The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
I won’t be plugging in at all. It would be the version without electronics. I’m a bigger person about 6’3” if that matters.

I really want to choose the one I will feel more in my chest when strummed. I know neither is the best option for that- but a budget is a budget.

My uncles guitar is an old guild dread. I love how I can feel the vibrations.
If you are that big the Yamaha is for you. I would suggest the FG830, even though it is a laminate, I believe it sounds better than the 800 or 820. That is MY opinion, YMMV
Old 06-28-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
I'm not sure I'd want a 24“ scale to be my only guitar, however good an instrument it was. So out of those two it would have to be the Yamaha for me, and some budget left over for setup, bone nut and saddle etc. But choosing only between those two seems like a slightly contrived situation, as the price of the D Junior would also put you in the ballpark of the Yamaha L series, the full size Martin X series, the plainer models of all-solid Eastman, and quite a few more.
This right here. Why limit your search to those two? The price of the D Jr. opens up all kinds of doors.

I own a D-Jr. and a Yamaha LS-16 (all solid woods, but smaller than an FG) and I can tell you that they sound nothing alike. They both sound like guitars, but have a completely different tone. You really need to play whatever you are considering and buy the one that works best for you. Have you looked at used guitars on Craigslist or FB Marketplace? You should be able to play those before buying.
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical
Old 06-28-2022, 10:54 AM

The Martin jr was my “splurge” as it’s more than I can/want to spend. I’m just intrigued by an all solid wood Martin for that price and was curious. In a perfect world I could go to a shop and play everything there and walk out with the one I like most within my budget.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
The Martin jr was my “splurge” as it’s more than I can/want to spend. I’m just intrigued by an all solid wood Martin for that price and was curious. In a perfect world I could go to a shop and play everything there and walk out with the one I like most within my budget.
In this case, I would say to get the Yamaha, then. Why stretch your budget when you are still at the beginning stage of your playing. The Yamaha is a very nice guitar and will last you a lifetime if you want it to. Also, it will give you a much bigger sound than the D-Jr.
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical
Old 06-28-2022, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
I think the best version of the Yamaha is the 820 with mahogany back and sides. Nice upgrade over the 800 and warmer tone than the 830.
I agree. I played an FG820 and it was a standout sonically, but I wasn't ready to buy that day. Weeks later, a different store had FG800 and FG830 for me to sample. The FG800 sounded and looked better to me. The 830 was kind of muddier sounding. It was easy to choose and buy the FG800 and I have been very pleased with it for 2+ years now. Others who know guitars better than I do have praised its tone.

My FG800 has a walnut fretboard. AFAIK the FG820 still has rosewood, which is considered a higher quality wood. In my opinion the sonic differences between the FG800's and FG820's laminate woods are negligible.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstaylor58 View Post
My two cents, try an FS800 series…the FS is slightly smaller, more comfortable to play (to me anyway), and still sounds deep and rich. I think the FS is a better comparison to the Jr. and a darn fine guitar.
This (above) is what you need. It will sound so much better than a Dread Jr, and at a fraction of the price. It's a little bigger, but still very comfortable to sit on the couch and play.

Understand that I speak from experience. My FS800 was my "beater" that I would leave in my office at work. But now I'm retired and it's really surprising how little my expensive guitars get played now that the FS800 is home with me!
Old 06-29-2022, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

The D Jr is a very good guitar in its category (smaller scale or “travel” guitars), but I wouldn’t recommend one to someone as their only guitar except under particular circumstances. Certainly, for someone who is 6’3” there are better choices. That said, while I’m a fan on Yamaha guitars and just sold one that I bought in 1993, I think it would be worth looking at alternatives to the Yamahas because of their 1-11/16” nut width. A guitar with a 1-3/4” nut width may be easier to play, especially for a 6’3” beginner. I would look at a Seagull S6 or an entry-level guitar from Alvarez or Ibanez as a possible alternative.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Just get a used Eastman and be done with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion