The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-29-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
No, Jon forgot that you can use a VST/AU plugin to try.

You need a pedal to gig with your IR. At home you can try with a computer. (see my previous post)
I was thinking gig only...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-29-2020, 01:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you both!!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 07-30-2020, 09:32 AM

Maybe a bit off topic but does anyone notice that with IR’s engaged, feedback becomes more of an issue?
Old 07-30-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Maybe a bit off topic but does anyone notice that with IR’s engaged, feedback becomes more of an issue?
Hi Petty,

Most of the IR we make try to rebuild the main mode resonance. That's why there is a huge peak around 100-200Hz. This will of course induce feedback.

There are two tools against that:
* High-pass filter
* Parametric EQ

- Tonedexter handles that automatically and "I guess" cut some of the high-end ton insure tonal balance (and get rid of digital ringings).

- Soundscape will, most likely, set the frequencies of the PEQ and let you cut to taste.

Jon and I have always let the user tune the low end to his taste by displaying the IR spectrum with the main mode frequency pinpoint (sometimes... it does not work perfectly and you have to read the spectrum). Once you have that frequency, it is up to you.

The free app has a feedback friendly save that will cut 6dB at that particular frequency and EQ the high end accordingly to maintain the overall tonal balance.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 07-31-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Petty,

Most of the IR we make try to rebuild the main mode resonance. That's why there is a huge peak around 100-200Hz. This will of course induce feedback.

There are two tools against that:
* High-pass filter
* Parametric EQ

- Tonedexter handles that automatically and "I guess" cut some of the high-end ton insure tonal balance (and get rid of digital ringings).

- Soundscape will, most likely, set the frequencies of the PEQ and let you cut to taste.

Jon and I have always let the user tune the low end to his taste by displaying the IR spectrum with the main mode frequency pinpoint (sometimes... it does not work perfectly and you have to read the spectrum). Once you have that frequency, it is up to you.

The free app has a feedback friendly save that will cut 6dB at that particular frequency and EQ the high end accordingly to maintain the overall tonal balance.
That’s great, thanks for the information! I actually notice the feedback a bit even with the Tonedexter. It’s not bad by any means, I just find that once I engage the wavemap, I can’t get as loud as the raw pickup can in my monitors without feeding back. I am obviously not playing out right now so I might set my pa up at home and see how the tonedexter handles it. It’s one thing to test it through a monitor at a respectable volume, it’s another thing to crank it up through a full pa at gig levels.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
That’s great, thanks for the information! I actually notice the feedback a bit even with the Tonedexter. It’s not bad by any means, I just find that once I engage the wavemap, I can’t get as loud as the raw pickup can in my monitors without feeding back. I am obviously not playing out right now so I might set my pa up at home and see how the tonedexter handles it. It’s one thing to test it through a monitor at a respectable volume, it’s another thing to crank it up through a full pa at gig levels.
Do you normally already use a soundhole plug?
Old 07-31-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Do you normally already use a soundhole plug?
Oddly enough, I have never had to use one and I have used a variety of pickups (Lyric, Amulet, Anthem, K&K, HFN etc). It’s an option for sure but I always find that with one installed, I don’t get the same playing experience. It’s the same idea with my Godin A8 Mandolin. I love it but I am selling it for a true acoustic mandolin as I miss the resonance, even when plugged in.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Oddly enough, I have never had to use one and I have used a variety of pickups (Lyric, Amulet, Anthem, K&K, HFN etc). It’s an option for sure but I always find that with one installed, I don’t get the same playing experience. It’s the same idea with my Godin A8 Mandolin. I love it but I am selling it for a true acoustic mandolin as I miss the resonance, even when plugged in.
If you have one already I'd spend some time getting used to it. It would be a compromise for you if you're sensitive to it but I must say it hasn't bothered me and the benefits are significant, particularly if the K&K becomes a realistic proposition.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
One thing I noticed about EAE stompmix 4 is that you can have two separate mix on the stereo mains and headphones out. So if you use in-ears you can have a full-low end in the in-ear and cut for feedback/ better tone on the speakers.

Recently I found that if I needed low-end in a song it would be Likely to be the kick-bass of a backing track. In this case, the low end from the guitar can be removed. If I play without backing tracks, and need a full sound... it would be most likely a « quiet » song in which the vocals and melodies are more important than The low-end depth... I would probably still cut the low-end guitar, and sing closer to the mic and get some proximity effect.

To resume, guitar low end is either mud or kick. Kick can be handled differently especially with pre-recorded drums and bass. Mud must be cut anyway.

My 2 cents
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 08-01-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Cuki, I've got a Takamine EF360S-TT Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar on order that I'll mess with when I get it later this week. According to James May, my ToneDexter should really rock the Palathetic Pickup/TLD-2 Preamp output, which is a buffered and amplified combination UST/SBT signal. More to come ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-01-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Cuki, I've got a Takamine EF360S-TT Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar on order that I'll mess with when I get it later this week. According to James May, my ToneDexter should really rock the Palathetic Pickup/TLD-2 Preamp output, which is a buffered and amplified combination UST/SBT signal. More to come ...
Hi Ken,

Please give us your feedback. The Palathetic is for sure a good candidate for IRs as all UST pickups.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 08-08-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

I got my Takamine EF360S TT and let me say that the TLD-2 Line Driver has a HOT OUTPUT and it sounds pretty good as is. I'll mess around with my ToneDexter, Fishman Aura Spectrum DI, Steel Guitar Black Box, and LR Baggs Session DI to see what I can come up with for any improved tonal enhancement. See my initial review of the Takamine EF360S TT/TLD-2 here. More to come ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-09-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:46 PM

Hi I'm totally new to this IR thing and using Presonus Studio One to load the IR that I generated with Cuki's program. What are the settings I should take note of when I use the IR plugin here?

https://ibb.co/8sD54Q7

Is this a good sound to go for?

https://clyp.it/ftn10b44

Seems to have some nasal frequencies that I can't find yet!

Last edited by necrome; 10-02-2020 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Hi I'm totally new to this IR thing and using Presonus Studio One to load the IR that I generated with Cuki's program. What are the settings I should take note of when I use the IR plugin here?

I don't have good headphones now (office hours in France)

HEre is a link where they describe all the pots FX
https://s1manual.presonus.com/Conten...ics/Reverb.htm
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-02-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post

I tired with $2 earbuds... I think it works. You could reduce the length and adjust the ER/LR pot. Because the plugin seems to add a long tail.

Can you post the same with the IR off?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification