The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 AM

Default Camping Guitar?

Earlier this year I bought a Taylor GS-mini for travel. It worked out great on my road trip to California and a vacation in Belize. But when I went camping this summer I was afraid to take the guitar because I would have to leave it either in a hot tent or hot car during the day.

My question is this: is an all-HPL guitar immune to the vagaries of temperature and humidity? Can I leave it in the car for hours during the summer? Martin has some all-HPL models that I thought would work OK if they are resistant to the heat.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:00 AM

I'm pretty sure that HPL will be prone to warping in higher temperatures.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Just get a cheap little Recording King or Jim Dandy and don't worry about it. If it dies, you can get a new one. Or get a carbon fiber guitar, but then you've spent enough that you'll probably worry about other kinds of damage to that. Or, take whatever you like playing and don't worry about it - it's just stuff, after all. But my approach if I was still one to do tent camping would be a cheap little Jim Dandy that I could use as kindling in an emergency and not lose any sleep...

-Ray
Old 10-21-2018, 08:20 AM

My Takamine (EF341C) is my all weather guitar (NW Ohio/SE Michigan). It's 35 years old and I don't do anything other than keep it in the case when it's not being played. Camping in August it's in the car when not being played and temps can be in the 90's with humidity. In October temps can be in the upper 40's. I've never had a problem with stability. You can find them online used for around 5-600.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 10-21-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botofogo View Post
Earlier this year I bought a Taylor GS-mini for travel. It worked out great on my road trip to California and a vacation in Belize. But when I went camping this summer I was afraid to take the guitar because I would have to leave it either in a hot tent or hot car during the day.

My question is this: is an all-HPL guitar immune to the vagaries of temperature and humidity? Can I leave it in the car for hours during the summer? Martin has some all-HPL models that I thought would work OK if they are resistant to the heat.
There would be ways to mitigate heat in the car (lower a window just a bit, wrap guitar in sleeping bag, like that) but any wood or laminate will, I think, be vulnerable. The Mini is a great little travel guitar but if you can afford it, a CA Cargo (I just saw one around $1200 - way less than I paid) it will out-sound the Mini (for me, anyway - I played side-by-side) and be very difficult to harm. Same would be true of Rainsong Parlor, which I have not played but gets great reviews here and elsewhere.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:51 AM

Man, if you arent willing to risk it with a gs mini, i wouldnt bother bringing anything.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:27 AM

I would think even laminate guitars could be affected by extremes of temperature and humidity, but I'd be more concerned about the glue.

As others have suggested, there are options too numerous to mention for perfectly playable guitars in the sub-$200 range, both new and used.

I'd be inclined to get a fun, cheapo guitar that can knock around with you anywhere but which could be easily and inexpensively replaced even IF you had to use it for tindersticks.

But then, I'm just a fun cheapo myself...

- John Shedd
Old 10-21-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdotcom View Post
Man, if you arent willing to risk it with a gs mini, i wouldnt bother bringing anything.
That's about it. The only other thing is buy a $50.00 beater and take that.

As far as the heat goes, you can open the flaps in your tent and it won't be all that hot and crack all the windows in your car. Keeping the guitar in a Godin TRIC case or something similar will help insulate it to a degree (no pun intended).

As for heat, how hot do you think the truck was that delivered your guitar to the store? Those things can get upward of 160F and hotter in places like Arizona and Nevada and guitars are delivered like that all the time
Old 10-21-2018, 11:32 AM

Yeah... A beater. A $100 wonder would be best for those situations. The only other material that I think would withstand being in a hot car all day would be carbon fiber... But those are costly.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-21-2018, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I bought a carbon fiber ( journey of660) for a travel guitar and have been happy with it.
If I wanted something that was entirely worry free,from what I’ve read, I’d buy a Luna. It seems some Luna models have decent tone, are inexpensive and are durable.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:52 PM

See my thread of last week on Beer Guitars. I hate to keep pimping Shopgoodwill.com but here’s one suggestion. An Alvarez OOO that will not break the bank.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/59084723

I’ve seen several Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry guitars also, for cheap. Lots of others with useful life left in them. Buy one of these, set it up, and take it camping. Just detune if it’s to be left in heat.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 10-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, you can go the cheap laminate route, but if you are like me, you want something that sounds decent too...not sure of your budget, but I love my CA Cargo and take it camping a lot. In an RV, not a tent. It sounds very good and you can find them used for less than a thousand.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:07 AM

I bring my 46 Gibson. God does it sound great around the campfire. Trips are in the fall, so don't worry about a hot car. Its been at more campfires than I can count. Just back from 3 nites in Moab, great jams ea nite. Crazy, but there ya go...
Any tips on sizing pics. Yikes!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 10-23-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I've always kept a Rainsong of some sort for this purpose. They are great out door guitars!! They sound good too.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-23-2018, 09:11 AM

There’s an Emerald X7 on eBay for $450 right now. It would be perfect for your needs.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion