The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Feedback with Bose L1 Compact Newbie

I've only recently begun to experiment with the Bose L1 C, so I don't know what's normal.

I get guitar feedback when I crank the unit's volume up to 3 O'Clock, so like 80%+ of what's available. That's feedback without playing anything. Yes that is super high, but I'm trying to get a feel for this thing. This is in my living room, with a Martin Road Series guitar with the Sonitone plugged directly in (my GPC-28E with the Aura VT Enhance fed back more easily, but that has more controls so....). This was with me standing behind the unit. The central living room area measures 14 X 23 or so feet, with cathedral ceilings and it's an open plan with extra space all over the place--to the kitchen, foyer, etc.

The output on my guitar was set very high, probably 70%. Again, playing around here. But I find the output on these Martins to be relatively low so I crank things up.

Haven't had a chance to do vocals yet. With the guitar not plugged in, zero feedback at 100% gain on the Bose, so I expect the unit is fine.

Would appreciate info on the following:

1. Is the feedback I'm generating in that scenario normal
2. Would the noise in a loud bar mask the guitar a bit from generating that feedback, or make it worse.
3. Will the T1 Tonematch reduce or eliminate that problem.

I'll add that in my very quick test, the sound quality was very good up to moderate volume--especially nice since this was the Sonitone, without Tonematch or other mixer wizardy. When the L1 C was cranked way up but short of feedback range, the sound was pretty sloppy with bass. Of course the C isn't designed to blow the doors off and I had no EQ (other than bass/treble on the guitar if that counts) but still, just noting that.

If I keep my Bose L1C, 90% of its use will be in settings that don't require anything like maximum volume, but if I try to use this for these brief sets I do in my duo when my friend's band is resting between breaks, I want to know if I can expect a fighting chance to be heard--we don't need to fill the room the same way as the four-piece cover band.

Thanks for any wisdom.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:31 AM

I play with the Bose indoors a lot. Currently I’m using the bigger model S, but have also used the C quite a bit. Here’s my 2 cents worth:

You’re room is acoustically live with lots of echos. Which means you can’t crank up the volume too high without getting feedback. The size of the room is less important than what’s on the walls and ceiling. Also, your room (like all rooms) has a resonance that will accentuate certain frequencies. Which will make feedback more likely.

Take your Bose outside, crank up the volume, stand off to the side and listen to the results. Run a sound track through it so you can walk around and listen to the unit on high volume. You will discover that your room is the problem.

Next, take your Bose into the bedroom, and try the same experiment. Typically bedrooms are less acoustically live because of the bed, curtains and floor covering. When I play indoors, I do so in a smaller room with the Bose aimed into the curtains from a couple feet away. I can get loud enough for practice, but the max volume is going to be about 3 out of 10.

The T1 preamp is fabulous and you will be able to notch out the resonances, and improve the sound a huge amount and reduce the feedback. It’s pricey but worth the price. I played with the C a lot without the T1 before I finally spent the money. You will never regret investing in that piece of equipment. You will thank me for guiding you in that direction. It makes a great PA system into an amazingly high qualty live-sound system for both vocals and instruments. I was always a little frustrated with my Bose units untill I got the T1.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 AM

And here’s another comment: the Bose sound propagates differently than other speaker systems. You’re hearing about the same level volume as the audience. When I play live, I’m always a bit surprised that I don’t need to crank the volume up higher. Of course its louder up front than in the back of the room, but the difference isn’t as great as you would expect. Typical PA’s blast the people in front so people in back can hear. That’s not needed with Bose.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
And here’s another comment: the Bose sound propagates differently than other speaker systems. You’re hearing about the same level volume as the audience. When I play live, I’m always a bit surprised that I don’t need to crank the volume up higher. Of course its louder up front than in the back of the room, but the difference isn’t as great as you would expect. Typical PA’s blast the people in front so people in back can hear. That’s not needed with Bose.
Thanks for those detailed responses! Yeah I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the T1, despite its costing half the entire value of the Compact and not being able to plug directly in to the unit (the latter aggravates me more tbh).

It's funny, I was driving around near a couple of Guitar Centers that stated online they had both the Tonematch and the separate power supply; at GC number one, they only had the latter; ag GC number two, neither. Which is fine, I didn't need it that day or anything.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:53 PM

Have fun and report back. It took me a while to get the hang of using the T1, because there is so much capability built into it.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:03 PM

Yes the Bose system will feed back. Last show we played through the big Bose, the come and go house PA person boosted the level up to be heard sufficiently at the back of the club. Her call not ours after she walked the room. We had feed back issues with the vocal for the next 20 minutes until I got down off the bandstand and turned down the board. Small stage and moving the tower or mics was not an option. Loud noise in the bar will not help with feedback.

At that point you either have to rely on some kind of electronic feedback killer, change placement of mics or tower, or turn down.

hunter
Old 01-23-2018, 03:12 PM

Default CHRISCOM WAIT!!!

Chriscom - brother WAIT on buying that T1!!!

Look into QSC and Behringer.. especially Behringer IF cost is an issue.

Both these digital mixers are much more modern and feature-rich than the T1 OR the NEW Bose mixers.

PLUS, and this is HUGE.. they interface with tablet / phone apps that allow Walk Around Mixing, WITH a much easier to use interface than Bose. The Bose mixers use DOS-like black/white screens that you have to walk your way through, and back - to get from one control & feature to another. Now that I mention it - the DOS-Windows(or Mac) comparison is very accurate.

Check em out.. you'll be glad you did!

Best luck, Mike
Old 01-23-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Chriscom - brother WAIT on buying that T1!!!

Look into QSC and Behringer.. especially Behringer IF cost is an issue...
Thank you, Mike, I will do just that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification