The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
A couple of years ago I was taking lessons from Peter Lang (yeah, of "Kottke, Fahey, Lang" notoriety and Grammy nomination fame). He mentioned that he had never busked, and inspired by Joshua Bell in New York, he went to downtown Minneapolis to give it a shot. He only made a few dollars, but it made his day when a fellow busker came over and commented "Man, times must be harder than I thought if a player as good as you has to take to the street...."
Lol, Great story
Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 AM

Busking is my summerproject 2019. I've been out 4 times so far. I have a hard time adjusting to hard strumming (from fingerpicking) and changing from chestvoice to headvoice (for projection) and finding the right songs.
You can make misstakes but the learning curve is nonexisting. It's just have to work.
Last time I had 7 new songs and now on friday (9 days later) I will have another 4 new songs. Songs I can do really loud without amplification is the target. Right now I feel like I'm chasing a bus.

My first goal was just to be able to do it, to take up the space without questioning myself, busking and other peoples opinion. that was easier than i thought. So now I'm focusing on learning to sing using my headvoice.

I'm 55...
Old 06-12-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
Busking is my summerproject 2019. I've been out 4 times so far. I have a hard time adjusting to hard strumming (from fingerpicking) and changing from chestvoice to headvoice (for projection) and finding the right songs.
You can make misstakes but the learning curve is nonexisting. It's just have to work.
Last time I had 7 new songs and now on friday (9 days later) I will have another 4 new songs. Songs I can do really loud without amplification is the target. Right now I feel like I'm chasing a bus.

My first goal was just to be able to do it, to take up the space without questioning myself, busking and other peoples opinion. that was easier than i thought. So now I'm focusing on learning to sing using my headvoice.

I'm 55...

So the head voice will carry better?
I've been working on that by capo'ing up the neck until I hit the top of my range on the same song.

If I wanted to amplify, I would have to buy a better battery amp anyway, I have one of those Mugig that looks like a Roland but I'm sure it's not as good.
Also, I like the idea of starting out playing out in the back yard....in a park and than Busk working my way up to it I'm 62
Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
So the head voice will carry better?
I've been working on that by capo'ing up the neck until I hit the top of my range on the same song.

If I wanted to amplify, I would have to buy a better battery amp anyway, I have one of those Mugig that looks like a Roland but I'm sure it's not as good.
Also, I like the idea of starting out playing out in the back yard....in a park and than Busk working my way up to it I'm 62
I bought a Mugig 'just in case' for busking. It'll work fine at low volumes (but be louder than not plugging in).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 AM

LeeW3: Just curious- what town are you in?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

We've been 'threatening' to busk to ourselves for a couple years now. One town where we see buskers quite a bit has a no-amplification rule. But we just found out that another town, directly adjacent to ours, also allows busking but with amplification and some set rules. So I think we're going to give it a go, maybe this weekend. It's really not much about the money for us but we always feel like we have to charge when we play venues so as not to ruin it for the players for whom playing IS their income. Busking for fun and change plus the ability to just show up and play (almost) anywhere we want for as little or as long as we want has a lot of appeal for us. We have the perfect gear for this type of gig as well - Bose S1 battery at 15 lbs, mic, carbon fiber guitar, BOOM - done. If we do it soon I'll post how it went.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:54 AM

yes, headvoice works better for me on the streets, don't know if it's universal. I know some people that have wonderful strong chestvoices.

I have 3 different battery amps, and when i discussed my project on the telecaster forum a majority told me to go amplified (people that actually had busked).

But I wanted to know the possibilities. Eg people said avoid traffic so the first time I choose a place with traffic just to know what they are talking about.
In the same spirit I wanted to explore what you can and can't do without amps. If I manage without it's such a more flexible solution, plus there is a different legislation.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
I have 3 different battery amps, and when i discussed my project on the telecaster forum a majority told me to go amplified (people that actually had busked).
I can understand why a majority of folks on the Tele forum advised going amplified. After all, it is a Tele forum.
I have played outside using a Traynor TVM10, small and light enough to carry around and the battery lasts forever. https://www.long-mcquade.com/79/Guit..._Wedge_Amp.htm
In our town, Port Hope, in front of the liquor store seems tobe the choice spot for buskers, but amps are not allowed except for events like sidewalk sales or the river race.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion