The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-09-2023, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Wow Glenn. That was just a stunning performance, and it left me all choked up. Is there not a finer sounding instrument that the human voice, and your granddaughter has an amazing one. It sounds classically trained to my ears, with so much purity, especially evident when she hits certain notes or inflections. That's what really elevates her performance to my ears. I tell you, she would have given Judy Garland a run for her money at the audition back in '39. Really special. Please pass along the thanks to her for sharing her gift with us.
I would also mention that your accompaniment was also first rate. It didn't look that easy either, with so many chord changes all the while keeping good time. Great stuff from granddad too!
And great balance between both for the recording.
You really are a talented family of musicians and singers. Always a treat to see what you post next. (Guinevere maybe? )
Thanks again for this very special performance of a true classic.
Hi Andre!

Thank you so much for all your kind words! How nice of you!

I agree with you that a beautiful singing voice does something to the human spirit! And I had similar reactions to Emma's singing while we were practicing for this!

As I have mentioned to others here, Emma has had considerable classical training, having grown up in a house with both mom and dad having classical training and being voice teachers.

I bet I hear the same places that you do, Andre, when Emma hits certain notes in the song. It just sort of takes a person's breath away and I wonder, how do you do that? It's pretty nice to be compared to Judy Garland's level of talent.

I am also very pleased that you felt I did reasonably well with my accompaniment, which was challenging on an acoustic guitar. I was kind of hoping that Emma would want to sing this with my archtop jazz guitar, but she liked this sound from the Olson better. In the end, I think she made the right choice!

Regarding balance between singer and guitar, I did have two SDC mics on the guitar and an LDC on Emma's voice, so I did have the ability to adjust the mix after the fact. That was very helpful.

Interesting that you should bring up David Crosby's "Guinnevere." I am working that up with my son, Ian, Emma's dad. I don't know when we'll be ready for that, but I am looking forward to it.

Thanks so much Andre! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2023, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful!
Both of you combing your family talents.
Over the Rainbow is one of songs we first hear as children.
Nice to see you and your granddaughter playing and singing a childhood memory.
Thanks for sharing with me.
Hi Westview!

Thank you for your kind comments!

Yes, "Over the Rainbow" is a song we tend to learn in childhood because of "The Wizard of Oz," and Judy Garland at age 15 who did such a wonderful job on that song! What a voice she had!

It was a special treat for me that Emma took time out of her school day to sing with my accompaniment. And she is such a lovely to person to hang out with!

I hope all is well for you Westview! Be well out there!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2023, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Emma has a great voice and enough power to have the mic offset like that ..
and I love the subtle rainbow backdrop very cool

Your next next assignment, should you choose to accept it, Mr Willow. Is use key framing to have the rainbow move horizontal across the backdrop in cadence
Thank you Kevin!

Yes, Emma has terrific power and she can use all that volume and still sound lovely! So you are exactly right... we could locate that large tube condenser mic up above her and get it out of the way of her face.

Also, I am glad you felt that rainbow background worked out okay! I will have to work on that key framing thing!

Thanks so much Kevin! I hope you and your wife are doing well!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
As others have said, Glenn, choked up with chills this morning over this! In part because I have a grand daughter who aspires to be where your Emma is and is working hard toward that. And partly just because this was so, so wonderful!

Such development since "House at Pooh Corner" as you've mentioned previously with Emma's busy schedule and training! We can only hope for more, and more, but I know it tough with her schedule. Is she still in school, or now graduated?? What's ahead for her musically?

And finally,, the smile she offers at the very end........what a capstone to this marvelous performance. No words!!!

Thanks so much Glenn!!

Fred
Hi Fred!

I'm so pleased that you felt this came out well! Yes, she has come quite a way in singing ability since House at Pooh Corner. That must have been about five years ago and young people grow up so ridiculously fast it seems!

Emma is 19 years old, going to a local college, expecting to graduate with an associate degree this summer. Then she will be going off to major in vocal performance to study for the opera at a four-year school, but where that will be, who knows. The next year is going to be filled with a lot of mystery and surprises, I'm sure.

That smile at the end I saw only after reviewing the video and the performance. I was concentrating so hard on the guitar throughout the song, I think she was identifying with me, not wanting to mess up her performance!

Thanks so much Fred! I hope all is well there for you!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2023, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Dweller View Post
Wow, what a voice, that was stunning
Thank you Robbie! Thank you for taking time to listen and comment! I'm so pleased that you felt this came out well! Thank you for your kind words!

In truth, there were times when we we preparing for this where I was stunned, too. She has such an amazing voice! And she is such a lovely person!

I hope all is well for you Robbie! I have been enjoying your recordings!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2023, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
she has an amazing voice, and she apparently knows what she's doing.

nice Glenn!
Hi Ray,

Thank you! I agree! She has an amazing voice and she does know what she's doing.

At one point she was unhappy about some vowel. So she went through a phrase a few times with me until she figured out how she wanted to handle it, and then, off she went. So yes, she has a lot of tools at her disposal for such a young person -- 19 years old.

Thanks Ray! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2023, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLeach View Post
What a beautiful rendition of this classic from both of you. I really enjoyed it.. Mahalo for sharing it.. Ron
Hi Ron!

Thank you! And Mahalo back to you! Thank you for your kind words!

Thank you for taking time to listen and comment! It's greatly appreciated!

I hope you are doing well!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2023, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Stunning.

As a companion piece I like to play When You Wish Upon A Star. Similar feeling and era.

Thanks again for sharing with us. Renewing my hope that great music will not die.
Thank you Jack! Thanks for the kind comments! Much appreciated!

Yes, this song has a similar feel to When You Wish Upon A Star. Another great song! I think people will still be singing great songs well into the future, Jack!

I hope you are doing well!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 03-10-2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
In the six years and around twenty five hundred posts I’ve been linked to, this is the absolute best vocal I’ve ever heard on this forum.

You’re doing good grandpa! Keep up the great work Emma!

frank d.
Thank you Frank! I will pass that and so many of the other generous comments here on to Emma! She will be very pleased to read your kind thoughts and comments!

I hope all is well for you and your family, Frank! Be well out there!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2023, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

What a great combination of you two. I'll look forward to more collaborations that I hope you'll share with us.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
What a great combination of you two. I'll look forward to more collaborations that I hope you'll share with us.
Thank you Leew!

I hope there might be another collaboration, but who knows. I'm retired and have lot of time now, but my grand daughter is a student and is pretty busy. And, she has a lot of interests. She is also a classical ballet dancer, so her time is pretty precious.

Thanks for taking time to watch and comment! Much appreciated! I hope you are well!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

That smile at the end I saw only after reviewing the video and the performance. I was concentrating so hard on the guitar throughout the song, I think she was identifying with me, not wanting to mess up her performance!

Thanks so much Fred! I hope all is well there for you!

- Glenn
Yeah, that smile said a lot....kind of like "oh, I think we just made a good take"!
And I think Grampa knows it too!" LOL! Such a telling impromptu moment right there!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-09-2023, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Yeah, that smile said a lot....kind of like "oh, I think we just made a good take"!
And I think Grampa knows it too!" LOL! Such a telling impromptu moment right there!
Yeah..., thanks for that, Fred!

- Glenn
Old 03-09-2023, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

your guitar playing is exceptional as always Glenn but OMG your Granddaughters voice is outstanding!!!!. the 3 greatest voices of the 20th century (imo), Judy Garland, Whitney Houston and Karen Carpenter would give her a standing ovation from up above. Bravo!!! I enjoyed that immensely

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom

Last edited by ssstewart; 03-09-2023 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-09-2023, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
your guitar playing is exceptional as always Glenn but OMG your Granddaughters voice is outstanding!!!!. the 3 greatest voices of the 20th century (imo), Judy Garland, Whitney Houston and Karen Carpenter would give her a standing ovation from up above. Bravo!!! I enjoyed that immensely
Thank you Don!

How nice of you! Emma, I'm sure, will also appreciate having her voice compared to Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, and Karen Carpenter.

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed this, Don! I felt the same way you did about this performance, that my playing was adequate for the song, but it is Emma's voice that makes this outstanding!

Thank you so much, Don, for your kind comments! They are greatly appreciated! I hope all is well for you up there in Atlantic Canada!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell