The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Anyone using a zoom q2 HD??? (Questions)

I've got the opportunity to pick up a Q2 HD camera. I've never been happy with any cell phone video people have got from my gigs so I'm wondering if this may be a better solution. Specifically, if anyone is using one how good is it's ability to use multiple mics in reducing background noise (I'm a solo acoustic act, wineries etc). Can I go directly in?
I know I can't get all noise eliminated, in fact I want some, but if you could share any experiences I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 AM

I have a zoom Q2 HD.

First, the video quality is pretty bad.

The sound quality is OK, but it does not have the option of using multiple mics, just the one built in.

I find the mic very sensitive and to pickup a LOT of background noise. It handles loud volumes well though. I don't use mine anymore.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:23 PM

I have the Zoom Q2N camera and love it. Not sure if that's the one you are looking at.

It does exactly what I want it to do: record gigs with excellent sound reproduction and decent video. No, the video isn't stellar for sure, but it beats any smarthphone video grabs that I've managed of bands playing by a long shot. Plus, the sound recording abilities of smartphones are so abysmal I wouldn't consider them a viable option. The Zoom Q2n is light-years apart in terms of sound quality, and it offers nice pre-sets that will get you much better video than a smartphone because it automatically adjusts the lighting to a rehearsal garage or a dimly lit pub. You can choose various options, and they really work in producing a well-lit video.

Now, if you're looking for serious high-definition footage for polished promo videos, you may have to resort to an actual camera man with a professional rig, but if what you're looking for is footage of your gigs for demoing purposes and critiquing your own performance, it is an excellent choice. It's tiny and easily mounts on a tripod. The battery life is not great (~1.5 hrs), but as long as you plug it in using the supplied power adapter, you're good to go.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 10-24-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I have the Zoom Q2N camera and love it. Not sure if that's the one you are looking at.

It does exactly what I want it to do: record gigs with excellent sound reproduction and decent video. No, the video isn't stellar for sure, but it beats any smarthphone video grabs that I've managed of bands playing by a long shot. Plus, the sound recording abilities of smartphones are so abysmal I wouldn't consider them a viable option. The Zoom Q2n is light-years apart in terms of sound quality, and it offers nice pre-sets that will get you much better video than a smartphone because it automatically adjusts the lighting to a rehearsal garage or a dimly lit pub. You can choose various options, and they really work in producing a well-lit video.

Now, if you're looking for serious high-definition footage for polished promo videos, you may have to resort to an actual camera man with a professional rig, but if what you're looking for is footage of your gigs for demoing purposes and critiquing your own performance, it is an excellent choice. It's tiny and easily mounts on a tripod. The battery life is not great (~1.5 hrs), but as long as you plug it in using the supplied power adapter, you're good to go.
Yea the Q2HD and Q2N are different units. But that also reminds me, the Q2HD has no external power source, it's batteries only and you'd be lucky to get an hour out of it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion