The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 AM

Default Yamaha APX1200 Action Reduction

Hi folks, I'm an electric player but have decided to focus more on acoustic for a new project.

I bought an APX1200 as its thin bodied with a nice neck profile and had good reviews. She sounds great but the action is way too high.

The guy who does my electric set ups confirms its a lot higher than he'd expect but when he's gone to reduce it, he says the way the bridge and pickup is constructed it can't be altered. Apparently the whole unit is glued together as one, and so the normal filing down of the bridge piece can't be done.

I can't believe a top of the range guitar costing over £1000 new doesn't have the means to adjust the action to suit the player.

Does anyone have experience of this and any advice?

Very frustrating, I'll need to sell it if it can't be reduced, which is really sad!

Bill
Old 07-13-2013, 07:43 AM

That seems odd. Does the saddle come out?

It's not a situation where the neck needs a reset is it? In most situations you can adjust the action by doing some nut and saddle work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair