The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 09:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aculadd View Post
Bruce, do you think it would be possible for those of us who are interested, to be able to get the text of your presentation in Oct.? I for one would really love to hear your thoughts on this subject.
It's probably a ripe time for me to wrote something comprehensive on this subject for my web-presence. I have been considering this all day.

Meanwhile, there is a thread on this subject in the technical forum at UMGF where I am sharing my thinking, but I have seen the conservative element there take exception to what COULD be perceived as Martin bashing, so who knows where the thread will go. Doing such a thread here would risk offending a different cadre, and could have its dangers as well. New ideas are generally perceived as dangerous by the entrenched no matter what they have dug themselves into.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 09-14-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:19 AM

Count me in as one who would love to hear your thoughts on this Bruce!
Old 09-15-2015, 07:16 PM

Plus one as interested to hear your views!
Old 09-20-2015, 10:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Last night, Saturday, I went to PegHead Nation's 1st year anniversary celebration at Dan Gabel's house in San Rafael. He founded PHN Along with Teja Gerkin and Scott Nygard after the 3 of them basically ran Acoustic Guitar Magazine for a number of years. I like the people and the product, and I am a supporter.

Basically, we ate, drank and played music for the entire evening, a very good time.

If you haven't checked out their website, I do suggest you waste no more time.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
It's probably a ripe time for me to write something comprehensive on this subject for my web-presence. I have been considering this all day.

Meanwhile, there is a thread on this subject in the technical forum at UMGF where I am sharing my thinking, but I have seen the conservative element there take exception to what COULD be perceived as Martin bashing, so who knows where the thread will go. Doing such a thread here would risk offending a different cadre, and could have its dangers as well. New ideas are generally perceived as dangerous by the entrenched no matter what they have dug themselves into.
Hey Bruce -- It strikes me that you could do a talk and Q&A session about this at the Santa Barbara Guitar Festival next year. I think you would get a very good turnout. You might also then set the example of one more type of attraction for the festival in general. Guitars, workshops, concerts, demos, and stir-em-up talks from luthiers. I'll be there to watch the fireworks!

Seriously, though, I think it would be popular with us amateur masses.

Reid
Old 09-22-2015, 09:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

I haven't been asked to speak at a major event, though I have offered to do so in the past. There are several interesting and related subjects I can spend an hour or so on. It seems that there are some "regular suspects" who get these opportunities, and so far I haven't been recognized as a qualified "culprit", but it may happen yet.

For those in the Bay Area who are interested, and at the risk of repeating myself, I will be speaking on this subject on the evening of October 8 in Sausalito (21 Princess, I think). I will also show off my latest work and tie it into the concept, and perhaps play a few tunes. I think it's $15 and probably a good idea to rsvp as it is said to be a small venue. Contact the San Francisco Guitar Society for information
Old 10-07-2015, 11:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Bumped this thread to remind any who are interested that tomorrow night (10/8/15) at 7:15 is the time of my presentation hosted by the San Francisco Bay Area Guitar Society.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Bumped this thread to remind any who are interested that tomorrow night (10/8/15) at 7:15 is the time of my presentation hosted by the San Francisco Bay Area Guitar Society.

Hi Bruce. Hope the talk went well! Can a brutha get a summary of the talk? I just got gore and gilet books and I'm dying to hear an articulate view of the vintage vs contemporary build approach compare/contrast etc. I'm not sure how in depth you go on the discussion but id love to hear any of it, being that I'm a rogue and cyber half-arse disciple.

Sam
Old 10-09-2015, 07:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left of Sam View Post
Hi Bruce. Hope the talk went well! Can a brutha get a summary of the talk? I just got gore and gilet books and I'm dying to hear an articulate view of the vintage vs contemporary build approach compare/contrast etc. I'm not sure how in depth you go on the discussion but id love to hear any of it, being that I'm a rogue and cyber half-arse disciple.

Sam
I talked for 2 and 3/4 hours including illustrating my points with several guitars I brought along. No way I am synopsizing that here. Most, but certainly not all, of the points I touched on have been sketched out here in AGF. I Enjoy speaking to a group far more than I do writing more than a paragraph or two, so if you are interested, try to catch me next time.

We're "you" to visit me in the shop and demonstrated an enquiring mind you would not find me withholding.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I talked for 2 and 3/4 hours including illustrating my points with several guitars I brought along. No way I am synopsizing that here. Most, but certainly not all, of the points I touched on have been sketched out here in AGF. I Enjoy speaking to a group far more than I do writing more than a paragraph or two, so if you are interested, try to catch me next time.

We're "you" to visit me in the shop and demonstrated an enquiring mind you would not find me withholding.
I definitely understand not wanting to write it up. So to visit you and your shop sounds about as fun as fun can get so expect me..... you are such an open-spirited person! I'll even bring some wide grained Oregon englemann to see if you could use it.

I don't know if you or those who read this thread spend much time comparing and contrasting guitars online, but I do whenever it seems the recording/player fields are leveled. That is generally the case with dream guitars website and I think those looking for a guitar with warmth, balance and clarity would be hard-pressed to find a better tone than your 000-45 on there. Great sounding guitar. Whereas most modern guitars on their site seem to have a bit of a harshness or sharpness in trebles, your guitars are just smooth and clear. Great stuff.

http://www.dreamguitars.com/sold-gui..._00045_290301/

Looking forward to your next build progress post!

Sam
Old 10-12-2015, 01:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the quick plug, Sam. Al Pettaway plays a lot of guitars for the Dream web-presence, so I forgive him for getting a couple of details off base. The guitar is Tucarensis, not Brazilian, and it is my own design rendered in 45 trim, not a copy of a Martin 000.

I doubt anyone at Dream is aware of the original owner as there was an interim owner before they got it. I sold that guitar to Richard Glick (deceased) who had a well advertised business he called "Fine Guitar Consultants", one of the earliest home based high end guitar resellers. Richard was a bigger than life person (controvesial) who also happened to be quite a picker. He used this particular guitar as his personal instrument for several years, though I do not think it was he who created the rather spectacular "mojo".

It was my first "45" and was made to work out any kinks before I made one which was commissioned by Eric Schoenberg, and which coincidentally has recent come back to Eric's shop where it is currently for sale. The Schoenberg IS Brazilian, though not necessarily any better than the one Dream has now sold, certainly it is in better shape.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 10-12-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

I shipped the Archtop and my newest Mini-D (25.4" scale dread shape but fits in a 000 case) BRW/Adi to the East coast last Friday. Tomorrow I will pack the third guitar I will show at the Woodstock Luthier's Showcase (10/23, 24, 25), almost certainly the all Walnut I made last spring. I cleaned it up and put on new strings a couple of days ago, and found it to be not simply impressive for all walnut, but an above average example of my work, no caveat needed. As I built it I always thought it would work adequately, but never expected it to be as good as I now find it to be. If you are coming to the Woodstock show I hope you will cross the isle to give it a pluck. If you are reading this here, please introduce yourself as I would love to put a face on your handle.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:04 PM

Hi Bruce - is this the mini-D you are taking? Looks great. I somehow missed these pics.

Sam

Quote:

Here's yet another version of Jenny on the Railroad. Not an hour old!

I used the Schertler tuners:
Old 10-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left of Sam View Post
Hi Bruce - is this the mini-D you are taking? Looks great. I somehow missed these pics.

Sam
Yes, that's the one...
Old 10-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I shipped the Archtop and my newest Mini-D (25.4" scale dread shape but fits in a 000 case) BRW/Adi to the East coast last Friday. Tomorrow I will pack the third guitar I will show at the Woodstock Luthier's Showcase (10/23, 24, 25), almost certainly the all Walnut I made last spring. I cleaned it up and put on new strings a couple of days ago, and found it to be not simply impressive for all walnut, but an above average example of my work, no caveat needed. As I built it I always thought it would work adequately, but never expected it to be as good as I now find it to be. If you are coming to the Woodstock show I hope you will cross the isle to give it a pluck. If you are reading this here, please introduce yourself as I would love to put a face on your handle.
Hi Bruce. Hope to be there tomorrow and would love to see the all Wallnut. What model is it?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop