The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-31-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N+1 View Post
Here are two offerings for the Dylanfest. I was playing a lot of Dylan about 20 years ago, and this recording of I and I was made by a friend while I played it in the kitchen.

This second one, Baby let me follow you down, was recorded also in the kitchen, but by me, just a few years ago. I was trying emulate 1966 electric Dylan with a cheap electric guitar, a Fender Mustang, and a bodhran for percussion. ("Judas!")

I particularly liked the "I and I" because you built a nice groove and atmosphere and the I liked the passionate vocals and then because it's such an unusual choice to cover.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-31-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Also found this one.

Loved the space in this one, that spare acoustic sound, and the intimate naturalistic vocal.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-31-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I’ve Made Up My Mind to Give Myself to You

I liked that.

Several here have already made the choice to slow a Dylan song down and even add some space between the notes. You show that another approach, picking up the tempo and playing a very pleasing picking pattern with variations can work too.

Bonus points for picking an unusual one to cover too!

Old 08-31-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, AFAIK I only play one Dylan Song and I felt I couldn't put it on here as Glenn beat me to it, but now someone else has done it too, so maybe it's ok?
Frankly, I've never been a great fan of Dylan, but this one contained a story that spoke to me.

It isn't a pretty song it's a bitter cynical song. so here's my version:

I'd seen this one before, but you do such a great job of stressing the story-telling aspect of performing in this and some other videos on your YouTube channel. And just as a performance in the middle point of the video, you show what you're teaching.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Here's the first tune I recorded on my little Goodall Grand Concert (redwood over mahogany)... just voice and guitar, recorded on a Tascam DR-05. I believe I posted this here, but many years ago... this song is still a favorite!

Apologies for not having the thing "right here", but, being largely computer-limited, I don't know how to do that! I did click "embed", but that didn't do it! If anyone can accomplish that, I'd appreciate it very much, just for the ease of listening...

https://soundcloud.com/john-seth-she...torm-bob-dylan
Another nice, fresh arrangement. I've tried and failed to cover this one myself more than once, so it's good to hear someone do a good job with a fresh approach like yours!

Old 08-31-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrew View Post
I don't have a recording ability at the moment, but here's my slow version of All Along the Watchtower from several years back:

I've sung this Dylan song hundreds of times, most often just for my self, but I'm pretty sure I never played it as well you did here. Very nice.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
My favorite Dylan tune. It’s a lot to remember

Yup, a lot to remember and at tempo too. I can recall a party sing-along of this song many years ago in my life, and the singer and many at the party could recall the whole thing. Now-a-days? No way! I'd probably need a lyric sheet to cover Dylan's "All the Tired Horses In the Sun."

Old 08-31-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatgumbino View Post
Kudos to all the performances so far. Here's my version of You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go off Blood on the Tracks. Recorded with an iPhone.

I think I've now listened to and commented at least one of every performer's Dylan covers here, and your gets the virtual closing spot. One thing I notice is that you have an effective strumming arrangement, while I think the majority of solo voice and acoustic performances I've seen in this thread are finger-picking playing. Since I myself have moved this year once more try more strumming on acoustic accompaniments, I wanted to say that yours show that's effective.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:33 PM

Wouldn't have guessed it before going through this thread but it looks like "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" is the official AGF Dylan song to cover. We've got:

Ray Sachs and his let's give this one a go take on it. Fenderbells electric band version with the nice hot guitar coda. CatDaddy's tight full band version. KevWind doing both a stripped-down one-take solo acoustic and vocal and a band version with some kind of violin or bowed string sound patch in there.

Anyway, amazing group of Dylan covers overall. Lot of talent here for sure.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I liked that.

Several here have already made the choice to slow a Dylan song down and even add some space between the notes. You show that another approach, picking up the tempo and playing a very pleasing picking pattern with variations can work too.

Bonus points for picking an unusual one to cover too!
Thanks Frank!

Old 09-01-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Great thread. This was a quick Guitars For Veterans lesson for a group of graduates preparing to play and sing this at a memorial ceremony for a fallen colleague.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:04 AM

I've always enjoyed singing Bob Dylan songs. So many different kinds of characters in his songs, and such a broad catalog of material that it's fun to try things that haven't been covered often. So here's my version of "Went to See the Gypsy" off the now little-remembered "New Morning" LP.

I've talked about using virtual instruments for orchestral instrument scoring from time to time, but I don't know if I've ever presented an example of that to the AGF, and when I do present things here it tends to be work from my Parlando Project which is focused on areas that don't necessarily have broad appeal/interest (that's even sort of it's point).

Halfway through this rendition, which was a live performance consisting of guitar, vocal and a soft keyboard part, I bring in a fairly full orchestra section with a violin melody all of which I composed and recorded later. My orchestrations tend to be simple musically (I sometimes call it "punk-rock orchestral" because of that simplicity) but I think this one worked out well.

There's at least two typos in the text in the video. I blame bad eyesight and the late night effort to make a video out of it.

Last edited by FrankHudson; 09-12-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Wouldn't have guessed it before going through this thread but it looks like "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" is the official AGF Dylan song to cover. We've got:

Ray Sachs and his let's give this one a go take on it. Fenderbells electric band version with the nice hot guitar coda. CatDaddy's tight full band version. KevWind doing both a stripped-down one-take solo acoustic and vocal and a band version with some kind of violin or bowed string sound patch in there.

Anyway, amazing group of Dylan covers overall. Lot of talent here for sure.
Hey Frank really cool version of Went To See The Gypsy

Yes seems You Ain't Goin' Nowhere is well liked And thanks , yes its a string orchestra played in via midi keyboard .

I think the diversity of styles and interesting arrangements here on AGF is pretty cool Just some really great performances

Glenn Willows "My Back Pages " inspired me to tune up the 12 string ... also (Kinda surprised no one has posted this yet ) SO.... Here is a quick version I did yesterday of Mr. Tamborine Man the newest in my One Shot One Take series

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-15-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:45 PM

Default What the heck...

...I'll play too.

Quick and truncated sample of a favorite of mine from Nashville Skyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zydmq-ZJrU
Old 09-15-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey Frank really cool version of Went To See The Gypsy

Yes seems You Ain't Goin' Nowhere is well liked And thanks , yes its a string orchestra played in via midi keyboard .

I think the diversity of styles and interesting arrangements here on AGF is pretty cool Just some really great performances

Glenn's "My Back Pages " inspired me to tune up the 12 string ... also (Kinda surprised no one has posted this yet ) SO.... Here is a quick version I did yesterday of Mr. Tamborine Man the newest in my One Shot One Take series

Aha, you got the McGuinn/Bach-a-like opening lick in there!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell