The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-01-2020, 09:02 PM

No contrails.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I am not minimizing the horrors of this pandemic, nor trivializing the health issues and costs in lives, nor the financial collapse that is looming over many.

Surviving a bad situation sometimes is easier if we try to find something positive to focus on.

For me, there are a few positives to focus on:

We have three college kids. One lives at home and commutes locally, another dorms out of state and the other lives out of the country in an apartment to attend grad school. All the kids have come home and the whole family is together again. This is really nice.

We have a family game night probably twice a week with anywhere from 4 to 6 people playing games. We make a point to take a one-hour outdoor walk every other day and do a nature walk or sight seeing in things we take for granted around town. We try to do a 5K exercise run 2-3 times a week now.

I'm a huge advocate for flexibility in work and worked out of my home occasionally. My current company was staunchly old school and thought anyone working from home was lazy and stealing from the company. This little global catastrophe has forced them out of the 18th century and to embrace the modernity of the real world - we have almost two hundred employees working from home now.

This has slowed down the rabid consumption-ism that seems to consume us. We don't have to work-spend-buy-shop-run-work-buy-spend..........it's almost like being on vacation.
This is very much like my situation. I already had flexibility to work from home, but my wife not so much as her company was non-trusting just like yours. Now we both WFH and after upgrading the WiFi router its no problem at all. The work gets done. Surprise!

Both kids at home, one in college one in HS. They're not out every night with their friends or S/O's, family dinners every night, game nights, long walks daily with the dog, doing all sorts of close family things we haven't done since they were little. Both my wife and I are loving it. The kids are bored but figuring it out and coping. Zoom meetings for things like dance and music lessons, get togethers with other family and friends really helps a lot.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 04-02-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
No contrails.
Ain't that the truth, Phil. I didn't even notice the lack of contrails in the evening sky in my backyard.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I'm a huge advocate for flexibility in work and worked out of my home occasionally. My current company was staunchly old school and thought anyone working from home was lazy and stealing from the company. This little global catastrophe has forced them out of the 18th century and to embrace the modernity of the real world - we have almost two hundred employees working from home now.
I wonder if this will lead to more work from home opportunities after this passes. Reducing rent, commuting time and expense, and facilities costs could be a big help in reducing overhead for economic recovery.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-02-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
I wonder if this will lead to more work from home opportunities after this passes. Reducing rent, commuting time and expense, and facilities costs could be a big help in reducing overhead for economic recovery.
4/2
NYC

There might be some issues with health insurance and if you are asking a worker to work at home I don't know what tax issues might be involved or need to be sorted out. I think it would be a benefit economically, healthwise and environmentally.

This is the first time I have been able to open my window and not see alot of soot on the sills.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:31 PM

Default More critters are coming out...

In my yard this morning, a beautiful fox we've rarely seen. Stayed around for about 1/2 an hour and treated himself to a gopher. Good fox.

This is in a town with 100,000 people.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:16 PM

It's unlikely that I will be able to return to dental practice before May 1st, and maybe not even then. Being 66, it's given me a taste of what retirement might be like. I found myself automatically getting into a schedule. Waking up without the alarm clock, and then getting in a half hour of exercise. Then, getting dressed and going to the office to take care of emergencies and bookkeeping. Returning for lunch with my wife, and then going for a good forty five minute walk around the neighborhood. I make sure to shower, to shave and put on clean clothes because it just feels right

I have started doing yoga and find that even with the gentle version, I work up a sweat and am discovering muscles that have been forgotten for at least 40 years.

Naturally, I am on edge and having a tough time relaxing. We have been very strict in our habits because we don't want to catch this nasty bug.

My silver lining is essentially, I am very blessed and have no right to complain. I have my health, I have a wonderful family, I have food and I have enough money to survive.

And I still am not practicing enough guitar!

PS - I am loving a ton of online concerts - right now listening to Steve Poltz from the Acorn Theater in Michigan.

Last edited by srick; 04-02-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:36 AM

I had a couple of things that until recently were weighing on me heavily. They've disappeared in importance. No sleep lost. Not losing much sleep over the virus or the financial hit we're already taking, as there's nothing much I can do about it now except stay home.

I don't say this lightly nor as a "you need to value the things that are important" platitude. Just a fact. I'm not stressing about certain stuff anymore.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:28 PM

srick,

Similar situation here, except I do eyes rather than teeth. Was scheduled to retire end of May, but given the current situation and re-scheduling of all non-urgent appointments, which are the bulk of my normal day, I'm not sure I'll be going back to the hospital where I work even if things change in May. At 66+, I'm just not sure it's worth the risk. I am currently blessed with good health and no underlying health issues, but that is certainly no guarantee against this nasty bug.

As well, being home for the past few weeks has given me a tailor made preview of full time retirement, and not surprisingly, at least for me, I like it - like it a lot as a matter of fact. I have kept my typical bedtime/waking schedule, and settled into a nice routine which includes exercise, reading, playing my guitar, working on long neglected art, music, writing, and re-purposing projects, and just plain relaxing on my scrawny butt whenever I feel like it, a lost art to my way of thinking. I'm not sure I fully realized the amount of physical and mental stress I encountered on a day to day basis until I wasn't immersed in it, with vacations and days off only providing a brief respite but no real long term escape.

Not the way I necessarily envisioned going out, but my mom used to says things work out the way they do for a reason and I've come to believe that is true. I am truly blessed to have reached retirement age, a fact I certainly do not take for granted.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:20 PM

I now work from home so I don't really have any extra free time but one thing I've started doing is practicing my guitar during those conference calls that should have been emails. Got a good couple hours of playing in today.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Srick and Spock, since you are both medical professionals. What do you do in the case of emergency procedures to keep you and your staff safe?
Srick, especially for dental procedures. I would think that would be about as high a risk as anything, but a dental emergency is still an emergency.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I now work from home so I don't really have any extra free time but one thing I've started doing is practicing my guitar during those conference calls that should have been emails. Got a good couple hours of playing in today.
Are you providing a sound track to make the calls more available for those on the line, or using the microphone mute button?
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-04-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Are you providing a sound track to make the calls more available for those on the line, or using the microphone mute button?
It's funny you mention this. Yes I mute but I also play along as if I'm providing a sound track, just to amuse myself. I'll change the style of music to fit what's going on in the call.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
In my yard this morning, a beautiful fox we've rarely seen. Stayed around for about 1/2 an hour and treated himself to a gopher. Good fox.

This is in a town with 100,000 people.
Very cool!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic