The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 AM

Default An ask : Slow fingerpicking songs for learning the style

Hi guys, morning from the uk.

Due to most of my musical tastes being in the heavy metal and hard rock ilk, I don't know that many (off the top of my head) slow ballady type songs that could be fingerpicked.

I'm looking for something that will be a good exercise for changing chords without breaking rhythym and improving hand co-ordination all round...

Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Webby
ps/ i have tried stairway to heaven, nothing else matters ... can do bits but getting frustrated so come away from those as i dont have the left hand speed/co-ordination to change. if i try these i get frustrated and so would rather practice on something slower to help build method

Last edited by webby; 11-08-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Dearest Webby,

That last comment about trying a few parts of Stair. to Heaven and them giving you grief b/c it's too hard to....etc.

I'm a beginner, with only a year in now. I do a lot of DVD lessons/songs fingerstyle and a VERY important lesson I've come across time and time again is to go S_L_O_W!

Seriously SLOW!!

Then cut that time down. Never play around out of time b/c you'll learn to remember that and it will compound the troubles.

Slowdown and play it correctly, even if you go SO SLOW that the song doesn't sound like the song. It will in time.

The best way to learn how to play fast is to play slow. Think about it...makes perfect sense!

The struggle comes in making yourself do it! I know...I'm right there with you.

Think about it and then do it.

Jeremy.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:09 PM

I enjoy playing this one... It's the same pattern and 4 chords (Am C G D) all the way through. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01FE9cPXE3M

'79 Yairi Limited edition DY-50 #031 of 900
Yairi Dy74, Dy75, DY77
S & P Showcase Rosewood AER
S & P Pro Curly Maple
S & P Pro rosewood
'64 Martin Baritone Ukulele
Kala LE Spruce & Spalted/Flamed Maple Baritone
Lanikai Mahogany Tenor
Lots of percussion stuff

Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule
Old 11-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarpix View Post
I enjoy playing this one... It's the same pattern and 4 chords (Am C G D) all the way through. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01FE9cPXE3M
Thanks Guitarpix. will get cracking on that

Webby
Old 11-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyG View Post
Dearest Webby,

That last comment about trying a few parts of Stair. to Heaven and them giving you grief b/c it's too hard to....etc.

I'm a beginner, with only a year in now. I do a lot of DVD lessons/songs fingerstyle and a VERY important lesson I've come across time and time again is to go S_L_O_W!

Seriously SLOW!!

Then cut that time down. Never play around out of time b/c you'll learn to remember that and it will compound the troubles.

Slowdown and play it correctly, even if you go SO SLOW that the song doesn't sound like the song. It will in time.

The best way to learn how to play fast is to play slow. Think about it...makes perfect sense!

The struggle comes in making yourself do it! I know...I'm right there with you.

Think about it and then do it.

Jeremy.
Hi Jeremy. appreciate your time on that response, and i do go back to it now and then but think i was a bit ahead of myself in trying stairway and others of the kind, would rather have a bit more flexibility and "experience" behind me before trying the more complicated ones.

I'm now at the stage where the work i have done has elevated me beyond the clumsey monkey i was when i first got it. and now i have to put in a lot more effort and time. but its finding the material to practice with to get me ready for the more complex stuff.

thanks
Webby

Last edited by webby; 11-08-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Glad ya liked it!

If you learn that pattern and progression, may as well play this one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfiOWNRgcPI It's almost the same ...

'79 Yairi Limited edition DY-50 #031 of 900
Yairi Dy74, Dy75, DY77
S & P Showcase Rosewood AER
S & P Pro Curly Maple
S & P Pro rosewood
'64 Martin Baritone Ukulele
Kala LE Spruce & Spalted/Flamed Maple Baritone
Lanikai Mahogany Tenor
Lots of percussion stuff

Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule
Old 11-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Once you can play those, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx8mcPpZ8zc
It will seem pretty darned familiar by then.

Also, people keep saying that "Blackbird" is too hard for a beginner, but I think it's completely worth the effort. I'm also a beginner, and after putting 2 weeks of effort into the song I've got it to the point that it sounds decent at pretty close to tempo.

My other tip is to play as slowly as you have to. Doesn't matter what Paul McCartney says the tempo is, when you play, it's whatever you make it. I also learn songs in sections, so maybe verse, bridge, chorus...or the bit I can play and the bit I struggle with. When I get to a struggly bit, I practice it until I get frustrated and then move back to a bit I don't have such a tough time with or the next section of the song. NEVER end your practice session by putting your guitar away in frustration.

Last edited by susitna; 11-08-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Many people play the intro to Stairway -- but very few have it right. People laugh at this tune all the time but it's actually moderately difficult to get it right and clean.

Nothing Else Matters, on the other hand, is very straightforward. If you have a hard time with this, I'd recommend you go back to the basics and learn your chords properly. Then grab a book or two for fingerpicking beginners and just practice away.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM

My other tip is to play as slowly as you have to. Doesn't matter what Paul McCartney says the tempo is, when you play, it's whatever you make it. I also learn songs in sections, so maybe verse, bridge, chorus...or the bit I can play and the bit I struggle with. When I get to a struggly bit, I practice it until I get frustrated and then move back to a bit I don't have such a tough time with or the next section of the song. NEVER end your practice session by putting your guitar away in frustration.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susitna View Post
My other tip is to play as slowly as you have to. Doesn't matter what Paul McCartney says the tempo is, when you play, it's whatever you make it.
+1

OP, the tunes you are trying out are all reasonable for a beginner. Slow it down, and keep trying until you get it right.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Webby,

Not knowing you at all, I had a thought last night whilst playing. It might be hard to find (??..I dunno, I'm guessing) some hard rock-type songs that are simplified for a beginner.

Maybe let that need go for a bit and try some more "traditional" stuff that has all the chordal changes you need to get practiced up on. I know it may be booring for awhile but you never know, you may find some stuff that's challenging enough yet sounds okay.

It happened to me. I really want to hit the acoustic blues stuff. A song on You Tube lead me to getting some DVD's from S. Grossman. The song I really want to play is towards the end of the final DVD. Hmmm..

He says you don't HAVE to go through them all in order but I've learned with all the tricks/techniques/learning you find along the way it's nearly necessary for a rookie.

That, and I've found a whole slew of songs that are really good to play. He makes them look "not so hard"! The skill of the professional. Wait until you try them....

Just a thought. Don't get stuck into any one thing.

I "hate" classical...I did, until I heard Pachelbell and Romaza. Blew that feeling all to pieces!

Jeremy.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 AM

When i started first i was struck by how even at slow speeds the most aggressive music when picked still sounds melodic .Dylans think twice is lovely when learning the patterns because you still creating melodic music ( sometimes nothing like what it sounds when up to speed but still marvelous music all the same ).Personally i think in at the deep end ,you dont have to include all the frills and depending on your aims you borrow what you need from it ( if they are over simple there is nothing to borrow and may loose your attention from being uninteresting ) Most picking i have found revolve round the basic base and alternating style and it is that you need to concentrate on .

I remember also thinking fingerstyle often too closely associated with picking ..............i find them very very different in approach in learning .One is very much just simple chord work where you still hold the chord shapes correctly even though not using the full chord ( for one the other strings resonate with the strings that are held and for another you are much less likely to find yourself tied up in knots with the fretting hand .
Finger style i found much more centered on scale work .

Rules are there to help not restrict i find and i just like borrowing ideas

I may be talking beyond my ability but i find my bull helpful for keeping me interested in getting better
Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Hey i just remembered my first one i finnished its called street spirit by Radio Head ...........really really simple but great to play
Old 11-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarpix View Post
i like this also
Old 11-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Default Hi Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyG View Post
Webby,

Not knowing you at all, I had a thought last night whilst playing. It might be hard to find (??..I dunno, I'm guessing) some hard rock-type songs that are simplified for a beginner.

Maybe let that need go for a bit and try some more "traditional" stuff that has all the chordal changes you need to get practiced up on. I know it may be booring for awhile but you never know, you may find some stuff that's challenging enough yet sounds okay.

It happened to me. I really want to hit the acoustic blues stuff. A song on You Tube lead me to getting some DVD's from S. Grossman. The song I really want to play is towards the end of the final DVD. Hmmm..

He says you don't HAVE to go through them all in order but I've learned with all the tricks/techniques/learning you find along the way it's nearly necessary for a rookie.

That, and I've found a whole slew of songs that are really good to play. He makes them look "not so hard"! The skill of the professional. Wait until you try them....

Just a thought. Don't get stuck into any one thing.

I "hate" classical...I did, until I heard Pachelbell and Romaza. Blew that feeling all to pieces!

Jeremy.
Thanks for taking the time. I am willing to play anything if it helps me become more accomplished. I have never wanted to play hard heavy stuff, just be able to chill out at home with a guitar, beer or two and just play something that does not sound like a monkey with a drum. I would not have even heard of, let alone willingly sit down and listen to Jewel or Nine Black Alps if it were not for this thread, and the music in those songs have pleasantly suprised me. I do have a mellow side, but until recently I think the most melloow song i owned was nothing else matters or fear of the dark, or nemo by nightwish BUt now I am trying to play the guitar, I am hearing of all sorts of music and actually listening to them .... The mrs thinks im going soft

I heard romanza about 3 days after i first picked up the guitar, and that is the song that made me want to start fingerpicking. I still go back to it now and then, but want to tray as many different things as poss just coz im awkward

Not heard of Pachebell yet, but will have a peek on youtube now. Thank you for all the words.
Webby

Last edited by webby; 11-09-2009 at 12:56 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write