The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 06:37 AM

Of the four guitars I’ve bought over the past six years, two have come from locally-owned guitar stores (one in Raleigh NC USA and the other in Red Hill, Brisbane, Australia). In both cases, the guitars were used and in great shape, and both set up the guitars very well. Both stores offer competitive pricing and go out of their way to make good recommendations about equipment and accessories. If I have a good local choice, I’ll take it. What I order online are items I know I want and the locals don’t sell (special brands of strings, picks, etc). I love going into the guitar store and playing the instrument before I buy it. I was nearly a nervous wreck buying the one guitar I bought via eBay, and even though it turned out to be a really good instrument, I’m not sure I’d do that again.

Gone and not forgotten:
Gibson LG1 (1957 model)
Norman B15 12-string (2003 model)
Old 10-20-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdotcom View Post
So I wrote a huge rant about it but dont want to start trouble. so heres the short of it

Local guitar shops are a lot like pawn shops and flea markets, they are fun to walk into once every 10 years to remind you of why you dont go there anymore.
As I sit here with my electronic tablet in hand I scare myself with how easy it is to buy anything I want without getting off my *** and driving to a local retailer. Will the human race abandon the way we've done retail for a few centuries? I think it could happen to most sellers of products that are mass produced from refrigerators to Rolexes. Unlike trumpets and drums, stringed instruments have just enough uniqueness at the higher end to perhaps escape the onslaught of Amazon. I love my local shops and try to give them as much business as I can. With the exception of an Art and Lutherie parlor I bought. a few years ago, I've never bought a guitar online. But I confess, a few pedals, an amp, and a new set of tuners came from online dealers we've all used. And the reason, of course, is I wouldn't get off my *** and go shopping.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:50 AM

I have a couple of local shops near me that I bought pretty much every guitar I own from (one exception I got off of Craigslist). When it come to strings, I buy online though.

The two shops are:
Alpha Audio Works in Mystic,CT.

Groton Guitars in Groton,CT.

Both of those places have guitars for prices that are agreeable and a lot of time cheaper than the bigger stores due to sales and such.

Once I had a problem with a guitar I special ordered from Alpha and they bent over backwards to make it right and make sure I was happy. Another time, about a month after buying a guitar from Alpha, they realized it was supposed to be on sale the day I bought it and had me come down for the money they owed ME!.. can't say enough about Alpha and it is always the first store I look to when looking for a new guitar.

Groton Guitars has a really nice selection of electric guitars, for a good price. Both of my electrics I bought from them (PRS/Ibanez) were actually less expensive than the big-box stores. They are very knowledgeable about their products and make sure you are happy when you leave.

If you live in CT, I highly recommend these two shops.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 10-20-2018, 06:51 AM

As I climbed the quality ladder, I've discovered what I want is rarely available from any shop. There was one 75 minutes away but he retired. Several that sell only cheap stuff are closer, but not nearer than 16 miles. Sometimes I will buy inexpensive accessories.

I do have a hangup with those who window shop locally, then buy online.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:54 AM

I LOVE my local shop...and have spent countless dollars in it, since I got started on this whole guitar thing.

But...

After weeding through the initial discovery phase, and narrowing the scope of my interests, I've come to realize that I can get what I'm after from a reputable online resource for FAR less than the local shop can afford to sell it for. While it is fun to go in to the shop and check things out...and, on occasion, find something really special...I just can't justify paying hundreds more for a guitar in-house, solely for the ability to say that I support local business.

Being a Taylor fan, consistency between identical model instruments is very reliable...so it makes no sense to spend several hundred extra dollars for one.

This is not to say that I'm done with my local shop. Not at all. I'll still go to them for smaller stuff, and will be fine paying an extra buck or two, for the convenience.

Added bonus - the owner and staff are amazingly good people. That makes the experiences within a pleasure.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 10-20-2018, 07:00 AM

I tend to buy big ticket stuff in my local shops.
I like to play guitars before I buy them.
So I buy from local shops and local individuals.

Incidentals like Strings, picks, Capos I generally order.
My two local shops one doesn’t carry the strings I prefer, but I’ve bought two guitars from them and one from one of their employees.
The other shop, I wander in on occasion. He has the music books and such I want. And he carries the picks I like.
But he does price gouge an some stuff. But he’ll haggle the price down if you’re a regular.

I’m also within an hour of some really good shops. Mass Street Music is only two towns over, so I have them as a resource.

But a lot comes down to convenience. I need a dozen packs of a specific kind of strings. Do I spend an hour on the phone checking all the shops for them? Or do I hit up Strings and Beyond who will send them directly to me and give me free shipping for orders over a certain price?

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-20-2018, 07:05 AM

In Tampa, we have both GC and Sam Ash. But we’re also extremely lucky to have Replay Guitar Exchange. For picks and strings, I go to the big box stores. I’ll see what’s hanging on the shelves and strum a few. But when I decided I was finally going to get a Gibson slope shoulder, I played what the chains had first and called Kent at Replay last. I always want to support the local guy first if possible and once again that’s what I did. Got a smoking deal on a brand new J35 for the same price as Sam Ash wanted for 2016 J15. Also, with Replay, I know they’ve inspected everything and if it’s hanging on the wall it’s passed another level of scrutiny.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:08 AM

The Stores, and not just Music Stores used to have a monopoly on product AND information.

With the internet and online shopping, I can research stuff in MINUTES that used to take days, or even weeks.

Who ever heard of M.A.P. before the internet?

Now I can fix a lot of things I would never have attempted before youTube, and I can know what the REAL price is on things that used to be more expensive than they are now.....

I see no reason to help a local business if he's a crook. If he's good, he'll probably be alright.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 10-20-2018, 07:11 AM

I don't use my local shop anymore. I used to purchase strings and picks there, but the staff are grumpy and disinterested. It was never much of an acoustic shop, sold several budget/mid priced electrics and Blackstar amps.

The last time I was there a guy came in enquiring about a Sigma acoustic. The owner told him we don't do those but we've got some great (x brand) electrics arriving soon...

I vowed never to return.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:27 AM

I always try local shops first - for pretty much anything, music stuff, computer, electronics and more. I prefer having some expertise and service nearby. Our small community has a couple music shops (one includes guitars and band instruments) and I have purchased guitars or accessories from each, and have gotten great service (setup, mainly) from the guitar specialty shop. If they keep my choice of strings in stock I buy there (had to venture out last time, but will check back). Both of these shops have been reasonably competitive in price, offer first hand experience, and opportunities to try stuff out. All that said, I am now interested in carbon fiber and no local shop handles them...I had to go to what, for me, is a "regional shop," Elderly, for my first and if there is another it may well have to be shipped direct.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:31 AM

I have bought from dealers within 100 miles because they carried guitars I otherwise could not sample. The extra cost of $150-$200 was mostly due to their profit margin and state taxes. I try to buy strings and such locally for the benefit of having a place to try new and used guitars. On larger purchases I have been happy with the price and service from our sponsors.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:46 AM

I try to buy as much as possible from my local guys
I've even bought a couple of guitars from them,both
Times they gave me good deals,I do have a problem with
A couple of the knuckle heads that work there
It's funny though,they really get annoyed when you mention guitar center
I will still buy from them
Old 10-20-2018, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

If I am looking for an item that is common (clip on tuner, metronome, etc.), I'll go big box or online.

Folks living in my area can shop a few, very fine, more specialized shops. One specializes in classical guitar. Another keeps a diverse and plentiful stock of high end steel string acoustics. You can also find one that seems to always stock the gear that a regular gigging pro needs (I don't use this one much, but I refer this place often).

When these local shops stop supplying the more specialized items, I will probably look to online sources. I truly wish the best of success to the local shops in my area.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:53 AM

I generally buy guitars directly from builders or here. I still try to get supplies locally. We have lost a lot of shops and occasionally I need a repair or something sooner than FedEx can deliver, which is why I need a few good stores to stay open.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I have been lucky in that the local shops I have patronized have been outstanding attitude and service and relatively competitive enough that I have only purchased guitars from local dealers. Doubt I would ever buy a guitar online.
I have purchased a few pieces of pro audio equipment on line ( when the local shop did not stock or could not get it) As well a buying and one electric guitar amp online. But I buy most of my pro audio gear from a local shop also .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion