The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Default PASSION - Are you limited to guitar only??

Hi All

Looong time lurker here who rarely if ever posts. I am curious as to other passions you all have. Personally, I tend to focus on one at a time outside of work and family as that is all I've got time for. I am 52 years old and have several over the years.

Fishing - Still love it but kids don't and both boys love guitar

Mountain bike riding - Absolutely loved it for years but moved away from it about 8 years ago. Crashing hurts more and injuries take a lot longer to hear as you age

Golf - Took up golf seriously about 10 years ago and gives guitar a run for it's money

How about you?
Old 10-18-2018, 01:00 PM

I work 55 (work and commute) hours a week, care for a 87 year old mother with health issues, and do most of the housework because my wife is disabled. I don't have time for another hobby! I used to be into amateur photography back in the 35 mm days and I love to garden when I have more time. I used to write poetry but that needs time and practice too.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-18-2018, 01:01 PM

Over the years, I have been passionate about a number of different hobbies and activities. Scuba diving, karate, kayaking, photography, target shooting, flying airplanes, motorcycling, boating and several others. Most of these have a roughly four year "half-life" -- I'm really into them for about four years. When I have accomplished most of the things I wanted to do with them, or reached a degree of competency, they tend to fade. The difference between solid competency and mastery usually requires a major commitment of time and effort that has not been in the cards. Physical limitations and age have forced me to curtail some things involuntarily.

Guitar is certainly my longest lasting passion, approaching 50 years now since that first Sears Silvertone. folk model. I will continue guitar until I no longer can play adequately, then switch to dobro/slide style or maybe just ukulele. After that, I don't expect to still be here.....
Old 10-18-2018, 01:04 PM

Love my guitars...more than my playing, it seems.
Also, adore a game of golf, though I usually only play in the summer because once school starts up I'm too busy. Camping is another love of mine, and it so happens to go along quite nicely with my guitar playing.
scott
Old 10-18-2018, 01:25 PM

Running and hiking are my two other lifelong passions. Aside from the cost of clothing and footwear they're mostly free and can be done in relatively short periods of time. I used to play a lot of golf, but just don't have the time or money to devote to it. I grew up fishing with my dad--both the inexpensive wading in a stream type and the expensive bass boat type--but either way it takes a significant chunk of time unless you live next to the water. All of the above are weather-dependent, so the guitar is the focus of most of my passion. Although the initial cost of a guitar and G.A.S. can get quite expensive, it doesn't cost anything to pick up a guitar and play for a few minutes or a few hours, and it does wonders for the soul.
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 10-18-2018, 01:31 PM

I've had a lot of passions/hobbies in my life. Most hang around for a few years, then go away. Sometimes they come back. Music is the one that's in my DNA, and even when it goes on hiatus it always comes back in various forms. But other passions?

In my 20's I got hooked on snow skiing and ultimately after 10 years of teaching skiing earned a Level III Ski Instructor certification. Took me 10 years to get good and 20 to actually figure out that 80% of what most ski teachers tell you is backwards.

I had a brief affair with golf, but liked tennis better and played actively until I had to give it up to spend time with my kids. Later on I got active in pistol shooting, fitness/weight training/cycling.

When I had graduated college and finally had two nickels to rub together the first thing I bought was a Nikkormat FTN camera. I (wrongly) figured it might be a vehicle to meet girls. While I had limited success with the idea that cameras were a chick magnet I got hooked on photography as a hobby. Bought a used Hasselblad within 2 years of my habit and went through roughly 100,000 frames before getting sidetracked with life, family and earning a living. 15 years later my photo hobby resurrected itself and turned into 25 year+ career. But in the middle of that the music thing came back and bit me again and I've been playing trumpet semi-professionally for about 22 years (again) now. About 6 years ago guitar got added back into the music mix. First electric, then acoustic, and recently bass. Yikes!

I forgot to mention one of my life-long passions; Foreign languages. I'm fascinated by language and how language reflects culture and vice versa. Only after dialing back work have I been able to study a couple foreign languages seriously.

I guess that about sums it all up.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 10-18-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I'm passionate about a lot of things... music and several instruments (guitar, drums, piano, recorder, hammered dulcimer), sports (now mostly swimming, golfing, hiking) and a couple crazy interests like investments, taxes and the stock market. Keeps me busy...
Old 10-18-2018, 01:35 PM

Earl49 I live the four year "half life" quote! I agree 100%. Running is another passion although I now use that term loosely to describe it. The passion part is gone - still enjoy it but certainly don't look forward to it I like used to. Bought a couple nice handguns over the past few years and really enjoy it too, but again I stop short of calling it a passion.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:37 PM

Pretty much all guitar and recording tech these days at home.
Used to fish - ride my bike - run - ski - hike. I just turned 57 and really just want to stay home and play with my toys.
So besides work and taking care of an ill wife....all I want to do is play.
Oh - and walk the Hound!
Old 10-18-2018, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Along with guitar, I love songwriting which is an entirely other set of skills though related. I also love being in nature so I set aside time for walking and hiking. I would probably do more drawing but I work full time, commute and own a small home that comes with an eternal to do list!

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Analog tube audio, records (1500), including building tube amps.

Guitar, mandolin, dobro, uke. Songwriting, recording, performing

Gardening 50/50 decorative and edible
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-18-2018, 01:49 PM

Apart from guitar (and guitars), I'm a passionate sports fan. (Watching Australian Rules Football is probably at the top of the list).

Lots of other interests that keep me busy also.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:56 PM

Golf
Skiing
Lionel Electric Trains
All things Aviation
Old 10-18-2018, 02:59 PM
Musical minimalist

Music/guitars
Golf
Road cycling
Intense indoor cardio and strength exercise
Alpine backpacking/hiking

And, I'm passionate about my work - keeping others fit.

Last edited by fitness1; 10-18-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:59 PM

Eight years ago I moved from a house to a condo. I was looking forward to the idea of no gardening and no outside maintenance or repair work as well as better security. I soon was on the strata council and was elected treasurer. Partly to save everyone money, the strata council and a very few volunteers do all the gardening, maintenance and repair work they can. There's never a shortage of work to do. Instead of looking after one house by myself, I now help looking after 40 apartments. Sometimes I complain, but, most times I don't mind too much. It's nice to feel needed and to have financial reports and a property that can be worked on at any time. Having a few new friends and neighbours was a nice bonus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic