The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Done working with my hands

Worked in the yard yesterday pulling weeds etc, pulled window motor out of a car the day before. Now my old hands hurt too much to practice today. I’m thinking at my age its time to save my hands for fun not work.

Last edited by Merak; 06-08-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Cuz
Old 06-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Musical minimalist

Time to find an ambitious neighbor kid (if there are any left!) to do the manual labor!

Old 06-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi Merak,
I resemble that remark. I try to practice prior to yard work, and I would prefer not to run a chainsaw or a trimmer on any day I’ve got a gig.

My hands get cramps. Never did before. I take magnesium supplements and make sure that I’ve got plenty of calcium and potassium in my diet.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-08-2019, 06:15 PM

A few years ago I was of the same opinion but realized I was asking myself to lose my hands, not save them by doing that. So, I worked them harder and can say I was right. When heavy work is not a routine it will seemingly bring the pain of conviction that heavy work should be curtailed. Not so. Bring that heavy work as a routine because as we age our toning begins to atrophy and keeping fit requires much more work than when we were younger and more resilient. Every morning I wake up by wielding two 15 pound dumbbells in a manner that keeps most of my upper body toned, including my hands, for 15 minutes. Been doing that since 2003. I'm not interested in putting on muscle. I just want to keep what I've got.

Last Saturday I brought down a large palm tree growing too near my house. I dug around it with pick, shovel and hatchet to sever the roots. Then I used a pressure cleaner to jet away the sticky soil causing a suction around the root ball. I lassoed the top of the tree with a heavy rope and with a steady pull the tree came down pulling the root ball out of the ground, as planned. None of that was easy work but because I was toned I didn't suffer a bit from it. Sunday, the next day, I hand trenched the ground in the front of my house to lay in a French drain. Twenty-five feet long, 15 inches to 20 inches deep; no problem. I'm 64. That night I played for a couple hours without any soreness in my hands.

Use it or lose it.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Merak,
I resemble that remark. I try to practice prior to yard work, and I would prefer not to run a chainsaw or a trimmer on any day I’ve got a gig.

My hands get cramps. Never did before. I take magnesium supplements and make sure that I’ve got plenty of calcium and potassium in my diet.

Interesting. I told my wife today. I know it’s wimpy, but I will never run a chain saw or similar. I’m a guitarist and drummer. Both mean more to me than hiring someone.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:06 PM

I've treated hundreds of wrist/elbow/shoulder issues from just pulling weeds. People aren't very smart. They get so involved in defying nature, the next day, can't straighten elbow, or elevate the shoulder. Invest in a gallon of vinegar, douse the weeds, and return the next day, to pull them without much force at all.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
A few years ago I was of the same opinion but realized I was asking myself to lose my hands, not save them by doing that. So, I worked them harder and can say I was right....

Use it or lose it.
Didn't you smash the bejabors out of your thumb/hand while pulling a car part after this decision to "use it or lose it"? Maybe it was someone else.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
A few years ago I was of the same opinion but realized I was asking myself to lose my hands, not save them by doing that. So, I worked them harder and can say I was right. When heavy work is not a routine it will seemingly bring the pain of conviction that heavy work should be curtailed. Not so. Bring that heavy work as a routine because as we age our toning begins to atrophy and keeping fit requires much more work than when we were younger and more resilient. Every morning I wake up by wielding two 15 pound dumbbells in a manner that keeps most of my upper body toned, including my hands, for 15 minutes. Been doing that since 2003. I'm not interested in putting on muscle. I just want to keep what I've got.

Last Saturday I brought down a large palm tree growing too near my house. I dug around it with pick, shovel and hatchet to sever the roots. Then I used a pressure cleaner to jet away the sticky soil causing a suction around the root ball. I lassoed the top of the tree with a heavy rope and with a steady pull the tree came down pulling the root ball out of the ground, as planned. None of that was easy work but because I was toned I didn't suffer a bit from it. Sunday, the next day, I hand trenched the ground in the front of my house to lay in a French drain. Twenty-five feet long, 15 inches to 20 inches deep; no problem. I'm 64. That night I played for a couple hours without any soreness in my hands.

Use it or lose it.
Unless some real physical issue takes place , we all become sedentary by choice .
Old 06-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
Interesting. I told my wife today. I know it’s wimpy, but I will never run a chain saw or similar. I’m a guitarist and drummer. Both mean more to me than hiring someone.
Doesn’t sound wimpy to me. Sounds smart!

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-10-2019, 04:52 AM

I'm from the "use it" or "lose it" school.

I use chain saws, weed eaters, hammers, wrenches, and everything else. However, I do have back issues from time to time, then they go away !

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-13-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Use it or lose it.
I find this to be very true and have used this method to regain mobility that I was finding that I was losing.

At first it is hard and painful but the more you work through it your results will come.

I started slow and increased the process in small increments

I also started to sleep with those copper fit gloves on at night and that helped ALOT
Old 06-13-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I'm from the "use it" or "lose it" school.

I use chain saws, weed eaters, hammers, wrenches, and everything else. However, I do have back issues from time to time, then they go away !
Yup, I'm right there with you. The pain doesn't last long. I give my hands a break when they really need, just let them recover. Lately though I'm spending lots of hours in my studio casting silver, making bobbles for tourists. My hands and eyes hurt.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 PM

Check out the cover of Jeff Beck’s “You had it Coming”.
Apparently he does a lot of his own work on those hot-rods.
Be careful of course, but our hands are multi-use tools.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:57 PM

As I see retirement coming closer and closer, I've finally started doing what I should have been doing years ago.

I've quit drinking, I have started simple exercises, I'm eating better (well, I'm giving it serious consideration...) and I'm off blood pressure meds.

I don't use any dangerous machinery only because I don't have any. I'm deathly afraid of seriously injuring my hands but also feel the same way about my eyes.

I want to enjoy my retirement for a very long time so I'm trying to take better care of myself.

Best,
PJ
Old 06-20-2019, 08:00 AM

A few years ago, I was getting ready to do the brakes on my wife's Suburban. I was jacking up the car when the jack slipped, and the jack shot out 3-4 feet from under the car, and the car fell and the tire (which was still on...thank God) landed about 2 inches from my leg.

I'll never do brakes again. That could have ended much worse if the same thing happened about 20 minutes later. I use jack stands, but still.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic