The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-20-2024, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Just got done soldering this up with the little yellow ones. It's an Esquire harness with the Eldred mod...

Nice work! That looks great. My rewire is complete. Turned out better than I expected. Phenomenal. Wwwwaaaayyy better than the plastic “circuit board”. It REALLY woke it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I assume this is the one you're talking about:

FYI there are a few of us here who have the same guitar - the 2011 limited edition with the PRS-style revealed "binding" and cream P-90's that make it look like a sweet under-the-bed '56, that was gigged in smoky bars just enough to dull the finish and yellow the binding (but not enough to pick up the stink... ), and got stashed away around the time Elvis got out of the Army - and last time I looked prices ranged from $1600-2000+ for an excellent-condition example (BTW I turned down $1400 from a local hot picker back in 2015 - about what a structurally/electronically-solid but well-worn one goes for today). Maybe it's just the way they were assembled, maybe it's the lightly-finished back/sides that let the instrument breathe, but every guitarist I've known/read about who has had the chance to play one considers them special (no pun intended) - and I wouldn't part with mine at any price...

FWIW your bud's got it right: Gibson had the P-90 formula all sorted out by the early-50's, and IME they sound their best running straight guitar-cable amp - just plug in and let your fingers draw out all the sonic mojo - and although I use mine as a straight-ahead rock machine it'll also do a highly-credible job as a jazzer with the flatwound strings I prefer (bearing in mind that was how old Lester himself intended it - rock-&-roll was still a couple years away when the original P-90 goldtop was intoduced in 1952), and it's the best surf guitar I've ever played...
Thank you, Steve. The more time I spend with it the more I absolutely love it. It’s soooo different from my Standard snd 335. 3 very different animals.

The P-90’s sound great…once you get the height right. They’re VERY sensitive to volume and height. Its smokey, syrupy tone makes for great blues and rock, but as you mentioned…it cleans up rather nicely and can cover a lot of ground. I believe mines a 2013, according to Gibson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I have the same guitar that Steve mentioned (^). It's a wonderful playing and sounding guitar. I bought it used about 8 years ago at Long & McQuade for $550 CAD with an SKB hardshell case. It's a keeper.

PTony, Congrats! Love that finish.
Thank you, friend. It’s a great addition to my stable. I threw on an aluminum Faber tailpiece and bridge that I had laying around. Between that, the re-wire, and fitting the bone nut that I just finished…she’s a real workhorse. Setup superbly and ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Nice! I think P90s and Les Pauls ere made for each other. I have to confess that, if that model came into my hands I would not be able to refrain from polishing out the satin finish...that's just me though.
I agree regarding P-90’s. Although, I love the Burstbuckers in my Standard. I did consider buffing the satin finish to a gloss but I have 3 other gloss guitars and like the rawness of this finish. No pore filler. Thin nitro. Marks, wears, chips easy. I dig it. Not always…but in this case, Satin it remains. Great option though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I like polishing out satin finishes because then where your arm rubs against the guitar it doesn't leave a shiny spot in just that area. And it leaves the neck with an even slick surface. Plus I love that when you buff out a satin finish it seems even thinner and kind of looks more vintage than a full gloss guitar. That said, I find it a lot of work to get the finish to look even when I do it.
Me too, normally. I’ve done it multiple times. As you said, producing an even response can be a challenge. For me…everything comes off. Or, out. I’m a bit OCD, though. So, I’m sure it could be done without a dismantle. I’d prefer to strip it down as to achieve an even response from the products. I do like the process and enjoy the end results. But, in this case, I’m gonna let it get worn and beat on. It’s just kinda wants that…
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars