The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-19-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Mac Book Pro - Used?

Hi, I am old school when it comes to computers - and I still have my desk top (actually under the desk) and a laptop running Windows 7.

I am getting fed up with Microsoft trick which for instancve have removed the drivers for my laser printer and making it very difficult to use firefox, so I'm thinking Apple gear.

My long time computer builder and helper in all things IT has offed me a Mac book Pro 1286 I-7 with 8gb Ram and 240 meg SSD. and tells me that I can down load "I-movies" (?) for free.

I'm thinking that I'd like to be able to edit my YouTube Videos and maybe do some recording at home, and that this laptop might be a way for me to familiarise myself with Apple ways of doing things with less concerns about viruses and the dubious tricks that Microsoft play.

He (my IT man) doesn't know how old the machine is - things it is about 1012-14.

He seems to be asking about half price of similar used machines on ebay, but of course far more expensive than a new M/S typed machine.

I'd really appreciate opinions on this machine for browsing, recording video editing etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ol' Andy
Old 10-19-2018, 10:34 AM

My wife got a new MacBook Pro last year after enduring years of glitchy MS Windows laptops (the last being Windows 10). She doesn't use a computer for much more than standard online things such as email,shopping,web browsing, Facebook, etc., but her MacBook has performed perfectly while her Windows laptop was seemingly always plagued with issues. She reminds me daily that she should have switched to Apple a decade ago.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-19-2018, 10:52 AM

will he offer followup if necessary? it is great that it comes with the huge ssd internal drive. that may have been an add-on.

one problem you may run into in the future is that apple doesn't support their computers, software wise, forever. i was lucky that my 2010 imac was upgrade- able to high sierra operating system. my wife's 2007 imac was not.

i have been happy purchasing refurb imacs and ipads off of the apple store. they come with the standard warranty.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
will he offer followup if necessary? it is great that it comes with the huge ssd internal drive. that may have been an add-on.

one problem you may run into in the future is that apple doesn't support their computers, software wise, forever. i was lucky that my 2010 imac was upgrade- able to high sierra operating system. my wife's 2007 imac was not.

i have been happy purchasing refurb imacs and ipads off of the apple store. they come with the standard warranty.

play music!
Hi, yes he does offer back up, and yes he fitted the bigger drive I think e mentioned that it had "high Sierra but that didn't mean much to me.

As long as it isn't Windows10!
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM
AGF Administrator

The A1286 models were discontinued several years ago. It's an older machine but it sounds like it'll meet your needs. With a Core I7, 8GB of RAM, and an SSD it'll run macOS High Sierra just fine (and it's just barely one generation behind the latest macOS Mojave). If it's a mid-2012 or newer model it'll run Mojave, though it may be the last version of macOS that Apple will support for that machine.

iMovie is a good beginner program for getting your feet wet on video editing.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

The issue I see with personal computers in general is that they do require maintenance from time to time, whether it is a software upgrade, changes to handle new hardware, or whatever. Though I am not an Apple user, I suspect that because those are computers too, they would be no different in that regard.

Folks need to realize that with a personal computer, these chores don't go away. You either have to be your own IT department or have a "buddy" to pawn off the work on until you wear out the welcome. The alternative is to pay the prices various businesses charge to do that work for you, not unlike taking your car to a mechanic instead of fixing it yourself.

I will readily admit that, among the non-technical people I know who have personal computers, those using Apple products seem happier with their choice than the Windows users. I do my own maintenance and really don't have any of the horror stories about Windows 10. I am not a fan of Microsoft, and my preferred OS is Linux, but Windows is workable in a perverted sort of way. You have to be willing to undo the crap that Microsoft does. This often involves some google searching and fiddling about on occasion with your computer, but after a while, that process becomes second nature. Of course one could argue that this shouldn't be necessary, and I would lose if I took an opposing view.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-19-2018, 12:12 PM

I work at a local college (I teach English, and I also work in a computer lab), and up to a couple of years ago, here was what I always told students and parents whenever I was asked "What computer should I get?":

If all you are going to be doing is word processing, researching, googling, watching Netflix/YouTube, and social media, go buy a PC. Go spend about $250 on a PC laptop from Walmart, don't visit any weird websites or download anything questionable, and this should get you through at least 2-3 years of college. Save everything in Google docs, and when your PC wears out, just go buy another.

However, if you are at all remotely interested in graphic design, photo editing, audio recording/manipulation, video editing, go get a Mac.

I've changed my tune in the past couple of years. I tell them that if you can afford it, go get a Mac if you can. Why? Because Windows 10 is an absolute nightmare! NONE of our computer techs on campus like it. AT ALL. Looks like we are going to have to just wait it out until a better OS comes out.

Conclusion:

1. Go get a Mac.

2. If you HAVE to get a PC, save EVERYTHING in Google Docs.

Windows 10 is the Chrysler of the computer world.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 10-19-2018 at 09:56 PM. Reason: edit content
Old 10-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post

C'mon now.... it's horrible and I hate it, but it's not THAT bad.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 10-19-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
C'mon now.... it's horrible and I hate it, but it's not THAT bad.
Yes.

Yes it is.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:15 PM

One thing to keep your eye on is the connectors. I just replaced a 2012 Macbook air with a new Macbook pro and the computer has just two Thunderbolt 3 ports in it. No USB. No Firewire. No ethernet. So I had to get adapters and a dock to use the hard drives I have (I edit video and audio and some of the files are huge and need really big drives). So if you want to use existing printers or hard drives or whatever, or if you want to upgrade, these issues can be a pain. Not a deal breaker, but a pain, IMHO. Also, if you want to get serious about video editing you should look at Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premier. There is a learning curve for sure, but it is a different universe of editing power. But I agree that if you are doing any kind of media, Mac is way out ahead. Ask the pros...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 10-19-2018, 06:16 PM

The used Mac is more expensive than a PC laptop?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-19-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I work at a local college (I teach English, and I also work in a computer lab), and up to a couple of years ago, here was what I always told students and parents whenever I was asked "What computer should I get?":

If all you are going to be doing is word processing, researching, googling, watching Netflix/YouTube, and social media, go buy a PC. Go spend about $250 on a PC laptop from Walmart, don't visit any weird websites or download anything questionable, and this should get you through at least 2-3 years of college. Save everything in Google docs, and when your PC wears out, just go buy another.

However, if you are at all remotely interested in graphic design, photo editing, audio recording/manipulation, video editing, go get a Mac.

I've changed my tune in the past couple of years. I tell them that if you can afford it, go get a Mac if you can. Why? Because Windows 10 is an absolute nightmare! NONE of our computer techs on campus like it. AT ALL. Looks like we are going to have to just wait it out until a better OS comes out.

Conclusion:

1. Go get a Mac.

2. If you HAVE to get a PC, save EVERYTHING in Google Docs.

I love Windows 10. I've been using it for 3 years and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 10-19-2018 at 09:58 PM. Reason: edit quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
The used Mac is more expensive than a PC laptop?
A PC laptop can be a department store craptop or a first tier model priced as a Mac is because of same or similar components and support.

To the OP, there are apps such as MacTracker and sites that will help you find exactly what you have. IIRC, that model could be as old as 2008 or new as 2012.

Also, you must have something really unusual or wrong if you think the way you do about Microsoft and your printer. I admit to be 1/3 into replacing all the Window 7 in the enterprise but still don't have problems getting Windows 7 systems to do or work in most situations.

The tribal behavior over this stuff gets pretty silly. I admit that I use Macs as my host OS most of the time but I use Windows as much most days. It's all good and works well if you make good choices and follow directions.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
...He (my IT man) doesn't know how old the machine is - things it is about 1012-14.

Ol' Andy
Yep, that's pretty old, for sure.

Not too old, though, to get into a great Apple machine.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:23 PM

I've been running PCs for the last 35 years or so. From MS-DOS to Windows 10. Microsoft has put out a lot of stinkers - ME, Vista - but overall I have been pretty happy with their product.

That said, Macs have their place and are pretty dominant in certain areas like graphics arts. Though, I run Adobe CS5 on my PC with no issues whatsoever. I also run CAD/CAM, which probably is not a strong suit in the Mac world - not because the machines are not capable, but because of the amount of software choices available.

For what you're doing, I think you'll be more than fine. Though, if your laptop allows it, I'd have a secondary drive installed, or at least have an external drive with FireWire, keep all your "work" on the secondary drive, and your apps on the faster SSD.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic