The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Music made Nam tolerable for one brother. He carried a picture of me in his wallet. I was holding a guitar for him so he knew it was in safe hands. I never played a note, but the music he imagined being played helped keep his sanity during rough times.
One of the guys on my unit is a Viet Nam vet. He lights up over old Creedence Clearwater Revival tunes. I have learned Down on the Corner, Who'll Stop the Rain, Bad Moon Rising, and Fortunate Son just for him. He told me one day that listening to the old songs, "Brings out the best in me." A better compliment I've never had.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-19-2018, 04:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
One of the guys on my unit is a Viet Nam vet. He lights up over old Creedence Clearwater Revival tunes. I have learned Down on the Corner, Who'll Stop the Rain, Bad Moon Rising, and Fortunate Son just for him. He told me one day that listening to the old songs, "Brings out the best in me." A better compliment I've never had.
I bet so. Such sweet words from his heart. Tunes from their generation makes their eyes twinkle and I catch myself bee-bopping to those songs, too.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublro View Post
Just beginning to do this, and feel like I may have discovered a calling - my mom spent 6 weeks in a rehab recently after a crash into severe depression and faliure to thrive. after being very lethargic and almost non-verbal, one of the first glimpses that she was still "in there" was during a sing-along, where she pepped right up and sang nearly every word of the songs.

wondering if you'd be willing to share your songlist here or offline - really want to learn and do music that goes over well for maximum enjoyment and therapeutic sing-along benefit :-)
Because Lee also plays Mandolin and Harmonica, we are able to be very diverse.
We do a little Bluegrass...songs like Kentucky Waltz, Roll in My Sweet Baby's Arms as a for instance. We do some Country stuff too. Willie Nelson's Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain, Angel from Montgomery, Wagon Wheel and Remember When by Alan Jackson.
We do some older stuff... Moon River...sounds great with a harmonica. Then we rock 'em with Steamroller Blues, Built for Comfort, Crazy MaMa ...stuff like that. Gotta' do John Denver's Country Roads as a sing along. We also do People Get Ready which they love. Gospel tunes are always good.
It's really a mix of all kinds of stuff. They like anything. It doesn't have to be stuff they know. It just has to be stuff they can get in to. That covers a lot of ground. We usually try to do 50-50 slow stuff and uptempo.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-19-2018, 06:46 PM

Wow, reading this thread is SO powerful and uplifting. Bless all of your performing this service! I'm sure you regard this as your blessing, not the attendees, but no matter.

I am retiring next year, and have considered playing for a very special nursing home. While I know those listening might enjoy any live songs, I wonder what your setlist might consist of?
Obviously age-dependent, but I'd like to have an idea what I might use in my list.

Thanks!!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 10-19-2018, 07:08 PM

My parents lived in an assisted living facility. One of the highlights for my mother was having a performer playing the music she grew up with. Your providing music for this group is important and truly moves the audience.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 10-19-2018, 10:41 PM

We are doing the first studies on how musical education can fight dementia. I will report back on our data as it appears.

D.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:10 AM

It just occurred to me that my mom is getting a little back for all the days she took time off work to drive her bored and ungrateful pre-teen kid to guitar lessons back in the early 70s.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

As the other part of the duo I thought I should join this great thread. I echo everything Jamie's said and appreciate the great experiences everyone has shared. Being careful not to run afoul of the forum guidelines I would only add that there is a strong sense that each of these 'gigs' is more than 'just another job'. Playing in this context is a sacred act that we're both blessed beyond measure to be able to do. As others have noted, this is a low pressure gig, yet we both take this privilege to heart and to my ears have played some of our most heartfelt music in these facilities. Please consider sharing your talents in similar ways-just be advised that you'll get hooked on it!
Old 10-20-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
Wow, reading this thread is SO powerful and uplifting. Bless all of your performing this service! I'm sure you regard this as your blessing, not the attendees, but no matter.

I am retiring next year, and have considered playing for a very special nursing home. While I know those listening might enjoy any live songs, I wonder what your setlist might consist of?
Obviously age-dependent, but I'd like to have an idea what I might use in my list.

Thanks!!
Old gospel tunes: I Saw the Light, I Love to Tell the Story, Amazing Grace, Old Rugged Cross, What a Friend We Have in Jesus

Old 60's songs: 500 Miles, House of the Rising Sun, several CCR tunes, King of the Road, etc

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

What a sweet thread this is, reading everyone's comments.

My father suffered from Alzheimer's Disease and passed away about 10 years ago. I remember my mother writing to tell me how some folks came to play guitar at the nursing home in his last months and how my father seemed to come alive with the music. She said it was really quite an amazing thing to see considering the shape he was in.

I'm going to have to look into doing this locally.

- Glenn
Old 10-20-2018, 11:22 AM

My band performs at a wide variety of venues and some of our most rewarding shows are at Assisted Living Homes and other like places.
We also do 3 to 4 shows a year at Vet Homes and Centers.

The residents at these homes love having music brought to them.
Many are shut ins and don't get to see concerts outside of their homes.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Old gospel tunes: I Saw the Light, I Love to Tell the Story, Amazing Grace, Old Rugged Cross, What a Friend We Have in Jesus

Old 60's songs: 500 Miles, House of the Rising Sun, several CCR tunes, King of the Road, etc
All this is the kind of music we hear at open mic and when having song circles and jamming during the annual McJams. It is great to hear the good old songs that are so familiar. We all join in even when not invited to. Music like this brings back memories I never want to lose. I usually cry during a few tunes. The players have grown accustomed to us girls acting like ... girls.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:17 PM

After a 13 year layoff, this is the thing that got me back into playing again back in 2006. Still going strong !!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:00 PM

For the last 2 months I've been playing about 3 days a week at assisted living places. It is extremely gratifying for me and hopefully them as well. I have gotten my musical chops back and made some wonderful friends who have such interesting life stories. I love to see a face light up when I play a song they recognize. I plan to continue doing it as much as possible.

Also, I met a really sweet lady who works in one of the facilities.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Thank you for this thread.

I used to play for the elderly and infirm back in the '70s, and although I am getting a lil' closer to being one of them, this inspires me to consider playing for those that can't get out much.

Please do continue to list the tunes that you find your audience favoring. I used to sing and play tunes by James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, John Prine, David Bromberg, etc.

I've been on a different path for the last couple decades (playing big band jazz on the tenor sax), but this comes at an auspicious fork in my path.

Wishing all the best to all of you,

George

George

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion