The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 04:07 AM

Default At what point do you NOT support the small local shop?

I occasionally buy something from a small, cluttered, strange little music store basically because I feel bad for the guy. Never anything big, but several guitar hangers, picks, and a capo. The Shubb capo I got last night cost me $36 and change. Obviously, driving ten more minutes to GC would have saved me nearly half that, but I didn’t balk at the price because I don’t think he makes much money there and I caught him just as he was closing for the day.

I guess I’m just curious where people stand on the line between supporting the little guy and throwing money away?
Old 10-20-2018, 04:16 AM

- When they tell you they don't care how much cheaper you can get it and to go buy it from somewhere else.
- When you order a CD and after waiting several weeks they tell you they can't get it. You go home and find it on the internet in 20 seconds.
- All strings increase in price by 30% overnight.

I've never been back.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-20-2018, 04:28 AM

I try to buy everything local first, but they have to be in the ball park. I wouldn't walk in and hand him $10 just for being there, so it's safe to say I wouldn't pay $18 for a set of $8 strings.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

I don't support the local music shop.

Sorry but there it is.

Frankly they don't have anything that I want/need.

I do support a shop a few hundred miles away which has an Ebay shop and usually come up with the strings I need when I want them and once, just once I had a problem with a shipment they sent me. It was NOT their fault - but they insisted in compensating me.

We know that in business , competitive pricing is always about buying in quantity, and local dealers can't buy wholesale as cheap as the retail prices of the bulk buyers.

As far as guitars, I've pretty much got all I need now. The likelihood of my buying again is rapidly diminishing, and anything that I might buy, is not going to be hanging on the wall of a local dealer.

Like car dealers, for both new and used, local dealers choose the price band that they feel most practical for their local market.

We have two music shops in my city, one does funky cheap used stuff, and the other sells mainly mid range new stuff.

They both seem to be doing OK.

Both are within about two/three miles of me but it could take me twenty minutes to drive there, and, if lucky, find a parking place which will cost me probably £2-£3 to park.

If I can get those strings cheaper, (and fresher) on ebay from a dealer 100 miles away which will be delivered in a day or two, then that's what I'll do.

BTW - my ancient Roman walled city designed like a spoked wheel, has a vibrant shopping centre, albeit clothes for young people, banks, restaurants, and "chic" cafes (some sadly American chains), but my wife tells me we have some good European style ones too. (I can no longer drink coffee).

Even if I want some pens - or paper, it is easier for me to buy them online than look in local shops.

It IS sad, but times have changed and my city centre, as entertining as it is, is no longer for me.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:48 AM

Well, my local shop is The Music Emporium. It doesn’t get much better than that so I’ll support them as long as they (and I) are still there.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 10-20-2018, 05:04 AM

I own a small store and I keep prices as close as I can to what you can get it for online. Imo it's not good business to price products sky high like that because it will make people upset and word will get out and make people not even want to go in your shop.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 10-20-2018 at 06:18 AM. Reason: inappropriate language
Old 10-20-2018, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

At least dust the place once in a while and keep regular hours
Old 10-20-2018, 05:32 AM

The only reason I will do business with a local shop any more is if it is convenient for ME, and they have something I want. I find that is almost never the case any more.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:46 AM

I live in a small village of about 8000 people bordering a larger metro area. My little village has a very nice music store that sells instruments, lessons, repairs and guitar building classes. I buy from them as often as possible because I like to support local businesses, they keep the prices the same as the big box store in Albuquerque and he sets up all of the instruments that he sells. I bought my bass amp (Rumble 100) and strings & things from them. I always try to give them the first shot at the few $$$ that I spend on musical equipment.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:46 AM

I'm fortunate that i have several decent options within an hour's drive. I always support local first, unless it's something they specifically can't carry (which happens). I dont mind paying a little more. Also fortunate that I've not run into customer service issues. But then again, as someone who helps run a small business (in appliance repair) I tend to be sympathetic and never a problem customer. If I do have a problem, I've always had it dealt with well.

So bottom line, if they can't get it, or have it backordered for an unforseeable future I'll look on eBay or another music site.

I've been great at diversifying my online shopping habits, trying to steer clear of amazon when I can (which is surprisingly often lately).
Old 10-20-2018, 06:17 AM

So I wrote a huge rant about it but dont want to start trouble. so heres the short of it

Local guitar shops are a lot like pawn shops and flea markets, they are fun to walk into once every 10 years to remind you of why you dont go there anymore.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:24 AM

When they cease to have what I'm looking for......
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-20-2018, 06:25 AM

It obviously depends on the quality of the local shop and the attitude of the people working there. I like having local shops and I have negotiated prices based on web prices. I tell them I don't mind paying a little more for the convenience of having a local shop and the personal services they provide, but they have to get in the ball park. Mine have been happy to come close to on line prices.

I do seem to shop less and less at the local shop because of the ease of purchasing strings, etc. from one of our vendors here.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-20-2018, 06:31 AM

When they charge $20 for a $3 set of strings. When they ask $1500 for a guitar when you're in the store but post the same one on CL for $800. When they order you an instrument case that you wait a month for, and realize you could've got it online in 3 days for 40% less money.

I like going in them like someone else mentioned to find something you don't already have. For example, the local store near me has DI boxes that are really good quality that I can't find online for a really good price. The same place had old stock Tusq saddles for a very reasonable price. Another store in my area has hard parts for electric and acoustic guitars IN STOCK such as switches, strap buttons, saddles, nuts, speed knobs, bridges of all types, a large variety of tuning machines. Lastly, a store in the adjacent state has a small but decent stock of relatively locally made hand made guitar straps which are very nice.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
Well, my local shop is The Music Emporium. It doesn’t get much better than that so I’ll support them as long as they (and I) are still there.
How lucky are you and I, right?
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion