The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-26-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Call him up. He may have worked with a tech in your area already, or can talk you through it, or work with any tech of your choice. Just don't have a tech who thinks he'll use tape or glue that is not what Teddy says. I know a top shop who won't use the epoxy, so customers don't get full value with their pickups.

Ok thanks! Will do.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:23 AM

I had to play out last night and I didn’t have time to order any new pickup. I had two used LR Baggs Lyrics that we’re pulled from other guitars. One had a unusually good capsule. I installed it in the new guitar along the treble side of the bridge plate next to the X brace. It sounds terrific. I remember the other Lyric sounding poor.

Here’s my unscientific hypothesis:

I think it’s a Lyric mic capsule lottery. My guess is that they hand pick the capsules that go into the professional demo guitars. If you get a good one, you’re in luck. If you get an average one, it’s honk city and no bass. Otherwise the treble side position seems to be the best for this D-28.

Since it sounds good, I will leave well enough alone until something with the Lyric changes for the worse.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I already consulted two of my AGF buddies privately, so I will put the question to all of you. After selling most of my guitars in 2020 to pay legal bills, my wife treated me to an early Christmas present: a custom Martin D-28 from Reno's! It's the same build as my D-28 Marquis, but with the MLO neck. Huzzah.

You all know I like K&K and have been using them successfully with the SunnAudio preamp and the ToneDexter.

So, what are the new flavors of pickup delight in 2021? Extra credit for sound board transducers or anything lightweight without an under saddle.

Happy Thanksgiving AGF!
Trance Audio Amulet M Phantom for active with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy-mounted Amulets.

Dazzo #70 Set for passive with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy-mounted transducers.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-28-2021, 10:39 AM

Years ago I put a Schertler Bluestick in my Yairi.

I know you don't want to go UTS, but, to this day, it remains the best sounding acoustic pickup I've ever used...
Old 11-28-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Trance Audio Amulet M Phantom for active with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy-mounted Amulets.

Dazzo #70 Set for passive with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy-mounted transducers.

Wow, you’re mounting the amulets with epoxy? Do tell!?
Old 11-28-2021, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow, you’re mounting the amulets with epoxy? Do tell!?
Hi Dave, simply put, usage of the Trance permanent tape has left me wanting something more in the amplified! It's great for strong mounting and relocation purposes but doesn't let the full tonal potential of the Amulets be heard. I've recently mounted the Trance Amulet M Phantom system in my Larrivee C-03 TE Tommy Emmanuel using Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy (this is what Teddy of Dazzo recommends for installing his Dazzos) and I hear the best results of any Trance system I've ever installed. Next weekend, I'll make some sound files, and hopefully what I hear as better tonal results with the epoxy mounting will also be heard by others through the direct-to-computer sound files. Using the Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy was a risk on my part as Gary Hull of Trance Audio has recommended against using anything other than the permanent tape. Who knows, when I hear the recordings, they may reveal something undesirable in the tone, as opposed to what I'm hearing through the PA, and I'll feel silly and publicly embarrassed for using the epoxy!

My original installation thread for the Trance Amulet M Phantom and Larrivee C-03 TE Tommy Emmanuel combination.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-30-2021 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Dave, simply put, I believe that the Trance permanent tape BLOWS! It's great for strong mounting and relocation purposes but doesn't let the full tonal potential of the Amulets be heard. I've recently mounted the Trance Amulet M Phantom system in my Larrivee C-03 TE Tommy Emmanuel using Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy (this is what Teddy of Dazzo recommends for installing his Dazzos) and I hear the best results of any Trance system I've ever installed. Next weekend, I'll make some sound files, and hopefully what I hear as better tonal results with the epoxy mounting will also be heard by others through the direct-to-computer sound files. Using the Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy was a risk on my part as Gary Hull of Trance Audio has recommended against using anything other than the permanent tape. Who knows, when I hear the recordings, they may reveal something undesirable in the tone, as opposed to what I'm hearing through the PA, and I'll feel silly and publicly embarrassed for using the epoxy!

My original installation thread for the Trance Amulet M Phantom and Larrivee C-03 TE Tommy Emmanuel combination.

Very interesting. I’m eagerly awaiting your results. Hopefully it won’t be the same as the HFN glue experiment. Sounded ok through the PA with the highs rolled off. But it didn’t work direct. But I guess it only matters if you record direct - I don’t. I used a mic for recording or casting.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I had to play out last night and I didn’t have time to order any new pickup. I had two used LR Baggs Lyrics that we’re pulled from other guitars. One had a unusually good capsule. I installed it in the new guitar along the treble side of the bridge plate next to the X brace. It sounds terrific. I remember the other Lyric sounding poor.

Here’s my unscientific hypothesis:

I think it’s a Lyric mic capsule lottery. My guess is that they hand pick the capsules that go into the professional demo guitars. If you get a good one, you’re in luck. If you get an average one, it’s honk city and no bass. Otherwise the treble side position seems to be the best for this D-28.

Since it sounds good, I will leave well enough alone until something with the Lyric changes for the worse.
Could be, but I think it has more to do with placement. There was a guy over at the Lr Baggs forum who tried the Lyric in the three positions that are recommended for the tru-mic in the Anthem. One is in front of the bridge pin, another behind and then one along the X brace. His findings were similar to yours. He loved the X bracing installation the best as it removed the honk.

I had a Lyric for a bit and it was probably my favourite pickup to play. I no longer felt like I was playing a pickup. It just had the response and feel of my guitar. It lacked bass, which is why I removed it. Oddly enough, I don't like the Anthem. There's something about the Element and tru-mic that just comes across and mid range heavy or hollow sounding.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Could be, but I think it has more to do with placement. There was a guy over at the Lr Baggs forum who tried the Lyric in the three positions that are recommended for the tru-mic in the Anthem. One is in front of the bridge pin, another behind and then one along the X brace. His findings were similar to yours. He loved the X bracing installation the best as it removed the honk.

I had a Lyric for a bit and it was probably my favourite pickup to play. I no longer felt like I was playing a pickup. It just had the response and feel of my guitar. It lacked bass, which is why I removed it. Oddly enough, I don't like the Anthem. There's something about the Element and tru-mic that just comes across and mid range heavy or hollow sounding.

Indeed. That’s the reference I used on the Baggs forum to choose the location.

In this article you’ll see the source of the information about the selection of the capsules for the Lyric.

https://acousticguitar.com/l-r-baggs-lyric-review/
Old 11-28-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Indeed. That’s the reference I used on the Baggs forum to choose the location.

In this article you’ll see the source of the information about the selection of the capsules for the Lyric.

https://acousticguitar.com/l-r-baggs-lyric-review/
I do sometimes think about trying to make my own Anthem, but with the Lyric aas the primary pickup. It just sounds so much better than the tru-mic. I know Doug Young tried the Lyric/K&K and had mixed results.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I do sometimes think about trying to make my own Anthem, but with the Lyric aas the primary pickup. It just sounds so much better than the tru-mic. I know Doug Young tried the Lyric/K&K and had mixed results.

The problem with this stuff is that even with a blender you need a crossover and have to decide where to put it. There will always be weirdness in the sound associated with any crossover in any system. It makes me head hurt going in circles with with. :-)
Old 11-29-2021, 08:59 PM

Depends on your playing style. Mostly a strummer or finger picker? If a finger picker, want to keep it simple, and own a good pre, you might want to consider the Barbera Soloist. Yes, you need a 1/8” bridge saddle slot, but its passive and covers lots of musical ground with excellent tone and articulation.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
I'm of the Aura VT camp

You can't get a better plugged in tone.
I LOVE my Aura-equipped Martin, but it sounds great because it came with a factory-installed Aura system loaded with images of that specific guitar.

The same Aura technology doesn't work nearly as well when you're trying to find an Aura image that suits your guitar, but wasn't actually made for your exact guitar model and pickup combination. I found this out the hard way when I bought an Aura DI to try and get the same magic from my other acoustics and never came close.
Seagull Artist Concert Hall
Alvarez MSD1
Old 12-01-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
Depends on your playing style. Mostly a strummer or finger picker? If a finger picker, want to keep it simple, and own a good pre, you might want to consider the Barbera Soloist. Yes, you need a 1/8” bridge saddle slot, but its passive and covers lots of musical ground with excellent tone and articulation.
I do a bit of both. Mostly fingers for folk, but flat pick for bluegrass. That's a good suggestion.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeyer7 View Post
I LOVE my Aura-equipped Martin, but it sounds great because it came with a factory-installed Aura system loaded with images of that specific guitar.

The same Aura technology doesn't work nearly as well when you're trying to find an Aura image that suits your guitar, but wasn't actually made for your exact guitar model and pickup combination. I found this out the hard way when I bought an Aura DI to try and get the same magic from my other acoustics and never came close.
I agree for sure. The best pickup I ever had was the Aura Plus in my HD28E Retro. That was a guitar I should have kept.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification