The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-01-2021, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Not that unusual for "pressure" chords (some barres and the like) to be more difficult when learning a piece when you are playing at a slower, or even a practically stopped, tempo. Once up to speed in many cases those chords can go by so fast that there is little strain on the hand.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-01-2021, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I don't have any I hate at the moment. As far as hating the sound, there are some that sound better played up the neck instead of open, but it usually depends on the song for me. But if I find a chord that is hard for me to play I get mean with it and make it mine. I'll play it from every angle until it is vanquished. I'm just that way. I take it personal. It is me against the chord and I'll never let a chord whup me.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 07-01-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
I play that piece and recorded it too. The music transcription I have is the one derived from Mason Williams's original recording.
According to that, and the way I play it, the Bb chord shows up in three places.
First, which is what I think you are referring to, as a transition chord between the F and the repeated Dmadd9/A chord which appears before the horn section. But the way to play it effectively is not to finger it as a bar, but rather as a 4 string chord, with your index on the 5th string first fret (Bb), and your middle, ring and pinky on the 3rd fret of the 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings resp.
That's important, because the F note (where your middle finger is) is an 8th note that quickly resolves to an open D string right before the suspended chord is played, and adds even more "suspension" to the proceedings, which is part of its charm. (imo).

The second time is at the end of the horn section transcribed for guitar, but there it's much more effective when played as a barred E on the 6th fret. That's because the chords are fuller, and the F right before it is a barred chord at the 1st fret. The fullness of the entire chord progression is more important there.
Lastly, there is a Bb in the Coda section (at the end), but the chord leads into the single note run ending, so it's just a two note hint at the chord (Bb bass and top D note).
I'm using Mason Williams as the source, but there are other artists that have covered it of course.
It's not quite the same as what you are showing. Where is your music from? Does it sound right to you?
Cool song though. Have fun with it regardless.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-01-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Thanks!

As TBman says, you don't need the full chord, although I don't think that makes it any easier. The obvious way (for me) to play that would be the 3rd fret barre dropping to the 1st fret barre, releasing it on the way to get the open A.
I would play both shapes with all 4 fingers - middle on 4th string even when it's not being played. Pinky stays on 2nd string all the way.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
I play that piece and recorded it too. The music transcription I have is the one derived from Mason Williams's original recording.
According to that, and the way I play it, the Bb chord shows up in three places.
First, which is what I think you are referring to, as a transition chord between the F and the repeated Dmadd9/A chord which appears before the horn section. But the way to play it effectively is not to finger it as a bar, but rather as a 4 string chord, with your index on the 5th string first fret (Bb), and your middle, ring and pinky on the 3rd fret of the 4th, 3rd and 2nd strings resp.
That's important, because the F note (where your middle finger is) is an 8th note that quickly resolves to an open D string right before the suspended chord is played, and adds even more "suspension" to the proceedings, which is part of its charm. (imo).

The second time is at the end of the horn section transcribed for guitar, but there it's much more effective when played as a barred E on the 6th fret. That's because the chords are fuller, and the F right before it is a barred chord at the 1st fret. The fullness of the entire chord progression is more important there.
Lastly, there is a Bb in the Coda section (at the end), but the chord leads into the single note run ending, so it's just a two note hint at the chord (Bb bass and top D note).
I'm using Mason Williams as the source, but there are other artists that have covered it of course.
It's not quite the same as what you are showing. Where is your music from? Does it sound right to you?
Cool song though. Have fun with it regardless.
Jerry's Guitar Bar. The recording with him sounds fine. Playing it with correct timing is imperative. He does say this section is the most difficult of the piece if I remember right?

I could probably technically post the recording for the lesson, but not sure that would be fair to Jerry since he charge's for it.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:24 PM

Thank you all for your responses! Going to try a few things that are suggested. I need to get through these particular bars to move on and memorize the entire song. The rest looks much easier.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

This G7 doesn’t look hard, but I’m struggling with getting into it smoothly coming out on a C shape. The pinky is slow to fall in line. Can’t barre it in this tune as open strings are needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3E9F405E-73B6-4759-99F0-26F2DA7D21BF.jpg (20.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-01-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Seriously - I'm a lefty who plays righty, and I do a lot of things that are "wrong" - for example using the index finger to cover the D, G & B strings on the open A chord, using my first three rather than last three fingers on the open D, etc. However, it works for me so I keep doing what works - I've been playing over 50 years, so it doesn't really make sense for me to change just so more formally-trained guitarists (never had a lesson) don't have a conniption...
That's wrong? I've never done it any other way. If you use the last three fingers the pinky isn't available for the third fret G for a Dsus, among other things. I could see using the last three fingers if I needed to go back and forth really fast between the D and a barre chord (especially a first-fret barre chord, F or Bb). But I can't see what the advantage would be of making it the default position.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 07-01-2021, 05:49 PM

I hate the B chord. Hate hate hate. My fingers from years of football do not bend in the arch that I see others do to play 3 strings at a time. They just can not do that so B is on the 7th fret for me in the F- bar shape. B flat, 6th fret
Old 07-01-2021, 07:32 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
This G7 doesn’t look hard, but I’m struggling with getting into it smoothly coming out on a C shape. The pinky is slow to fall in line. Can’t barre it in this tune as open strings are needed.
Practice moving to it from a C7 chord form at the 3rd fret (A D7 actually). The index and ring fingers move, the others slide down.

Going from the C form at the first fret the middle finger stays on the fret board, you just slide it up.

This book will go over similar things. Its a movable chord system.

Mel Bay's Rhythm Chord System

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-02-2021, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Practice moving to it from a C7 chord form at the 3rd fret (A D7 actually). The index and ring fingers move, the others slide down.

Going from the C form at the first fret the middle finger stays on the fret board, you just slide it up.

Thanks for that tip, Barry. I tend to pick my whole hand up when changing chords, rather than look for opportunities to pivot or slide while keeping one or more fingers down on the same string for both chords. I'll give it a go! Will check out that book, too, like I need more instructional materials
Old 07-02-2021, 10:05 AM

Barre chords in general
Old 07-02-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Someone beat me to it. Open G7 is an ugly sounding chord, I don’t care in what context, it’s just not pleasing to (my) ear.
While I dont dissagree, I recently recorded a song where I use it as a "through" chord on some key changes and IMO, though its an ugly chord, it did make for some smooth key changes in the context I used it. I think I'm playing in A maj, then I end on a G, drop to the 7th and then move into A Minor or a C maj depending on the part. If you care to you can give the song a listen, its a pretty simple Pink Floyd-esque chord progression, but it has quite a few key changes that happen so smooth you almost dont even notice them. https://soundcloud.com/user-348714923/hush

As for the B, I either tend to either leave out the third, leave out the barre if I need the third and play it just as a powerchord with a third, or use a dominent or major 7th if that sounds good. So I must hate that chord as much as the OP, since now that I think about it, I rarely do actually use it.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I hate the B chord. Hate hate hate. My fingers from years of football do not bend in the arch that I see others do to play 3 strings at a time. They just can not do that so B is on the 7th fret for me in the F- bar shape. B flat, 6th fret
Easyest cheat, play a power chord with the added octave as well as the open B and high E strings. If you realy want that major 3rd you can hit the root on the 5th string, the major 3rd on the 4th mute the G string and let the two highest strings ring open. Adding a 7th on the G string, and using your open strings can sound pretty interesting too.

This has pretty much become a big part of playing style on an accoustic, using partial chord formations all over the fret board filled out with open strings. Sometimes it can make for a chimey almost 12 string sound, other times I end up creating some very dark harmonic chords that sound far more interesting that whatever else I might have used, other times it makes for more of a "wandery/ suggestive" sort of chord progression and when I do eventually start moving around full chord formations the music takes on a more resolved feeling. Either way, whether some guys want to call them cheats or not, I think they tend to make for an interesting alternative at times.

Last edited by Bushleague; 07-02-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

Or that chord plays very easily using a thumb wrap on the low E string, so on the third fret you have thumb, index, middle, with the ring finger picking up the G string on the 4th fret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write