The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 09:53 AM

Default Bridge String spacing?

Good day, I am trying to step into a starter budget J45 type guitar. The two models in the running are the Farida Old Town 65X wide V.S. the AMI JM AG45 I want the 1 3/4 nut but NO one ever lists the string spacing?? If some one out there can help with the center to center string width at the bridge I would be smiling! Also if there is a thought about the two models listed, good, bad whatever, that would also be most welcome. Thank -you for your time. Pilgrim20
Old 08-11-2022, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Something that has annoyed me also, the bridge spacing is even more important to me than the nut.

If they list the 12th fret spacing that is usually fairly close to the bridge spacing so you can at least get an idea of what it is.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 08-11-2022, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I bet you that a phone call or email to Elderly will get you that info in the Farida in short order.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-11-2022, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

I can't speak for the J-45 version but my wife has the original Farida like the LG-2 wide version and it's 2 3/16" string spacing at the saddle. I'd give Elderly a quick call to confirm.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-11-2022, 11:43 AM

Yes, the fine folks at Elderly have checked and confirmed 2 1/4 inches. The AMI folks have not been as helpful? The answer I got from one for sale on Reverb was a whopping, 2 1/2 inches which I know is not correct?? So, If someone has the instrument in hand works best! Thanks,
Old 08-11-2022, 11:53 AM
Eric Skye

I agree they should also list the bridge spacing. Though when companies do list the bridge spacing, at least it's typically an exact number measuring from the first to the six string. I wish they would do the same thing with the nut. Saying the nut is "1 3/4" or "1 13/16 is useful for how the neck might feel for the left hand in the open position, but actual string spacing can vary lot within the stated width of the nut. I'd personally like to see exact numbers for the distance betwee the first and sixth strings at both ends or the scale length.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I agree they should also list the bridge spacing. Though when companies do list the bridge spacing, at least it's typically an exact number measuring from the first to the six string. I wish they would do the same thing with the nut. Saying the nut is "1 3/4" or "1 13/16 is useful for how the neck might feel for the left hand in the open position, but actual string spacing can vary lot within the stated width of the nut. I'd personally like to see exact numbers for the distance betwee the first and sixth strings at both ends or the scale length.
I agree, I like a 48mm nut with string spacing of 40mm and string spacing at the saddle of 60mm. Everything else is a compromise for me but most people aren't as fussy.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:14 AM

If by AMI, that’s the same as Sigma, Sigma on their 1 3/4” nuts are generally more generous at the bridge, so probably 2 1/4”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion