The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Best Direct Box for Connecting Acoustic Guitar to Computer?

Hi there,

Any recommendations for direct connection for guitars to computers? I currently am using a Yeti microphone to make recordings to my Mac, but I’d like to try and get some kind of DI box that doesn’t break the bank.

Lauren

Old 10-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
Hi there,

Any recommendations for direct connection for guitars to computers? I currently am using a Yeti microphone to make recordings to my Mac, but I’d like to try and get some kind of DI box that doesn’t break the bank.

Lauren
The only preamp/DI I would use to record an acoustic direct with a pickup is ToneDexter. With a straight preamp, it will sound like a pickup, and your Yeti will likely sound much better. But I'm not clear if you mean you really want a preamp/DI or you need a computer interface. The YETI is USB, correct? So you don't have a recording interface. You'll need something to act as the A/D converter and computer interface. There are tons of these, it depends on your budget and what you need. Here's a good quality, fairly inexpensive all-in-one guitar->USB interface:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...us--apogee-jam

but your guitar will still sound like a pickup. Better to have a real interface, like say, an Apogee Duet, and then a guitar-specific preamp to feed into it. But any pickup-based recording setup will likely be a step backward in sound quality from just using a mic.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:39 AM

What Doug says ^^^. Get an audio interface with at least 2 mic preamps so you can try various 2 microphone recording options when you can afford 2.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps define " break the bank" first in terms of actual $ number range , and also exactly what usage you are anticipating ,

Because I would tend to concur with Doug and Mike a good quality 2 channel interface (for something more long term , depending again on intended use ) might just be the prime option.

Unless you are looking for something specifically small and portable in which case the Apogee Jam might be the best bet ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-15-2018, 01:51 PM

Cool Getting Into A Computer To Record A Guitar

An interface is what most use . There are many , the Apogee was mentioned as a simple and effective one to begin with .

I have an Irig Pro for my IOS use , it addresses my midi needs as well as guitar/line and vocal input requirements .

for my computer which is using a Windows 10 OS is a Focusrite Scarlet 6i6 2nd Generation issue :

Irig runs about $100.00 the Scarlet 6i6 anywhere from $249.00

Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 :

$49.00

These all work some have quality control issues more than others - in short you get what you pay for .

I have need for a midi in/out - that's why I got the 6i6 as , I have a MFX unit , a guitar synthesizer and other midi
related needs to address .

The 6i6 has a double headphone , that's important to me as well for recording a duet live .

Good luck in your choice .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD