The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-29-2020, 01:30 PM

@YamahaGuy

It's an LLX36c I imported it myself it has the Jap only 3 way System60 pickup in it.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I love my QSC CP-8 for a powered speaker, the sound is excellent.

And I'm comparing it to my Schertler Jam 400 which most folks who've demo-ed it agree it's one of (if not THE) the best PAs out there, very versatile but on the heavy side which is one reason it sounds so good. Very high quality components, mic preamps, etc.

I bought the CP-8 and a Fishman (analog) ToneDEQ so I don't have to haul the Jam 400 to gigs where I just plug in myself and save hauling the Schertler for duo and trio gigs.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post
@YamahaGuy

It's an LLX36c I imported it myself it has the Jap only 3 way System60 pickup in it.
What is "the Jap only 3 way System60 pickup"?
Old 03-29-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
@YamahaGuy

Wow. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. Fantastic guitar. Impossible to find in the states.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I've noticed the Yamaha StagePas 1000 doesn't have phantom power. This isn't good for condenser-mic users or guitars and pedals that can be powered with phantom power.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-29-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
What is "the Jap only 3 way System60 pickup"?
Around 2009, Yamaha LLX, LJX, and LSX models had a transducer pickup system called ART, which is comprised of disks similar to K&K, that are on specially layered fabric designed to sound natural. The 6 and 16 models made in China had 4 pickups and a large barn door preamp. The 26 and 36 models, made in Japan, have a master volume knob on the upper bout near the Taylor controls, and 3 buttons, a main which controls the two primary pickups, a sub and a treble knob which blend in more of each of the two additional pickups. All the knobs are push push recessed knobs. I own an LLX6A which sounds spectacular plugged in.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Let me expand the possibilities for the OP by bringing the Electro-Voice Evolve 30M Column Loudspeaker System to his attention. I'd likely go for this over the Yamaha StagePas 1000.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-29-2020, 02:49 PM

Hi,

I just went through the same exercise. From all I can tell from the responses I got, the HK 608, the Evolve 30 and the Stagepas 1k are the three to look at for "best sound". For me, weight is an issue, so I'll be going with the Bose L1C which seems to be a great option though clearly not the "best" sounding if one removes the weight restriction.
2022 Taylor AD17e Blacktop
2016 Yamaha FG820 Autumn Burst
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 03-29-2020, 02:50 PM

But if weight and cost don't come into it guy's... what about these, starting to get pretty serious here, modern Class D studio monitor and sub:

Dynaudio Core 59:
https://www.dynaudio.com/professiona...o/core/core-59

Dynaudio Core Sub:
https://www.dynaudio.com/professiona...re-sub#gallery
Old 03-29-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I would like to use a mixer and run multiple instruments through it including a bass !! I have friends over for jam sessions etc.. and if I am to go out an use it for a gig again don't want to be lacking in any frequency range so anyone can plug in any instrument and sound great :-)
If you are going to get a mixer and get one with enough outputs, you can run a sub with any set of speakers. Just Google "subs on aux".
Old 03-29-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee32 View Post
Hi,

I just went through the same exercise. From all I can tell from the responses I got, the HK 608, the Evolve 30 and the Stagepas 1k are the three to look at for "best sound". For me, weight is an issue, so I'll be going with the Bose L1C which seems to be a great option though clearly not the "best" sounding if one removes the weight restriction.
I've owned the Bose L1C and I think it's a nice lightweight option and the sound is decent, too. Now, you're back to a similar sound dispersion and bass-frequency reproduction as the more professionally-oriented LR Baggs Synapse that has multi-band EQ, nice reverb, phantom power, more horsepower, and whatever else I missed mentioning. It also weighs half-again as much as the Bose L1C.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-29-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But if weight and cost don't come into it guy's... what about these, starting to get pretty serious here, modern Class D studio monitor and sub:

Dynaudio Core 59:
https://www.dynaudio.com/professiona...o/core/core-59

Dynaudio Core Sub:
https://www.dynaudio.com/professiona...re-sub#gallery
These are recording-studio monitors and likely wouldn't last too long on the road as they're meant to stay in one place and are used to listen to and mix recorded audio and to hear the live sound in progress during the actual recording process in the studio.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-29-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:50 PM

I recently switched from a Bose L1C to the new EV 30M and I am absolutely loving it. Although my gigs have been canceled due to the Coronavirus, I was able to use the 30M on several indoor gigs as well as an outdoor gig and I was very impressed with the sound. The base is full and crisp, the mids are there, and the highs don't sound brittle.

Some others have mentioned that they do not care for the on-board effects. That may be true. I do not use the on-board effects because I already have some external effects that I like very much.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Guy's,

I have walked into a mine field... I have a nice Condenser Mike (TLM-107 Neumann).. and I have a really nice handmade Yamaha with a Japan only 3 way Syetem60 pickup in it.,... I'm planning on getting a decent mixer also.

I have been looking into trying to find the best and most natural sounding (for singing etc) PA system... I have heard the LR Baggs Synapse has not got good low end unfortunately anyone any experience with this ?

Many people are complaining about Bose not sure why... ??

Do I need an Anolog amp to sound natural not dry etc...??

I have been looking at the Yamaha Stagepas 1k anyone any experience with this, I have alway's really liked Yamaha.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated :-)
Jay
Well as always best is totally subjective and you're getting answers all over the spectrum of possibilities that reflect that.

If I were looking for a new PA I would not dismiss the Baggs Synapse because of Bass. Given even most human bass singers seldom sing below a fundamental of 73 hz and on a standard tuned guitar the low E fundamental is 83 hz so 65 is below that range . The only thing a subwoofer will add is from the crossover frequency down to these fundamentals. Which will indeed increase the overall low end in that range. And there is no doubt some musicians like it BUT the question is, does it sound natural to you ? For me I would not probably not use a sub with the Synapse, Bose, or any other PA

The Bose ??? Yes it puts out a lot of sound , a lot of midrange sound (where most of sound the vocal and guitar reside) It disperses quite well and it has many followers who love it
Personally I find it be less detailed and balanced than some other options.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-29-2020, 04:23 PM

@sprucetop

They are designed for use on the road and (unlike the Synapse) can be setup for use with a "Core Sub" Woofer using a high pass filter and also can be configured as left and right (& Sub) for daisy chaining them all together for stereo or even home theater usage if desired...

The Core 59 is 1150 Watts of Class D power that is a beast, two of those and a sub would do any gig of any size and are designed to be taken on the road and used for just that according to the manufacturer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification