The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-21-2018, 06:45 PM

Default When did MF start charging sales tax for online sales?

I had to order a couple guitar stands over the weekend. So I called up MF and got a very good price and that was cool. But when the rep read me the total it didn't jive with the amount. So I asked him how could $44 turn into $47? "Sales tax", he said. Whaaaa????? Since when. He said "all online companies are now charging sales tax. I don't think that's true. So I looked at their site and lo and behold they are charging sales tax for (only?) 18 states, including Illinois.

At least it wasn't the 10.25% that we get hammered with locally. I'm curious when they started with sales tax- and why?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-21-2018, 06:55 PM

I'm biting my tongue, you know, that *politics* thing
Old 10-21-2018, 06:59 PM

Didn't it start when Amazon did too? A new law.

Technically, you're always supposed to pay tax on everything including online sales. You are supposed to report in your tax return, but no one does.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-21-2018, 06:59 PM

Mandated by law, October 1,2018 in Minnesota.It was deemed unfair competition to brick and mortar stores. People who buy online are required to pay state sales tax on those non taxed purchases but we know approximately how many actually did that. Tax revenue for states was probably the biggest factor. Of course we all want to comply with the law and pay our fair share.

Last edited by jschmitz54; 10-22-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:02 PM

The Supreme Court ruled in 2018 that states could require that sales tax be charged on internet sales. Amazon started charging sales tax at least a year ago. You can expect that online retailers will be proactive charging sales tax.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 10-21-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I had to order a couple guitar stands over the weekend. So I called up MF and got a very good price and that was cool. But when the rep read me the total it didn't jive with the amount. So I asked him how could $44 turn into $47? "Sales tax", he said. Whaaaa????? Since when. He said "all online companies are now charging sales tax. I don't think that's true. So I looked at their site and lo and behold they are charging sales tax for (only?) 18 states, including Illinois.

At least it wasn't the 10.25% that we get hammered with locally. I'm curious when they started with sales tax- and why?
Sweetwater is also following the same state sales tax collection.

In a way it's a good thing, because each individual was previously responsible for reporting and filing sales tax, depending on state.

I also live in Illinois and have always kept track of internet purchases and reported and paid taxes as required. Not everyone does, and it's a calculated risk. One of my friends purchased a very expensive camera from New York and got hit with a fine plus interest 2 years after the purchase.

Buyers will most likely see a lot more of this in the future no matter where they live, and it does help to even the playing field for sellers within the state.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:00 PM

My understanding is that the tax is charged when you live in a state that has a state sales tax. Alaska doesn’t have any statewide sales tax, it’s only in some communities - Wasilla, Palmer and Cordova, Alaska all have sales taxes, but the Municipality of Anchorage does not.

So I haven’t been charged any taxes for Internet purchases so far. Eventually, I suppose, I will be.

whm
Old 10-22-2018, 05:36 AM

I found out about the sales tax that MF was charging when I balanced my credit card account. I have been charged tax by MF since June 2018, but their website shows zero tax when I look at my account and order page. I've even ordered a bass over the phone from MF and was quoted a final price, only to find out that tax was added on my credit card.

Paying tax that is mandated by law is one thing, but it should be clear to the buyer that he is being charged tax at time of purchase. MF needs to update their website and give some training to their employees that answer the phones and take orders.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I found out about the sales tax that MF was charging when I balanced my credit card account. I have been charged tax by MF since June 2018, but their website shows zero tax when I look at my account and order page. I've even ordered a bass over the phone from MF and was quoted a final price, only to find out that tax was added on my credit card.

Paying tax that is mandated by law is one thing, but it should be clear to the buyer that he is being charged tax at time of purchase. MF needs to update their website and give some training to their employees that answer the phones and take orders.
I had a similar experience I bought a guitar on September 29th from MF. This is before sales tax was charged for Minnesota on line orders. Sales tax started 10/1. MF sent me a shipped notice dated 9/30. Which seemed a bit strange seeing that was a Sunday. I had not received an invoice showing the purchase so I called about three weeks ago and asked for one. They set one that included sales tax. I’ve been talking with them weekly trying to get a receipt that reflects what I actually paid with no corrected receipt sent. MF’s service people in the reserve guitar group keep assuring me that they’ll correct this. Now when I’ve spoken to them they say the guitar didn’t actually ship until 10/1 instead of the 9/30 date that the email indicated. Now the Email has disappeared from my in box, maybe I deleted it by mistake but that seems unlikely because I had it flagged. I flag emails I want to keep. I’ve been assured I won’t be charged this tax but I owe it one way or another so it isn’t a huge deal. It seems they weren’t ready to deal with sales tax charges.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:20 AM

Wayfair changed everything. As long as retailers hit the sales threshold (which someone as big as MF does easily), they are now required to pay sales tax in any jurisdiction that collects it, even if they have no physical presence. Some states were already requiring it (which contravened decades of pre-Wayfair Supreme Court decisions, but that's moot now), but for the rest, most had launch dates of October 1 to get tax collection started, hence your recent tax addition.

Wayfair is even trickling down to the state level—as of December 1, Colorado is requiring retailers to pay tax at the local rate, not the statewide rate.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 10-22-2018, 05:07 PM

so, will this bring back brick and mortar, or are they still not able to compete?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-22-2018, 05:37 PM

It's more convenient for me that the retailers now collect the sales tax. Now I don't have to remember to report it at the end of the year. You have been doing that, right?
Old 10-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

It’s simply greed. Some States like my own Massachusetts want to reach into your pocket and take whatever they can even though the company you did business with does not reside in that State.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-22-2018 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Edited comment
Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

I ordered something two days ago and didn't get charged sales tax.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I ordered something two days ago and didn't get charged sales tax.
If you ordered it online from MF, you had better check your credit card statement. They have been charging tax without the buyer knowing it or showing the tax on your account page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic