The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 PM

Ooh I like that snow camo! It seems that the KMs had camo on the head and the McPherson does not.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:27 AM

I haven’t had a motorcycle in 30 plus years, but I share the flying and sailing passions with the good CA as lifelong pursuits. Just last year we bought a used motor home and have started traveling that way as well, with a CF guitar of course(just to keep it on track).
Now which CF to take on our next trip.....
Old 07-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
I haven’t had a motorcycle in 30 plus years, but I share the flying and sailing passions with the good CA as lifelong pursuits. Just last year we bought a used motor home and have started traveling that way as well, with a CF guitar of course(just to keep it on track).
Now which CF to take on our next trip.....
Quite a conundrum, deciding which CF guitar to take traveling. You could put them on a rotation.

For some history, our last plane was a Beech Baron - I enjoyed the immediacy of flying. My wife suggested getting a motorhome, and I was not in favor of that. It took a year of traveling by RV to change my way of thinking... so nice to have all your amenities with you and not have to schlep your stuff back and forth as you travel.

I used to joke about each conveyance getting slower: airplane > motorhome > sailboat. I was concerned the next move would be onto a burro.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

After some time around the motorhome in the morning, including some guitar time (see how I worked that in?) - we spent the afternoon doing more scooter cruising...

No, those Harley riders weren't chasing us - but, we weren't holding them up, either.

A break for a stretch...

Lot of fun riding in the Black Hills...

Old 07-10-2018, 06:28 PM

Some more photoage from 2015...

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Little Bambi got out on the road yesterday...

The rest of the day's ride was all about the curves...

And, some guitar time before and after. I like days like this.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 AM

I've been toying with the idea of getting a motorcycle for years but I'm worried with all of the deer around here. They're like pigeons and have no fear of people. A coworker's son was taking his girlfriend back home on his bike at night when they hit a deer. An antler went through his eye socket and came out by his brow. By some miracle, he didn't lose his eye.

It's cool to see that some of you are into general aviation. I fly for a living so I haven't thought about renting a plane in a long time but some of my friends are starting to get back into it so they've piqued my curiosity. Rental prices have gone up significantly though!

As far as sailing goes, my wife loves to go fishing so I'm slowly working on her to get a boat. At the rate that I'm going, I don't think I'll own one in my lifetime.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwild View Post
I've been toying with the idea of getting a motorcycle for years but I'm worried with all of the deer around here. They're like pigeons and have no fear of people. A coworker's son was taking his girlfriend back home on his bike at night when they hit a deer. An antler went through his eye socket and came out by his brow. By some miracle, he didn't lose his eye.

It's cool to see that some of you are into general aviation. I fly for a living so I haven't thought about renting a plane in a long time but some of my friends are starting to get back into it so they've piqued my curiosity. Rental prices have gone up significantly though!

As far as sailing goes, my wife loves to go fishing so I'm slowly working on her to get a boat. At the rate that I'm going, I don't think I'll own one in my lifetime.
If you are thinking about a motorcycle, I would suggest you invest the time and minor cost into taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Usually, these are a two day (weekend) class; they provide the bikes. It's a good way to find out if it is something you will like, a tippy-toe in the water kinda thing; and it will be very helpful for your learning curve. At the end of these courses, you get a certificate you can take to your DMV (check to make sure this works in your state) to get a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license.

Just like with flying, someone without training on a motorcycle is a hazard to themselves and others. Also like flying, after you get the license and get some time in, there is a period of complacency ("Yeah, I've got this." ). Don't be that guy.

Riding has been a part of our lives since before Joan and I were married. We no longer have the desire for long distance riding (there are more comfortable ways to travel for some of us seasoned citizens), but we still enjoy the fun feeling of take a bike through the twisties. Having made the switch from motorcycles to scooters five years ago turned out to be even more fun. And, easy. Another rider described it to me as: Superman's bicycle!

Some people think a scooter is for people who can't handle a motorcycle... OK, I used to think that way, too. Certainly not the case - think of it more like the difference between driving an automatic and manual transmission car.

People who don't ride will tell you about all the terrible things they "know" regarding what happens to motorcycle riders. Like most things in life (aviation included) there are some trade-offs to get the satisfaction; learning to ride safely and defensively is key.

Life is uncertain. Take joy where you can.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:53 PM

If you are going to fly, the biggest thing is to take your time. Rushing things will get you in trouble. This is even more often the case in an emergency situation. More than a few of the student pilots I started with would love to tell their stories, but many of them have to let someone else figure out what happened because they are somewhat dead. Read the safety reports and mishap accounts. A few are due to problems outside the plane, but the majority involve someone taking a shortcut either in training, maintenance or vigilance.

Work on your instrument work before you even do your first solo. Being able to fly by instruments should be a basic skill for any pilot. Remember aviate, navigate, communicate!

Now back to your regularly scheduled guitar discussions.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-12-2018, 02:03 AM

I hear ya, Captain Jim. Believe me, I have a great respect for motorcycles and don’t assume anything. A riding course is a very good suggestion.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Photos. I'll probably get around to photographing a guitar with this new camera. I have a GoPro (Hero 3 Black) that I find incredibly frustrating. So much so that I haven't used it in a very long time. Left it home. I had read that the Hero 6 and Hero 2018 are easier to deal with. In doing some online research, I came across other action cameras that do much the same for a fraction of the price. I ordered an Akaso V50 Pro, and have had it for a week or so.

I have been having a lot of fun with this inexpensive camera ($119 with a bunch of accessories). It does 4k video and 20mg stills. And, dare I say, it is pretty darn easy to use.

Attached it to the Vespa today and we did a 100 mile loop on the scoots...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/07...ckup-tour.html

The videos are raw - no editing, no music over. The still photos have been big fun: I have a remote that is watch-like; strap it to the left grip and I can shoot photos without taking my hand off the grip.

Riding is a part of my life - it's what goes with my guitar as "better than therapy."
Old 07-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
If you are going to fly, the biggest thing is to take your time. Rushing things will get you in trouble. This is even more often the case in an emergency situation. More than a few of the student pilots I started with would love to tell their stories, but many of them have to let someone else figure out what happened because they are somewhat dead. Read the safety reports and mishap accounts. A few are due to problems outside the plane, but the majority involve someone taking a shortcut either in training, maintenance or vigilance.

Work on your instrument work before you even do your first solo. Being able to fly by instruments should be a basic skill for any pilot. Remember aviate, navigate, communicate!

Now back to your regularly scheduled guitar discussions.
I too fly for a living, and my favorite aviation saying(life saying too) is “Stupid happens fast”! That, and there is no such thing as an emergency takeoff unless they are shooting at you.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
I too fly for a living, and my favorite aviation saying(life saying too) is “Stupid happens fast”! That, and there is no such thing as an emergency takeoff unless they are shooting at you.
My favorite aviation saying is, “Hold my beer, and watch this!” And it works for guitars too.

I started with motorcycles (Honda 90 scrambler) at 14, aviation and guitar in my early 20’s. Didn’t stick with the guitar long. Deployments, wife and kids. Not much time for guitars. Took up again a few years after retirement.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

After reading through some of the other threads here, "what goes with your guitar" may well be... a wait!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Guest 928

Jim;

If you're thinking what I'm thinking, I think you may be on to something...........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber