The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Steel Rail Blues by Gordon Lightfoot (cover)

I learned "Steel Rail Blues" about 50 years ago when I was first introduced to Gordon Lightfoot's first album, "Lightfoot!" My 1967 Martin D-35 is the guitar I learned this song on, so it seemed appropriate to use this guitar on this great old song today. It's a great exercise for learning Travis style picking.

I have always loved that turnaround at the end of each verse and I like the chord progression for the bridge between most of the verses. To me this song seems like it should be played with some exuberance, so my Travis picking is not super accurate or precise. I do a fair amount of palm muting on the low E during the Travis picking to add a little percussive element to the accompaniment, hopefully slightly reminiscent of those old steam locomotives that I remember from my childhood. They were smoky, incredibly noisy machines, but they seemed kind of magic and frightening at the same time. They certainly evoke a feeling of longing in the distance, especially that deep sounding steam whistle.

Thanks for listening!

- Glenn
Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM

wow !! love that tune ! great job !!!
Old 07-16-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
wow !! love that tune ! great job !!!
Hi Eyesore!

Well, that's cool! I'm so glad you like this! Thanks for watching and thanks for taking the time to comment here!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 07-16-2019, 04:01 PM

I love your renditions of the tunes that you play . keep up the great work!
Old 07-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I love your renditions of the tunes that you play . keep up the great work!
Thank you again Eyesore!

It's great to have your support and encouragement! Much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 07-16-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Hi Glen,

I enjoyed that - a Lightfoot favorite.

Speaking of eyesores, I tuned into your youtube channel again and watched Bus Stop just now. I thought my eyes had finally gone to the waste bin when I looked at that Rickenbacker. I kept counting 12 strings but only six tuning pegs. It took me awhile to figure out that half the tuning pegs are on backwards.

Regards,

CK
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 07-16-2019, 06:08 PM

Great job, Glen. But I think you should have had about four days’ growth and a black stocking cap on to really sell this one. I’m joking of course, but that’s how I’ve always envisioned the character in this, one of my favorite GL songs.

The picking pattern is cool, and the energy stays up all the way through. I’ve always had to take in a big gulp of air in a few spots in this one.

On another note, have you ever played Christopher Cross’s Sailing? It is in an open tuning, and I think you’d really capture the spirit of that one.

Anyway, thanks for posting.
Roger

Ps... loved the railroad scenes in the background.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:45 PM

Glenn,

Thanks for another great Lightfoot song.

Glad you are old enough to remember the steam trains. Most of my childhood we lived about a quarter mile from the B&O in southern Illinois. Nothing better than laying by an open window on a summer night listening to a east bound freight on the downhill grade. Steam whistles were great dream makers for a young boy.

I ended up retiring from the Union Pacific. Sad to say, those diesel horns just don't cut it.

Keep those good ones coming.

Rendall
Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

That was good Glenn, great job!

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Hi Glen,

I enjoyed that - a Lightfoot favorite.

Speaking of eyesores, I tuned into your youtube channel again and watched Bus Stop just now. I thought my eyes had finally gone to the waste bin when I looked at that Rickenbacker. I kept counting 12 strings but only six tuning pegs. It took me awhile to figure out that half the tuning pegs are on backwards.

Regards,

CK
Hi CK!

Thanks so much for your comments!

I'm glad you got to watch "Bus Stop," too. I agree, the headstock on that Rickenbacker looks kind of weird. I have gotten used to it, but in the beginning I had much the same reaction as you did. Why did they do that?

I can only guess that they thought a long headstock with 12 tuners on it looked even worse, but who knows. Half the tuning keys come out sideways, like a typical model steel string guitar, and the other half come out the back, like a classical guitar. Restringing this guitar is just awful. But... there really is no other electric 12-string guitar that sounds like a Rickenbacker. It has a unique sound and if a person likes that sound, as I do, well, then a person is just stuck with that weird headstock and that very thin nut width ( 1 5/8" for a 12-string, can you believe that!!???). It sure is a throwback to the Byrds and to George Harrison and to Tom Petty.

Thanks so much for listening and taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Great job, Glen. But I think you should have had about four days’ growth and a black stocking cap on to really sell this one. I’m joking of course, but that’s how I’ve always envisioned the character in this, one of my favorite GL songs.

The picking pattern is cool, and the energy stays up all the way through. I’ve always had to take in a big gulp of air in a few spots in this one.

On another note, have you ever played Christopher Cross’s Sailing? It is in an open tuning, and I think you’d really capture the spirit of that one.

Anyway, thanks for posting.
Roger

Ps... loved the railroad scenes in the background.
Hi Roger!

It's always great to hear from you Roger!

You know, I had much the same thought about needing to look unkempt when singing this song. One more story about a guy who just can't help being a guy...

I never was all that irresponsible in my life, so I would not have been that guy in the song. I would have done anything to avoid messing up my chance to see my girl.

I am not good with even one day of growth on my beard, either. I have thick, coarse, curly hair, and though the hair on my head is thinning, the hear on my face is not. Letting my beard grow drives my crazy with itching as the hair curls back into my face.

I have never played Christopher Cross's song, "Sailing," though I know the song from his great Grammy winning album from way back. I will have to add this to my list and go look this up and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for listening and commenting Roger! I hope you are doing well!

- Glenn
Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sower View Post
Glenn,

Thanks for another great Lightfoot song.

Glad you are old enough to remember the steam trains. Most of my childhood we lived about a quarter mile from the B&O in southern Illinois. Nothing better than laying by an open window on a summer night listening to a east bound freight on the downhill grade. Steam whistles were great dream makers for a young boy.

I ended up retiring from the Union Pacific. Sad to say, those diesel horns just don't cut it.

Keep those good ones coming.

Rendall
Hi Rendall!

Wow, I really appreciate your comments!

I grew up in Lakewood, OH, a town just west of Cleveland, OH along the south side of Lake Erie. The railroad tracks run east-west right through the middle of Lakewood between Detroit Ave and Clifton Blvd heading into Cleveland. My family lived just south of the tracks, probably also about 1/4-mile, like you. And I have the same memory of the windows being open on the hot summer nights and the trains going by in the night.

I was born in 1948 so I remember the steam locomotives very well. I don't think they changed over to diesel-electric locomotives until I was in Junior High School, maybe 13-14 years old. I loved being near the tracks when those huge locomotives came by. What an experience!

That's great that you got to work for the Union Pacific. Some real history there!

Thanks so much for your comments!

- Glenn
Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That was good Glenn, great job!
Thank you Barry!

Great to hear from you! I'm so glad you thought this came out well! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 PM

I enjoyed your playing and singing. Thanks for Sharing.
Bert
Old 07-17-2019, 04:05 AM

Aw yes! I always thought of Dylan when I heard this song. Jim Croce stated that Gordan Lightfoot was an inspiration to him and if you ever listen to any of Jim and Ingrid's early recordings you can certainly hear it. Especially with this song.
Great job on the picking and singing. You flowed nicely into the falsetto.(right on pitch I might add) Travis played mostly Martins(Bigsby Martins) when he played acoustic. That D35 sounded great!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell