The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-09-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Just put in an order for an Emerald X20 Nylon...

Biggest music purchase of my life, but over the years I'm confident it'll be a bargain with respect to $/hr of entertainment I get out of it. It's months away, but I'm super excited.

By the way, this is my first post here, after lurking for a year. So hi everyone :-). I'm just a guitar student who couldn't keep his news to himself. For those curious, I currently practice with a Cordoba C9 and Rainsong CH-WS, and I'm focusing my studies/growth on classical right now.

It'll be a while, but I will let everyone know my impressions once I get it, sometime in March I presume. Meanwhile, I'd love to hear any thoughts anyone has on the X20 Nylon while I patiently wait for mine.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:28 PM

Welcome to our little slice of the world here in the CF subforum thingy...nice buy... but March 1?? Wow!! That WS is a fine guitar so your are doing ok.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-10-2018, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the welcome Kramster :-). Yeah, it certainly is going to be a wait. The nylons are custom, and I certainly asked for modifications, so that explains the wait for me.

But you're right, the CH-WS is a fantastic instrument, and that keeps me really happy. So is the C9 if you ask me, it's just not impervious to temp and humidity issues. Hence me getting the X20 Nylon :-D
Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 AM

Welcome to the CF forum! Given you mention you are mainly Classical, wondering what neck width you are going with?
Old 10-10-2018, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
Thanks for the welcome Kramster :-). Yeah, it certainly is going to be a wait. The nylons are custom, and I certainly asked for modifications, so that explains the wait for me.

But you're right, the CH-WS is a fantastic instrument, and that keeps me really happy. So is the C9 if you ask me, it's just not impervious to temp and humidity issues. Hence me getting the X20 Nylon :-D
Welcome to the forum...from a fellow Cordoba owner and nylon Emerald order waiter. Like you, I love my Cordoba, but I want the beauty of a nylon guitar in a carbon fiber form.

Hopefully your wait won’t be too bad. I ordered my X7 woody nylon on July 19th, and yesterday Kevin told me he thinks it will be finished in late November. I didn’t do any custom neck width or anything, but they are creating a custom color paint for it, which both Kevin and Alistair have hinted might be challenging, though I greatly appreciate their trying to match the paint swatch I sent them.

What custom mods did you add to yours?
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 10-10-2018, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the X20 on order and welcome aboard! While this is a good place for discussing carbon fiber, there are also plenty of folks here to commiserate with while you wait.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
there are also plenty of folks here to commiserate with while you wait.

Or torture... not me of course ... but others.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-10-2018, 07:15 AM

It's great that you're here with the news of a new Emerald on it's way! I took a good, long look at the Nylon X20 before ordering a regular X20 with an 1-7/8"nut. I have to say, though, I still think about what it'd be like to have the nylon version. Of course I wonder what it'd be like to have an X30, a baritone, etc., etc.!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the order. Can't wait to see it. Make sure you post lots of photos!
Old 10-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Guest 928

The Cordoba is a nice guitar. I think you'll find the 20 nylon to be a keeper. I found it to be a great instrument.

Five months is a long, long wait. The trick is to not think about how slow the time goes by. And don't be looking at other pictures of X20s. And stay away from this forum where people are receiving and talking about their great new instruments. Oh, and don't forget to call Emerald daily to check on progress. Also, be sure and double-think everything you've ordered--for example, have you seen the new veneers?

Enjoy the wait, I hope you're young enough to enjoy the guitar when it finally gets to your hands.

And watch out for Kramster--he tends to torture waiters.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:10 AM

So glad to have company while I wait!

@WickedWahine: I think we're two peas in a pod. I loved the CF body of my Rainsong, loved the nylon strings on my Cordoba, and the result was I had to have a nylon string with a CF body. The mods I asked for mimic a classical guitar, so:
  1. 52mm nut width (@new2guitar_eh)
  2. 59mm E-to-E string width at saddle
  3. 12-frets to body
  4. Flat fret board

I asked for standard black, so I don't think there should be any challenges with color/finishes. But you can be sure I'll be posting photos of this beauty once it arrives (@Methos1979).
Old 10-10-2018, 06:43 PM

I'll be very interested in hearing all about it once it arrives given you are making it a classical guitar spec wise!

Rest assured you'll have a crew of us darn near as eager as you are to have it arrive
Old 10-10-2018, 06:49 PM

Get it yet?? Guess I should wait another week before I ask.... so sorry...sorta
Old 03-28-2019, 09:28 PM

Got word it was finished today! Should be shipped tomorrow! I wonder if it'll show up on a shipping video.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Congrats ! Hope you can make some recordings to share. I'd love to hear it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber