The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin 0-18 Reimagined???

Hi All -

Anyone own or have played the new Martin 0-18? If so, what are your thoughts and impressions?

Thanks, all!
Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 PM

Played this and about ten other Martins back to back at Gruhn’s a few months ago and let’s just say the 0-18 is the one I’m still thinking about.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:44 PM

I have one I use for travel/work that is just a great little guitar. Sounds full, not boxy and really cuts through ambient noise really well. Sounds much louder than you might expect. Just fun to play.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
I have one I use for travel/work that is just a great little guitar. Sounds full, not boxy and really cuts through ambient noise really well. Sounds much louder than you might expect. Just fun to play.
Thank you! Glad to hear that you do not find it boxy. I am not a fan of that tonal quality.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 AM

I bought one of these new this past January. It gets played pretty much every day. Here are some observations.

Some people are not a fan of the neck shape, but I find it so easy to fret and the satin finish avoids that sticky feeling. I saw the guitar unboxed (direct from the factory) and it was decently set up. The shop owner did some minor filing of the nut slots and I brought it back a week later for a few adjustments. Since then it has no trouble staying in tune, no fret buzz, or similar problems.

The tone has only gotten better. Like you, Kh1967, I was not looking for a boxy tone and brand new the 0-18 had a nice sparkle and warmth. The sustain is lovely. The first few months it did not take well to strumming but has definitely opened up and now light strumming rings out nicely. I play a lot of different styles and this little Martin does equally well with flatpicking and fingerstyle.

It's super comfortable to play and simply classy as far as looks. Smells great, too!

My only (minor) complaint is with the case. Unlike the case for my Guild, there is no little notch at the bottom to account for the strap button, but as I only play this guitar seated I just leave the button off.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post
I bought one of these new this past January. It gets played pretty much every day. Here are some observations.

Some people are not a fan of the neck shape, but I find it so easy to fret and the satin finish avoids that sticky feeling. I saw the guitar unboxed (direct from the factory) and it was decently set up. The shop owner did some minor filing of the nut slots and I brought it back a week later for a few adjustments. Since then it has no trouble staying in tune, no fret buzz, or similar problems.

The tone has only gotten better. Like you, Kh1967, I was not looking for a boxy tone and brand new the 0-18 had a nice sparkle and warmth. The sustain is lovely. The first few months it did not take well to strumming but has definitely opened up and now light strumming rings out nicely. I play a lot of different styles and this little Martin does equally well with flatpicking and fingerstyle.

It's super comfortable to play and simply classy as far as looks. Smells great, too!

My only (minor) complaint is with the case. Unlike the case for my Guild, there is no little notch at the bottom to account for the strap button, but as I only play this guitar seated I just leave the button off.
Great feedback - thank you so much for taking the time. Glad you are really enjoying yours!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Anyone else? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Anyone else? Thanks!
Haven’t played one Kori, but I can’t imagine this one not being boxy. You’ve had the 000-18, 00-18, and one or two H&D T0014s, yes? If you’re set on this size, why not look for a used T0014 again? Better build, playability, a huge sound, and definitely not boxy.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 10-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Haven’t played one Kori, but I can’t imagine this one not being boxy. You’ve had the 000-18, 00-18, and one or two H&D T0014s, yes? If you’re set on this size, why not look for a used T0014 again? Better build, playability, a huge sound, and definitely not boxy.
Hi Brendan,

You bring up a fair point. The 00s are great, as is the 000-18. And, yes, I have had a "few" T-0014s. Collings has always been my single 0 of choice but, wanted to see how others felt about the new 0-18 and how it is stacking up.

I confess....I am a HUGE fan of the Martin re-imagined series. Love the tone, build quality and the neck profile, albeit not 1 11/16" (my preferred) the MLO profile works nicely for my mitts.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Kori...I haven't tried the 0-18 either but I did see recently that Wes & Ben at Pre*War are building a really nice single 0 in thermo-cured Adirondack over Honduran Mahogany or EIR or Brazilian. Just a heads up...
https://www.pre-warguitars.com/parlor/

Jonathan Brown plays an original tune on a PWGC 0-28 Brazilian at Carters Vintage in Nashville.
https://www.facebook.com/CarterVinta...0476966462699/

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:05 PM

Hi K,
Not sure where you are in Chicago but the Old Town School of Folk Music retail store on Lincoln Ave has a new Martin O-18 (unless it sold in the last week or two) hanging on their wall. Maybe you'd like to check it out? And last time I checked Guitarworks in Evanston still had a used Collings O (German/EIR) in mint condition. My old guitar that I parted with in a trade. Great guitar for a reduced price!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Kori...I haven't tried the 0-18 either but I did see recently that Wes & Ben at Pre*War are building a really nice single 0 in thermo-cured Adirondack over Honduran Mahogany or EIR or Brazilian. Just a heads up...
https://www.pre-warguitars.com/parlor/

Jonathan Brown plays an original tune on a PWGC 0-28 Brazilian at Carters Vintage in Nashville.
https://www.facebook.com/CarterVinta...0476966462699/
That Pre-War sounds insanely good. Yikes! Thank you for sharing. :-)
Old 10-23-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat1 View Post
Hi K,
Not sure where you are in Chicago but the Old Town School of Folk Music retail store on Lincoln Ave has a new Martin O-18 (unless it sold in the last week or two) hanging on their wall. Maybe you'd like to check it out? And last time I checked Guitarworks in Evanston still had a used Collings O (German/EIR) in mint condition. My old guitar that I parted with in a trade. Great guitar for a reduced price!
Thank you!

The Collings 0 in German/Rosewood is definitely one of my favorites. Thank you for the heads up!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
That Pre-War sounds insanely good. Yikes! Thank you for sharing. :-)
Yeah...I thought so too. My pleasure! Good luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:51 PM

I’ve had a Custom Shop 0-21 for about a year, and it has become the one I pull out of it’s case every day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion