The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Default GigEasy vs IKlip vs Konig&Meyer for on stage iPad holder?

Any comments are welcome. Of these three two are about $80 and the iKlip is half that. I use a Behringer monitor on the mic stand so the iPad will clamp below that and off to the side abit.

It seems the iKlip has limited 'side reach' and angle and the GigEasy screw on clamp looks bit cheesy (the iKlip clamp looks strong and I'm not moving it ever). K&M clamps look similar to iKlip but seem to have added side articulation (if not added overall reach) away from the clamp.

Michael
www.ygrr.org [Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue]
http://tinyurl.com/Michael-music [...the ongoing effort]
www.facebook.com/acousticdrivemusic [A small working band]
Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus49 View Post
Any comments are welcome. Of these three two are about $80 and the iKlip is half that. I use a Behringer monitor on the mic stand so the iPad will clamp below that and off to the side abit.

It seems the iKlip has limited 'side reach' and angle and the GigEasy screw on clamp looks bit cheesy (the iKlip clamp looks strong and I'm not moving it ever). K&M clamps look similar to iKlip but seem to have added side articulation (if not added overall reach) away from the clamp.
Hi Cygnus...

I use a small music stand which clips to the mic stand.

The limit with the two you listed are the lack of adjustability... and the iPad has to be 'naked' (not in a case) to fit the holders. My iPad is in a serious shock case, and it's not coming out to be clipped into a holder.

And, if someone hands you a sheet of paper, you cannot set it on the specific holders...

The little music stand I use fits any sized tablet of any model, every model of iPad, even in a heavy shock case, and if/when I'm handed a chart as paper, I can set it on the stand.

I'm sure someone out there must build a generic clip which will adjust fit any tablet, in or out of it's case.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM

Here's the one I've got. I love it. Just screws right on to a regular mic stand. Great quality, and a great company!

http://www.criskenna.com/
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Hi C...

I meant to put in a picture of my mini-clip stand. Oh, and it's $20

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi C...

I meant to put in a picture of my mini-clip stand. Oh, and it's $20

We seem to have two related threads on iPads so I caught the other. Thanks for your insights there as well. It seems - again from your hard won experience - this is a good approach. The 'reach pole' should give the range I need to clear the mic stand mounted monitor - at least until the laws of physics take over.

This isn't commercially available though? Or did I miss something here?

Michael
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus49 View Post
We seem to have two related threads on iPads so I caught the other. Thanks for your insights there as well. It seems - again from your hard won experience - this is a good approach. The 'reach pole' should give the range I need to clear the mic stand mounted monitor - at least until the laws of physics take over.

This isn't commercially available though? Or did I miss something here?
Hi Cygnus...

Oh yes, it is available. I see it's gone up $4 since I bought mine a couple years back. This is a heavy little beast, but I've never had issues with them tipping stands, though I'm careful to extend it over a leg of the stand.

Quick Lok stand - CLiCK

Raxxess makes one as well…I've never seen it in person.

Raxxess stand - CLiCK

The Quick Lok is reversible (I have rigged one to extend left and another extends right) with a screwdriver and 5 minutes time.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 PM

I have the iKlip. I give it 3.5/5 stars. The main issue with it is that you have to unscrew a screw to change the orientation from landscape to portrait (or vice versa). This is not exactly handy if there's no screwdriver around. Also, the iKlip won't accommodate any kind of a case, so if you have your iPad in a case, you have to take it out.

In reading the reviews, it looks like the music stand style applications get negative reviews for not working with standard size microphone stands. People say the clip on works with skinny microphone stands.

Larry, could you confirm or deny this? As an iKlip user, I might convert to the music stand style holder myself. Seems like a real user-friendly option.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM

Default Trying the Talent iMS-1

Following on LJG's thinking I liked the look (and price via Parts Express) of the Talent iMS-1. I will let you know when I try it out but it has C-clamp (sturdy) and extension tube (seems long enough to extend beyond the stand mounted monitor) and articulated in enough various angles to suit - looks like it will work for my needs. I don't worry about knocking the iPad out of the clips and don't get music sheets handed to me when I play so we shall see.

Also I DLd Aron Nelson's UnReal and in comparison to OnSong they are close but it seems the same pdf files center and zoom (and stay that way better).

Michael
Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM

Plus 1 for the music stand add-on. I bought one based on ljguitar's recommendation, and I love it. I bought the large stand, about 9x18 (Stagg M2 or something like that). It will hold both the ipad and sheet music if necessary. The large one costs about $30.

It's very nice for practice. I was developing back trouble from playing seated in a bent over position to read tab or music. Now I can swing the stand closerer to eye level and sit up while I practice. Invaluable for saving my back!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM

Talent iMS came today. No complaints. There is a limit to the tube diameter it can handle but the clamp seems sturdy. I am reluctant to overtighten so I'm waiting to see if there is a gravity FX. Otherwise lots of rotation to get the proper viewing angle with my stand-mounted monitor obstructions. If I need an extension tube longer than the ~12"piece it comes with it looks like I should be able to cobble something there but it doesn't appear to be an issue.

For about $30 shipped from Parts Express (apparently the only US dealer) seems ideal - minus the page holding capability as mentioned earlier that I don't need.

Michael
Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 AM

Just started using Set List Maker with my iPad and really like it, so I have to think of the best way to hold/view my iPad. And I want to be able to keep it in the case I always have it in, so from what I've seen, I don't think any of the iPad corner-gripper "holders" will work with it; I'll have to use one of the small music-stand-type gizmos that attach right onto my mic stand (I don't want a separate stand for the iPad). Which should all work fine; it just won't have that cool custom corner-gripper look that some of these out-of-case holders have. Am I right that there are no corner-grip-type holders that will work with an iPad 2 in its case?

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
...Am I right that there are no corner-grip-type holders that will work with an iPad 2 in its case?
Hi sl...

You are right. The point is to be able to carry thousands of charts, not to look cool.

I truly hope when we are gigging that the center of attention of the audience is NOT the iPad?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM

Default iPad with case vs corner grippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
...I'll have to use one of the small music-stand-type gizmos that attach right onto my mic stand (I don't want a separate stand for the iPad). Which should all work fine; it just won't have that cool custom corner-gripper look that some of these out-of-case holders have. Am I right that there are no corner-grip-type holders that will work with an iPad 2 in its case?
Hi Sean - I just have the magnetic top cover which still fits while the iPad is on the Talent clamp. Reduces battery drain while in use but the magnetic spine comes away easily when I want to use it. I throw the iPad (carefully) into a small unpadded zip bag which slides inside a slighter larger case - both of which I found around the house. The larger outer case makes it a bit more shock proof for transport and lets me slide things like the charger in without contact with the iPad.

To date still love both UnReal Book and the Talent clamp which extends just enough under the on-stand monitor and has infinite degrees of swivel and positioning.

Haven't used paper in a while but still working on the best way to sync the two iPads we use. Likely not going with a slave/master since I worry something could go wrong in performance but its easy enough to download set lists and pdfs fro Dropbox.

Michael

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write