-Delay and maybe compressor

Last but not least..........Maybe the PA is fine it's the Zoom not working well enough for my ears LOL

Last.... maybe my Zoom into a Tube Preamp like the ART TubeMP Studio V3 ??

Life is so hard...lol

Whatever I use I'll have it on my mic/music stand(if small enough or at my feet)

Last edited by CASD57; 09-01-2023 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-02-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
My electric rig is comprised of a tube preamp with other pedals and ultimately goes out to the PA via a DI box. I get nice warm tube tone with the Sovtek 12ax7 I put in the ART MP.
Some pedals include a compressor, reverb, 10 band EQ, volume, and a few others, i.e. delay,, chorus, reverb, looper, noise filter, octave, drive, distortion...
Do you think I could put an Art Tube MP Studio V3 in front of my Zoom G1Four to beef up the tone??
Old 09-02-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Do you think I could put an Art Tube MP Studio V3 in front of my Zoom G1Four to beef up the tone??
You could put it in front, don't expect it to "beef up the tone."

I've owned a lot of different modelers including a Fractal FM3 (which sounds fantastic btw). For me, I only have a few pedal-driven sounds I'm looking for, and I prefer to not have presets but instead dedicated knobs and buttons for tweaking/etc. My solution for when I need to run an electric into a PA/direct is a small pedal board with my necessities, and last step is a TC Impulse pedal with some good IRs (York ftw). For dirt I use Wampler Belle (an improved Nobels clone for low gain) and a Cog Route 66 mini. Then an El Cap for delay and a bit of reverb. I have a few other pedals on that board that work for acoustic or bass, and it serves triple duty - bass, acoustic (including dobro), electric.

I'd rather have one pedal that does one thing really well than a multifx that does a couple of things OK. If you really only have a couple of fx-driven tones you're going for, I think multi fx are a waste of time and effort. If however you really need flanger and chorus and tap delay and..., then it makes sense.

Totally ymmv though. But I wouldn't expect an easy/cheap way to improve the core sound of a cheap modeling pedal.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 09-02-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
You could put it in front, don't expect it to "beef up the tone."

I've owned a lot of different modelers including a Fractal FM3 (which sounds fantastic btw). For me, I only have a few pedal-driven sounds I'm looking for, and I prefer to not have presets but instead dedicated knobs and buttons for tweaking/etc. My solution for when I need to run an electric into a PA/direct is a small pedal board with my necessities, and last step is a TC Impulse pedal with some good IRs (York ftw). For dirt I use Wampler Belle (an improved Nobels clone for low gain) and a Cog Route 66 mini. Then an El Cap for delay and a bit of reverb. I have a few other pedals on that board that work for acoustic or bass, and it serves triple duty - bass, acoustic (including dobro), electric.

I'd rather have one pedal that does one thing really well than a multifx that does a couple of things OK. If you really only have a couple of fx-driven tones you're going for, I think multi fx are a waste of time and effort. If however you really need flanger and chorus and tap delay and..., then it makes sense.

Totally ymmv though. But I wouldn't expect an easy/cheap way to improve the core sound of a cheap modeling pedal.
Makes a lot of sense!!
I really only need:
Amp sim pedal to go into the PA
Reverb
Chorus very little of this
maybe delay and phaser(Waylon stuff)
Old 09-02-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Makes a lot of sense!!
I really only need:
Amp sim pedal to go into the PA
Reverb
Chorus very little of this
maybe delay and phaser(Waylon stuff)
I would go with any of the boxes that have preamp and cab IR (Iridium, ACS, Various UA, Nux amp academy, etc), a combo reverb/delay (Keely Caverns, El Capistan, Nux Atlantic), then some mod pedal(s). Going to be quicker to operate and sound better than any of the budget modelers.

Don’t underestimate the user interface angle. On a gig, I want to be able to quickly tweak something and separate pedals get me that. I’ve lost track of the times I’ve dialed in presets only yo find a particular gig or room render them needing a tweak.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 09-02-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
I would go with any of the boxes that have preamp and cab IR (Iridium, ACS, Various UA, Nux amp academy, etc), a combo reverb/delay (Keely Caverns, El Capistan, Nux Atlantic), then some mod pedal(s). Going to be quicker to operate and sound better than any of the budget modelers.

Don’t underestimate the user interface angle. On a gig, I want to be able to quickly tweak something and separate pedals get me that. I’ve lost track of the times I’ve dialed in presets only yo find a particular gig or room render them needing a tweak.
I agree...How many times do we twist knobs on our amps at gigs LOL

I'll start researching pedals...
Old 09-02-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I agree...How many times do we twist knobs on our amps at gigs LOL

I'll start researching pedals...
Just say no... to menus.

You might think about something like the Zoom AC-3. Turn a knob and you're done.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-02-2023 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Just say no... to menus.

You might think about something like the Zoom AC-3. Turn a knob and you're done.
I wish they had something like that for Electric
I'm pretty setup with my Acoustic
Old 09-03-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I wish they had something like that for Electric
I'm pretty setup with my Acoustic
Back in the 80's I had a Korg G3 multi-effects pedal that had no menus and I LOVED it. I think it had 3 "memory" locations to save whatever you got by twisting the knobs.

I personally think the manufacturers are missing out on a nice niche product by not having something like that available.

Nothing to keep you from using an acoustic guitar pedal with your electric, though. Most of the pedal-based distortion emulations fall short. Better to do that with your amp.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Back in the 80's I had a Korg G3 multi-effects pedal that had no menus and I LOVED it. I think it had 3 "memory" locations to save whatever you got by twisting the knobs.

I personally think the manufacturers are missing out on a nice niche product by not having something like that available.

I agree with you completely, I think it would be a winner. Three variations is all most anyone needs anyway….the K.I.S.S. method.
In fact, I spoke with Brian Wampler about that very thing via email just last week. He told me that Wampler Pedals will be releasing a “ three memory” location overdrive/distortion pedal in the near future.
It will likely retail for around $300 or so.
I’ll be snarfing one of those up as soon as they are available.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-03-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Nothing to keep you from using an acoustic guitar pedal with your electric, though. Most of the pedal-based distortion emulations fall short. Better to do that with your amp.
I've got a Zoom A1Four I should try out.... Never know maybe a Gibson Jumbo Patch sounds like a Fender Twin patch LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars