The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-02-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
My mistake and my apologies to Mr. Bream. I had read (on the internet…I should have known better) that he had passed away not long after he retired. I wish him a long and comfortable retirement. He is not performing anymore so that does draw a distinction between him and Williams.

Dave
Julian Bream still plays privately,, He has stated that he is a better musician now than he was at 50, but a touch of arthritis is preventing him demonstrating that,, John Williams is retired from concert touring,, but i would not be suprised to see him perform in London now and then,
Many fine young players comming up, but surpassing Bream and Williams will be a task and a half,,,
Wendell
Old 01-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell123 View Post
Julian Bream still plays privately,, He has stated that he is a better musician now than he was at 50, but a touch of arthritis is preventing him demonstrating that,, John Williams is retired from concert touring,, but i would not be suprised to see him perform in London now and then,
Many fine young players comming up, but surpassing Bream and Williams will be a task and a half,,,
Wendell
Good grief! Apparently I know nothing about these people so I will refrain from commenting further. My apologies for joining this thread.

Dave
Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM

Default We're all in this together!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Good grief! Apparently I know nothing about these people so I will refrain from commenting further. My apologies for joining this thread.

Dave
No need to apologize (not to me anyway). We've all read and believed stuff online that turned out to be wrong or inaccurate. I appreciate your presence and comments on this thread and sincerely hope you'll reconsider and continue to keep the conversation here alive.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
No need to apologize (not to me anyway). We've all read and believed stuff online that turned out to be wrong or inaccurate. I appreciate your presence and comments on this thread and sincerely hope you'll reconsider and continue to keep the conversation here alive.
I agree with Trevor, I have followed these players for years
otherwise i would not know about them,,, Im a guy who has trouble walking and chewing gum at the the same time.

W
Old 01-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

As a classical guitar major at a guitar program headed by Parkening in the mid-1980s, I remember not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about the Maestro's (Segovia) teaching methods based on the stories I was made aware of . But I still own many Segovia recordings and respect him for what he did to further the instrument. I always preferred Bream and Williams' playing, but they stood on the shoulders of Segovia to reach higher. Just like younger players are doing with them. Still, I don't think I've heard any younger players who's tone and interpretation I enjoy more than these giants. And my favorite older player has been Manuel Barruecco for many years. His "300 Years of Guitar Masterpieces" has always been one of my favorites. Specifically his renditions of great works by Albeniz and Scarlatti.

Also, regarding the Hendrix thing... I got obsessed with all things guitar in the 80s. So I missed the Hendrix boat. For that style I always preferred the huge tone and less sloppy playing of SRV. But when I put myself in Hendrix' era, where guys like Clapton, Page and Beck would go see Hendrix live... I can see why Jimi blew everyone's doors off. He was coming from another place and really turned the rock guitar world on its head. Same goes for EVH, and later-on Yngwie Malmsteen (who's always been my personal "guitar god" and ultimately the reason that I chose to study real classical guitar).

Anyways... I'll never be fond of Segovia's teaching methods, but he was a giant as a player and that can never be [successfully] argued against. I would trade a lifetime of anonymous internet pontificating for a moment of time on a major concert stage at his dizzying heights. And I don't get the inferences that he was a soulless technician. I always felt that he was the opposite of that. VERY toneful and expressive, but lacking in the technical skills of many/most of those concert greats who've come after.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:: But when I put myself in Hendrix' era, where guys like Clapton, Page and Beck would go see Hendrix live... I can see why Jimi blew everyone's doors off. He was coming from another place and really turned the rock guitar world on its head.

I cant really comment,, I hate distortion so much, any benefit
of the contributions of the above guitar players mentioned , would go over my head.

W
Old 01-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:: But when I put myself in Hendrix' era, where guys like Clapton, Page and Beck would go see Hendrix live... I can see why Jimi blew everyone's doors off. He was coming from another place and really turned the rock guitar world on its head.

I cant really comment,, I hate distortion so much, any benefit
of the contributions of the above guitar players mentioned , would go over my head.

W
Two words... different strokes.

Oh... and two more words... Chris Broderick.

You may not like his style or tone, but the guy is very competent at many styles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HScho...=RDq-ze51lEt3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4epN_moygOg
Old 01-17-2014, 05:48 PM

[QUOTE=Red_Label;3779812]Two words... different strokes.

Oh well , at least i have good taste in guitars

www.johnnywalkerguitars.com

W.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:18 PM

I am struck by the difference between Segovia and Tommy Emmanuel when it comes to helping other musicians gain exposure.

From Barrios World Wide:
"In June, 1920 Segovia was giving concerts in Montevideo. At the same time Barrios returned from Brazil to Montevideo, but not once during the five weeks that they were both in Uruguay did the two meet. It was not until 1921 that they met at a concert in Buenos Aires, introduced by a mutual friend. They spoke privately and Barrios proposed to visit. Barrios was the one who took the initiative and visited Segovia. Miguel Klinger declared of this encounter: ‘Barrios played a cascade of musical gems for the great Segovia who was surprised… but yet he was floored. One particular work he liked very much and indicated he would play in his concerts, he never played, and logically so: if he had played it with the extra ordinary abilities he possessed, he would have elevated Barrios to inaccessible heights thus distracting from his own artistic prestige.’ The work to which Klinger referred was La Catedral; of course Segovia only heard the first two sections because the third was not added by Barrios until some years later in Cuba.

It has also been suggested that Barrios never actually gave a copy of the original to Segovia as he didn’t have one with him at the time. Barrios had to ask a friend to send it from Uruguay; he wrote that letter on Nov. 22, ten days before Segovia left Buenos Aires. Whether the copy arrived before Segovia’s departure we can never be sure.

Despite being in a prime position to do so, Segovia never assisted Barrios in any way in the furthering of his career. He totally ignored the music of Barrios in both his concerts and discography. With the passage of years it became increasingly obvious to Barrios that Segovia was not his friend, and referred to the Maestro as ‘deaf in the heart.’ The seeming antipathy even went as far as Segovia banning the playing of any Barrios music in his master classes right into the 1970s."
Old 01-17-2014, 08:54 PM

You are correct Herb,,

I read the exact same thing in the authorized biography of John Williams
called Strings Attached,, It goes into detail of Segovias snubbing of
Barrios..

W
Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 PM

Barrios died at 1944. Segovia had no reason not to record Barrios music after his death , if he liked it.

Last edited by Paikon; 01-17-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
Barrios died at 1944. Segovia had no reason not to record Barrios music after his death , if he liked it.
First he would have had to admit to himself that it is okay to like contemporary music.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
First he would have had to admit to himself that it is okay to like contemporary music.
He played Villa Lobos.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:45 PM

What does Tommy Emmanuel have in common with John Williams? Ok , they are both Australia ? ? ? W

Old 01-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What does Tommy Emmanuel have in common with John Williams? Ok , they are both Australia ? ? ? W

Simple. They are both very fine guitar players.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical