The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 02:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

All great choices, folks. "Here, There and Everywhere" is a perfect pop song, maybe in the way "Caroline, No," is from Brian Wilson.

scott memmer
Old 10-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

You know, it's actually sweet that there are so many hopeless romantics here, but the Beatles tend to bring out the romance in everyone, one way or another. Maybe there's hope for us all after all!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I disn't really like the Beatles, I was in west London and my "thing" was r 7 b - the stones, Cyril Davies, Alexis Korner and such, but I did find a copy of love me do at the school club and liked it, and so pinched it.I thought it might get into the top 20!

I bought Sgt Pepper because I knew I could get it before Philip Selwood and take it round to his girlfriends house and play it to her before him. Haha - I got the girl!

Favorite tracks mainly came from that :For the benefit of Mr Kite,and A Day In the life.Then I bought the Magical Mystery Tour EP and liked I Am the walrus.

I also liked Norwegian wood - can't remember where it came from.

The change happened when they decided to stop touring because of the audience noise and decided to become a recording band. Good move.

I really think that the Beatles had a bigger effect in the USA than in the UK.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:31 PM

"Hey, Jude" because the entire repeditive ending always gives me goosebumps, and I also find the story behind the song pretty interesting.

For somewhat sentimental reasons, I love "Ticket To Ride" -- it was one of the first songs I learned when I started playing guitar as a kid. And then over a decade ago, I got to stare at John's original handwritten lyric sheet to that song in the British Library in London.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I disn't really like the Beatles, I was in west London and my "thing" was r 7 b - the stones, Cyril Davies, Alexis Korner...
Were/are you a Pretty Things fan?

I always felt they were criminally underrated.

I love The Beatles AND The Stones. I may be the only person on Earth, however, who thinks The Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" is a better psych album than Sgt. Peppers (though "A Day In The Life" is one of my favorite songs by anybody.

Funny thing about the Beatles/Stones dichotomy is that The Stones always had that reputation of being really bad boys, as in "lock up yer daughters!" and The Beatles had the more clean cut, goody-good image (thanks in part to Brian Epstein...The Beatles were a sweaty, ferocious band of rockers early on.)

But the fact is, The Stones were far more middle class than John, Paul, George and Richard Starkey were. The Stones went to college...art school...Mick was studying to be an accountant and go work at his father's firm.

The boys in The Beatles, though, grew up rough and hungry on the Liverpool docks.

- John Shedd
Old 10-23-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post
Were/are you a Pretty Things fan?

I always felt they were criminally underrated.

I love The Beatles AND The Stones. I may be the only person on Earth, however, who thinks The Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" is a better psych album than Sgt. Peppers (though "A Day In The Life" is one of my favorite songs by anybody.

Funny thing about the Beatles/Stones dichotomy is that The Stones always had that reputation of being really bad boys, as in "lock up yer daughters!" and The Beatles had the more clean cut, goody-good image (thanks in part to Brian Epstein...The Beatles were a sweaty, ferocious band of rockers early on.)

But the fact is, The Stones were far more middle class than John, Paul, George and Richard Starkey were. The Stones went to college...art school...Mick was studying to be an accountant and go work at his father's firm.

The boys in The Beatles, though, grew up rough and hungry on the Liverpool docks.
Pretty Things, Small Faces, Yardbirds, Them, early Who, early Kinks for sure, all rougher sounding (in a good way) than the Stones.

The Beatles' American influences were Chuck Berry and Little Richard, the Stones' were Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf, the Stones somehow parlayed that into "we're more authentic" than the Beatles but I'm not buying it.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Pretty Things, Small Faces, Yardbirds, Them, early Who, early Kinks for sure, all rougher sounding (in a good way) than the Stones.

The Beatles' American influences were Chuck Berry and Little Richard, the Stones' were Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf, the Stones somehow parlayed that into "we're more authentic" than the Beatles but I'm not buying it.
The Beatles American Influences were far more numerous than just the two you mentioned. They ran the gamut. Lennon was heavily swayed toward the R&B artists of the time. Folks like Smokey Robinson et al. Harrison was a huge Chet Atkins fan and emulated his guitar playing style. McCartney and Lennon both loved Buddy Holly. As I said, they ran the gamut.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-24-2018, 08:58 AM

this conversation has interestingly strayed a bit and no doubt will get back on track soon but Im going to jump on the stray while its here and say I never was a Beatles fan, though there were a few tunes I really liked. My best friend was a fan and dwhen I expressed my sentiments he was truly offended. My preference is American sound like Doobie Brotheres, Listen tothe Music. For the English sound I like Kinks, So tired of Waiting etc.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
- I got the girl!

The question remains, "still got the girl?"
Old 10-24-2018, 01:49 PM

Page 18 and I still can not single out a single song as my all time favorite one.
So even though my answer will not be a correct one, I pick the year 1964.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:51 PM

I am the walrus!
Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come.

I can see that happening!
Old 11-17-2018, 03:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Page 18 and I still can not single out a single song as my all time favorite one.
So even though my answer will not be a correct one, I pick the year 1964.
Great year. I think that was the year my fave early tune came out -- "She Loves You." What a perfect pop song.

sm
Old 11-17-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I Want You (She's So Heavy).
I wondered if anybody was going to mention that one. That opening bass guitar roll is pure monster. Nothing like it before or since.

Also, for me:

Here Comes the Sun
Get Back
Yesterday

2nd tier, but close:
We Can Work It Out
Nowhere Man

Back to the original question - if I were stranded on a deserted island with only ONE Beatles song to listen to 24/7.... tough one... I think Here Comes the Sun. Ok, I voted, I can go eat supper now. Whew.

Last edited by Ruark; 11-17-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:42 PM

All my Loving.

Great tune, great harmony and melody and chords, and a perfect guitar solo. It's everything good about pop music condensed into 2 minutes.

If I get 2...yikes...I'll take Michelle, for sentimental reasons...my first love (and crushing heartbreak) was a Michelle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-17-2018, 05:48 PM

Today I'm going with "you've got to hide your love away."
Those early Lennon vocals were golden.
scott
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion