The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2017, 10:19 PM

Default Time for neck reset?

Bought a 1967 000-18 from a forum sponsor (consignment sale) about a month ago. LOVE the guitar and tone, but just recently noticed that that string height at the 12th freight is significantly higher than at the nut. The saddle, especially at the high E sting, is very low. I can measure and supply numerical values if it helps.

Questions:
(1) how do I know when I need a neck reset? No obvious playability issues (yet), no fret buzz.

(2) if needed, how do I find someone to do it? I am in a rural area and know of only one "martin authorized" luthier--2 hours away. Do I contact the Martin factory?

Cost is not really an issue. I love the guitar and want it done "right".

Thanks so much for any help!
2015 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
2014 Voyage-Air
2018 Fender Players Series Stratocaster
1981 Fender Statocaster
Old 07-13-2017, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Well for one, the action at the 12th fret should be significantly higher than at the nut. And the saddle at the high E isn't typically tall. Measure the action at the 12th fret at both E's and it should be close to 3/32 in., give or take 1/64 at the low E and a little lower at the high E. You can also place a straight edge across the frets and towards the bridge and the straight edge should just hit approx the top of the bridge. Those are general starting points. Also, I would say if you bought it from a forum sponsor you are probably OK.

Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50

Last edited by dragon1952; 07-13-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:40 PM

First thing youll need to know is if your neck relief is correct. Your chiropractor will know best.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:33 AM

Thanks, Dragon! That makes me feel better and this newbie appreciates the info.
Looks like I am right at 3/32 at the low E. Wish I could easily insert an image here.
2014 Voyage-Air
1981 Fender Statocaster
Old 07-14-2017, 06:42 AM

Recall that you can't adjust the neck on a 1967 Martin, no adjustable truss rod, so the relief you have is the relief you get (barring surgery). 3/32 on the low E is what I look for, too, and 1/16" on the high E, at the 12th fret.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:43 AM

Default Is my neck angle ok?

oops. Wrong thread.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 07-14-2017, 08:54 AM

My guess is that a '67 will probably need a reset. Martin can do it for you. If you want a reputable authorized shop to do it, you might also contact Third Coast Guitar Repair in Chicago. They have the ability and experience to take care of it.

Should you choose to have the neck reset it is probably a good time to have it refretted as well. It will give the luthier an opportunity to plane the fingerboard if necessary to get everything even and flat while the neck is off the guitar and frets are removed.

You probably know this, but with either Martin or Third Coast, it can take months from the time you send it in until you get it back.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

If it plays good, don't worry about it - when it gets to be difficult to play, get it done. In the meantime, check out all the local resources, as well as shops outside your area, and if you find a couple that you feel good about, get a quote and make a plan. Most good shops are gonna have work lined up, so keep that in mind when you're planning-
Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
My guess is that a '67 will probably need a reset.....
Possibly, but age makes no difference. Some guitars will need to be re-set after 2 years (rare) and some will go 80 years (rare) most will need it around 30-50 and so yours may have already been re-set. You'll need a re-set when you no longer can lower the saddle enough to get your action at the 12th fret. If you are 3/32" at the 12th you are fine. Yes, it's nice to have a bit more saddle showing (2/16" would be ideal), but 1/16" is OK on a '67.

Just as dragon showed you, you measure from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string at the 12th fret and ideally, if you place a long straight edge on the fret board, it should just rest on top of the bridge. You'll likely be a bit lower on the '67 but again that's OK as long as your action is OK.

This would be too low for me:

If and when you do need a neck re-set, I'd avoid Martin as the back log is 6-8 months. You should be able to find a local luthier that can turn it around in a few weeks and on a 50 year old guitar, you may need a re-fret and new saddle. My guy is about $300-350 for a re-set, $300 for a re-fret and $50-75 for a saddle. You can ask here for recommendations in your area. Or simply ship it to one of the recommended places. I use David Eichelbaum. Dennis Berck, Brothers Music, Bryan Kimsey, and many others can get it done right and relatively quickly.

Here is a Martin spec sheet for action at the 12th and relief (which is non-adjustable on a '67)

My first "real" guitar was a '66 000-18.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:36 PM

You do not necessarily need a "Martin Authorized" technician. This is not warranty work where to be covered you "must" take it to someone that Martin authorizes. However, you do need someone who knows what they are about. Neck resets are major surgery, but once done, the guitar should be stable for decades. The person who recommended having new frets done and the fretboard planned if needed gave good advice.

You said that you were in a "rural area." That narrows it down to being on planet earth, I assume. If you provide something more specific I would bet that someone on the forum might be able to provide some information of a good technician who is a reasonable drive from your location.

I live in a city with a lot of good techs. Nevertheless, I recently drove 90 miles each way to take a '64 Martin that I have to a guy who I trusted for a reset, frets, etc.

Avoid shipping your guitar, if at all possible. Do a few searches for threads about guitars damaged in shipping if you want to know why.

Once you have a tech identified, take the guitar there for an assessment. You might also be able to buy some time even if it needs a reset if there is room to shave the saddle a little bit.

In the meantime, enjoy your guitar. Sounds like a nice one.

TW
Old 07-14-2017, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafranks View Post
Thanks, Dragon! That makes me feel better and this newbie appreciates the info.
Looks like I am right at 3/32 at the low E. Wish I could easily insert an image here.
You're welcome but now noticing your signature full of nice gits I'm wondering if you were really serious. Certainly you had to at least know about the action
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50
Old 07-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
First thing youll need to know is if your neck relief is correct. Your chiropractor will know best.
LOL, I like that!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 PM

Thanks so much to everyone for the helpful replies.

Mycroft--I am in southern Arkansas (about as rural as one can get) and don't personally know a reputable luthier but could find one with some investigation no doubt. Advice is welcome here.

Dragon---no sarcasm, i promise. I have several nice guitars I have acquired over the last few years but have been fortunate in that none have needed any repairs. Thus i have a hole in my knowledge base about such things. I really do appreciate the input.
2014 Voyage-Air
1981 Fender Statocaster
Old 07-15-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafranks View Post
Thanks so much to everyone for the helpful replies.

Mycroft--I am in southern Arkansas (about as rural as one can get) and don't personally know a reputable luthier but could find one with some investigation no doubt. Advice is welcome here.

Dragon---no sarcasm, i promise. I have several nice guitars I have acquired over the last few years but have been fortunate in that none have needed any repairs. Thus i have a hole in my knowledge base about such things. I really do appreciate the input.
You might want to start another thread with a post asking about a good vintage guitar repair tech somewhat near your location. Maybe in Little Rock or Baton Rouge if nothing is closer. But certainly Memphis will have someone.

Best of luck with your new baby.

TW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion